gas

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I thought it was funny the other day here in a thread to brag how high our prices are for gas here right now at a whopping $330 for Chevron super. I just walked down there again today from work to pick up a Rockstar and Super is listed at $3.48!!!!!!! Holy hamster hell!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited October 2007
    Regular is about $2.75 and diesel $3.05 in Oklahoma. Stinks. But it does help drive our
    local economy here.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited October 2007
    Regular is $3.05 here..

Prices are going up just in time for the winter (seems to be the trend for the past few years) as another lame excuse is spewed out from the oil folks overseas....outright pathetic
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2007
    It's $3.15 for regular unleaded at the "cheap gas" station where I live. Here in San Francisco, $3.50 for regular unleaded would be considered a bargain.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    I hate it when Diesel is more expensive than Unleaded. Just ain't right.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    Yep gas jumped .25 per gallon here in less than a week. One of the culprits, according to the news is that Mexico temporarily shut down 5% of it's output . . . WTF??? Is the market that fragile that the "specuators" need to get the price of a barrel up over $90? Very fishy if you ask me.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    $2.55 for regular just across the border in SC. :D:p:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Problem is -- seems few people really know why gas prices have shot through the roof in the past couple of years. I'm perplexed by it all because the supply of gas hasn't appeared to decrease, and demand can't account for the tripling in prices at the pump. Yeah, we can blame it on Bush, the war, global warming, baby seals...whatever.

I'd like to read some hard cold facts from a trusted source to tell me what's really going on.

Got any links?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2007
    early,
    I agree man. I can't remember where I read it and I'm not totally sure it was from a reliable source. But, the gist was that there was an independent research agency that basically concluded that the only reason gas prices increased was because the companies assumed there would be an oil shortage with the war. when there in fact was no shortage they kept prices the way they were. Why? Because people would still buy it! It also wnt into a little detail about why they have stayed that way - IIRC it had something to do with the fact that there was only loose regulation on price gouging such as this................My idea - open up a "mom and pop" station around an Exxon, Chevron, etc. and sell it for 5 cents a gallon cheaper. You know how many people would line up for that????

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    It is a fact that the oil companies (note: not the guys selling the gas on your corner) are having record breaking years (I think Exxon was at 10 billion if I remember right in profit). They're have been many random events that have raised the price here and there but those should be short term problems and the prices should fall but they don’t. People don’t like to blame the oil companies but its hard to when they have block buster profits. Last Net cap statistics I saw showed that of the 10 top companies in America (net cap) I think 5 of 10 were oil companies. That was in an article noting that Google just busted into it with over 200 billion.

This is not a bad thing note, but the fact is that we are in a war and require a LOT of gas for it. There’s no doubt that our government (rep or demo) probably back off the oil companies on pricing to ensure that we get a nice steady supply of oil to our troops at all times. It is an absolute requirement for war to have a nice big funnel of gas supply line. It can be thought of one way that we have to pay for the war as the people who are the ones in it. We use a lot of it over there and we as citizens supplement to price to our military to get it to them cheaply.

This is of course probably one of a thousand reasons that effects oil price.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    I think too many look for some clean answer where there isn't one. What do you want to hear? THere's a group of nations and comnpanies in charge of the price of oil, and the United States is barely even involved. When the group that decides these things decides that they want ot charge more, there's very little we can do. We fluff our feathers and blame our government or blame terrorists or blame this and that, thinking it's going to do something; it's not. I'll save you the suspense, there's NOTHING you can do aside from not using gas. Barring the US taking over the entire Middle East, we have zero control.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it just rose 50 cents from where I am...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    It just rose 20 cents here - to 3.29/gal.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2007
    It's nice to have a car that averages 35 mpg.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • chillywilly
    chillywilly Posts: 167
    edited October 2007
    It's 91.9 cents a liter here about 3.67 a gallon
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited October 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    My idea - open up a "mom and pop" station around an Exxon, Chevron, etc. and sell it for 5 cents a gallon cheaper. You know how many people would line up for that????

Shawn

If it were only that easy. I worked at a gas station about 10 years ago and the mark up wasn't much. It really depends on the supplier. We were sometimes buying it for more then the cheapo station across the street was selling it for!!!
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    Bend over, big oil is getting ready to stick it up your arse again!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2007
    It's 91.9 cents a liter here about 3.67 a gallon

100.1 here per Ltr.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I think too many look for some clean answer where there isn't one. What do you want to hear? THere's a group of nations and comnpanies in charge of the price of oil, and the United States is barely even involved. When the group that decides these things decides that they want ot charge more, there's very little we can do. We fluff our feathers and blame our government or blame terrorists or blame this and that, thinking it's going to do something; it's not. I'll save you the suspense, there's NOTHING you can do aside from not using gas. Barring the US taking over the entire Middle East, we have zero control.

Come on Bobman, what are you talking about: It's all Bush's fault! Afterall, he's a former oil man, you do the math! ;)

:D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • daesdaemar
    daesdaemar Posts: 34
    edited October 2007
    3.16 for premium way down south in Florida...