Windows Vista Questions

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm thinking of taking the plunge to Vista, and have some questions. If I go the vista route, I'm going to go with the Ultimate edition, as it's the only flavor that has everything I need.

1 - I get the idea of the OEM copy, but are there certain components that you can or cannot change, or is it a total number of components, or how does that work? I've found a bunch of conflicting information online, does anyone have any experience with this?
2 - it looks like both the 32 and 64 bit versions are included, can I install either one, or do I have to upgrade to the same architecture as what I'm currently on - assuming I'm using an upgrade copy and not a new full copy.
3 - Should I just avoid eBay altogether for this?

Thanks
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2007
    At the risk of getting an unauthorized copy, buy it retail. Are you building a computer or just adding it to an existing system? Either way if you have more than 2gb of memory, you will have one update that is a bit of a pain to install. If this is the case, let me know, it's not hard to do, but it is a pain.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited October 2007
    Also, looking at Newegg, if you buy an OEM version, you only get either the 64 bit or the 32 bit, not both. You only get both if you buy the retail version. That and the OEM version is designed for computer builders so if you are adding this to an existing system that was commercially produced you may violate that contract. I don't know what system checks it does to verify this, but I would hate for you to spend the cash on it and it not work.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    I'm definitely in the system builder category, I'd never buy a mass produced PC. However, I'm having trouble finding out what the true limitations are of the OEM version. I know in XP it was the whole '7 out of 10' hardware check' rule, but I don't know what the rules for Vista are - I'm hearing that you can change out hardware, just that you have to reactivate it with MS.

i'm more interested in the upgrade question - if upgrading from XP to Vista, do I have to install the same 32 or 52 version that I'm running on XP, or can I install either one?
  • edbert
    edited October 2007
    If you do the upgrade disc from what you currently have, the price point is right between OEM and retail, but you don't have to adhere to the system builders rules and you do get both 32 and 64 bit versions as shown here.

I do not know about upgrading from 32bit XP to 64bit Vista, but I don't see why it would matter. An upgrade disc has the entire operating system on it, you are basically getting a price break for having already purchased another Microsoft O/S at some point. I bought an upgrade disc for XP Pro and used the serial number from MS ME from my old Dell and it worked just fine.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but what's the 7/10 deal with XP?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2007
    I was under the belief that the license key was valid for BOTH 32bit and 64bit versions of whichever version (Premium,Ultimate) of Vista you have.

I just bought a laptop with 32bit Vista Premium installed. As usual, it had tons of bloatware to bog down the system and didn't come with OS discs. However, I found that you can do a clean install with an "Anytime Upgrade Disc" ($5 from CompUSA), and even save and restore my OEM license key and not have to activate my real key (no phone home!).

As soon as Cisco gives me a VPN client that works with 64bit Vista I plan on re-installing with 64bit Premium. I hope the info that I've read about the key being valid for both versions holds true. I'm tempted to go ahead and order the 64bit upgrade disc just to try it out. But the thought of having to re-install 32bit afterwards to get work done is stopping me.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    In XP, there's a check on several hardware components (don't remember them off hand), it's supposed to be some kind of voting style hardware check, and you basically have to get 7 out of ten 'points' or you have to call MS to reactivate your product. I'm having trouble finding clarification on how this works with Vista.

I don't think it matters though, as I'm probably just going to go with the retail upgrade so that I can get both version - that is if I can find an answer on my 'upgrading from 64 Vista from 32 XP questions. I know it 'should' work, but does it really?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    I think I just found the answer to my questions, looks like going from 32 to 64 is a no-go:

Can I change the system type during the upgrade (for example, switch from 32-bit to 64-bit)?

