Trouble in River City...a must read for forum partcipants

kab
kab Posts: 275
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
We all have to be occasionally reminded that the Forum is a public community, belonging to no one and belonging to all. There are acceptable rules of behavior and civil discourse. The rules are at the top of every thread. It’s not a bad idea for even the old timers to reread them.

As you know, Polk has always been tolerant and hesitant to interfere in the Forum – except when invited. It has worked well because many, even most, of the members and visitors are courteous and respectful.

Recently, we have banned two individuals. One justly. The other case was not as simple; the person certainly went over the line of acceptability but he was often goaded by others.

Equally troubling is that we are getting an increasing number of complaints about the Forum from recent members or visitors who feel they have been ridiculed or intimidated. Need I remind you that each of you was once a newbie. You can be assured that, no matter how “expert” you are, there is someone who knows more than you. I ask you to show the same graciousness and patience with those new to our Forum and to audio that you would want to receive from Matt Polk.

My challenge to each of you is to be sensitive to your own behavior. If someone is acting the fool, it’s probably because he or she is and it does no good to point that out. If someone is being abusive or provocative, a fight is just what he or she wants. Silence is the best weapon; a post to which there is no response speaks volumes. Finally, be tolerant to those who want to learn and help them along. They will remember your kindness.

Sincerely,
Al Ballard

VP, Customer Experience & Quality
Polk Audio
Post edited by kab on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited October 2007
    Well said Al! I guess I'll rejoin the fun and end my self imposed absence from the forum. I had bailed out on the forum for a little while due to all of the nonsense going on. I did peek at the flea market here and there, but stayed away from the rest.

I'll be good...I promise. :D

John
    No excuses!
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited October 2007
    I'm all fuh dat!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2007
    Nicely said!:)

Words of wisdom for us all to live by.
    Carl

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited October 2007
    How is he already a "marketing research vp" with only 59 posts! I have over 700 and I'm still a polkazoid!

(Good message, thanks.)
  • daesdaemar
    daesdaemar Posts: 34
    edited October 2007
    As a newbie, I agree... :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    I just kicked my dog a couple times, so I could feel better about myself.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Splash goes the poopus.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited October 2007
    Well, luckily my posts always display the best taste and decorum, so he can't possibly be referring to me.

.....unless, ....... uhm ....... okay, I'll stop doing what I was doing ! :o

.... unless I need to do more of what I was doing, in which case I'll do more of it !!

I'm flexible.

:)

I'm still a newbie; give me another couple of years, and I'll pretty much have my head extracted from my derriere (that's French for "butt", btw ..... see, learned something there, didn't you ? ;) ).
    In the meantime, I'll make a point to not abuse newbies, even though I am one.
    That would sort of mean I have to stop abusing myself, though, wouldn't it ?

I can't make any promises, but I'll try. :o

P.S. Thanks for the forum.
    P.P.S. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,442
    edited October 2007
    I went over to Doro's and kicked his dog a few more times.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I'll behave.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Wake up call......thanks for reminding us that we don't own the forum and we owe our best possible behaviour to Polk.

Now, where's that damn dog?????

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2007
    Nicely said Al
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Y'all leave that poor dog alone or I'll send over the MSPCA to arrest all of you & confiscate the dog! ;-)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    I'm a good dog don't worry... (At least not too much...he he)... lol...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    Thank you, Polk Audio, for hosting this Forum.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    Thanks KAB

I must say as a pretty new guy around here that these forums are great and I really like them. It has a tight nit community of people that I really like the feel of. But it’s also hard to break into it and I surly haven’t done well. I think there’s a bit too much politically incorrectness that goes on in some areas like the clubhouse and it’s done by a lot of the old school group of guys. I’ve had a feeling that if you respond then they group up on you a bit. But, I recently talked with a few of the guys and I think we got our differences out and worked it out behind the scenes. But even with that, the clubhouse is full of a lot of great stuff. Take it from a new guy, these forums are pretty damn good and the people are pretty damn good enthusiastic bunch of people.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited October 2007
    Ya know, I really don't have any interest in kicking Doro's dog, but..do you have a cat?
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    A group cow-racing session on Wii would make everyone feel better...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Roy Munson wrote: »
    Ya know, I really don't have any interest in kicking Doro's dog, but..do you have a cat?

Absolutely, but he's hard to aim at.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    I would suggest sending it to Justin. I doubt you're the first or only person who has had this happen and he seems to be pretty open and fair minded.

KAB: Are you talking KA7 and ABX as the two? They're the same person. If not, who else got dumped....?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Kab, just for your info, I actually got harassed about my post in here via PM, I forwarded them to you, I hope you deal with the guy. I didn’t ask to be called a "f-head" for that post. Does Polk take action on PM harassment? Who is the main forums moderator that I could send them to?
    That's a real easy fix. Put the person in question on ignore, and you won't EVER have to worry about another PM again coming from that person. No need to involve others when the fix is in your hands.

Problem solved.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    T3: Is that a new feature? I still get PM's every blue moon from someone on my ignore list. I just typically delete them as they are garbage but it would be nice to never see them at all. Of course, how would I ever know if it works? ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    T3: Is that a new feature? I still get PM's every blue moon from someone on my ignore list. I just typically delete them as they are garbage but it would be nice to never see them at all. Of course, how would I ever know if it works? ;)
    Oh. That's news to me. Sorry 'bout that. I thought I read during the ranting of ABX/K7 that if you put someone on ignore that you would not receive PM's. Oh well. PM'n Justin it is.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kab
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Kab, just for your info, I actually got harassed about my post in here via PM...

I read your PMs as those of the other person. I can't say why he reacted to your post the way he did. At least he took it private. Though I believe he went overboard and said things that he shouldn't have, a lot of long-time members take criticism of the forum as an affront, especially from a new member. For what it's worth, I've met and spent time with this person and, in my experience, he's a good guy.

I would be pleased if the two of you make peace, as I believe you both have positive contributions to add to the Forum. Failing that. you could take it up with the moderator.
    Does Polk take action on PM harassment?

Frankly, this is the first time I've been asked. I don't condone harassement anywhere.
    Who is the main forums moderator that I could send them to?
    Justin is the moderator, judge and jury.
  • kab
    edited November 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    KAB: Are you talking KA7 and ABX as the two? They're the same person. If not, who else got dumped....?

Sorry but it wouldn't be right for me to say.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    This is a great post...

And it should not be ruined...

this is PM material - not public....

We are sorry your feelings have been hurt... but its not for here
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    I know I haven't been on the site much, but I must miss alot. I have rarely seen anything on here that is mean or offensive. I have been helped by other members from day one with subjects as poor as "wires". Good post though.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    A kinder gentler forum!

or
    "a kinder gentler machine gun hand"

...........................Neil Young.........................
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2007
    Well put.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Well stated Al.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°