Matrix Audio ReDux

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited October 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I recently found a pair of speakers that look cool, but that is where the buck stops. They are made by a company called "Matrix Audio Concepts" which is no doubt a load of overseas junk. However, I think it would be a fun project, and might turn out ok, if I were to strip the drivers, x-overs, etc; brace and adjust the cabs, them rebuild them with quality components. What do you think?
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2007
    But those are $2200 speakers. lol
  • zingo
    edited October 2007
    I know, I know... why mess with success.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited October 2007
    Thats one expensive DIY project
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    edited October 2007
    ......they are scam speakers with junk components....however they do look good.....only worth playing with if cabinets are real wood veneer....which I doubt.

http://www.****.co.uk/node/58760?from=0&comments_per_page=20
  • zingo
    edited October 2007
    Ya, that is the only risk. I haven't gotten my hands on a pair, but I would check them out first to see if the cabs were even worth it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited October 2007
    Probably not worth it. I can't imagine the cab's are any good at all, even if you worked out some kind of internal bracing. If you try it, keep us posted.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    You'd do better to start from scratch.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Only DIY i can see with those is a DIY Bonfire

Coat them in gasoline, wd40, and that gel stuff used to light woodburning stoves and you have yourself one hell of a bonfire. Good luck.