A: No. Your upgrade disc must match your current system type. 32-bit upgrades are valid only for 32-bit systems and 64-bit upgrades are valid only for 64-bit systems.
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2007
    why not do a clean install instead of upgrade?
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited October 2007
    My vote goes for clean install. I had an extra HD so I just removed the old and installed on a clean disc. That way I could go back to the old OS without a problem. BTW, I used an upgrade disc (student version of Ultimate 32bit) and it never asked me for the old version (x64 XP was what I had).
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, i was going to do a clean install, but with the upgrade disc, can I do that? I figured they'd still check the 32 or 64 version...
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2007
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    That's just it, I'm getting conflicting answers...

I see the 'workaround' process that many people posted, but who knows how long before MS shuts that down.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    If he is giving both, and they are just in white cd sleeves they are the free copies that the beta tester got(I have them:D) 1 copy will soon be going on this machine, and the other on my P4 machine as soon as I get more ram for it. And if they do come in those sleeves they are not retail, and are not supposed to be resold.
  • PhantomOG
    edited October 2007
    I've seen countless websites with claims that all the "upgrade discs" contain the entire OS and that there is a valid workaround to allow a full clean install with said discs.

I've performed a full clean install with the Anytime upgrade disc bought from CompUSA for $5 (32 bit here, 64 bit here)
  • Sami
    edited October 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Yeah, i was going to do a clean install, but with the upgrade disc, can I do that? I figured they'd still check the 32 or 64 version...

You can do that. At least the disc that I got allowed it.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    I think so too. You need to hook me up with a 'student version' :D

Yeah, it looks like the upgrade part isn't an issue, but still no clear answer if I can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, but based on Sami's ability to go the otehr way, I'm sure it's possible.
  • Sami
    edited October 2007
    I did a clean install. Wife is still a student at UTA but the Vista upgrade wasn't cheap, $30 or so. :)
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2007
    DO NOT DO EBAY FOR THIS you may get a bootleged version. I am running vista right now no problems. If you get the 64-bit version you need a 64bit pross.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    I was thinking of buying into Vista as well. Are there anymore bugs in it, is it pretty much stable now? Have they released the 1st service pack yet?
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • edbert
    edited October 2007
    The only bug I know of is if you have more than 2 or 3gb of memory. It requests you to install an update, but you can't install it 2gb or less memory. That's some logic right there. Easy to get around, you just save the update with the memory in, shut it down, take out the memory, install the update, shut it down, put memory back in, and you're ready to go. That and SP1 is due out first quarter 08, so that should work out most bugs that are currently out there.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • PhantomOG
    edited November 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    The only bug I know of is if you have more than 2 or 3gb of memory. It requests you to install an update, but you can't install it 2gb or less memory. That's some logic right there. Easy to get around, you just save the update with the memory in, shut it down, take out the memory, install the update, shut it down, put memory back in, and you're ready to go. That and SP1 is due out first quarter 08, so that should work out most bugs that are currently out there.

Can you post a link to this info? I've never heard of an update like that. I know with the 32bit versions of Vista, only 3GB of physical memory is addressable, in order to see more than that, the 64bit version is required. My whole reason for wanting to upgrade was to get past the 3GB limit. If there is an update I'd like to see it, it will save me from having to re-install the 64bit version.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Can you post a link to this info? I've never heard of an update like that. I know with the 32bit versions of Vista, only 3GB of physical memory is addressable, in order to see more than that, the 64bit version is required. My whole reason for wanting to upgrade was to get past the 3GB limit. If there is an update I'd like to see it, it will save me from having to re-install the 64bit version.

I can say this, I recently rolled out a new server with 24 gigs of ram on it. Windows 2003 server X64 with Exchange 2007. Its amazing to watch that server actually manage 10 gigs of data IN RAM. Amazing... 64x computing is here!!!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2007
    Well I snagged a copy on the way home today, went ahead and bought the retail upgrade version, which had both discs in it. I've got the 32x version of Ultimate installed for now, may play with 64 a bit later on.

It's kind of a lot of money for a single piece of software, but I'll admit it's very slick. I haven't run across anything yet that won't run, but still have a dozen or so more games to install...

First thing I did, turned off that damn user access control...