Bartles and Jaymes wine coolers

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
remember the 80's and wine coolers? ;)

whatever happen to Bartles and Jaymes wine coolers?

this is what Wiki says about it.

Flavors include Strawberry Daiquiri, Fuzzy Navel, Exotic Berry, Margarita, Pina Colada, Classic Original, Melon Splash, Blackberry, Raspberry Daiquiri, Strawberry Cosmopolitan, Blue Hawaiian, Orange Sunset, Apple Passion, and Red.

The product line is well remembered for its folksy television commercials which ran from 1985 to 1991. Two elderly gentlemen characters, Frank Bartles and Ed Jaymes (played by David Joseph Rufkahr and Dick Maugg, respectively), sat on a front porch and related their new discoveries or projects on which they were working. They were patterned after two men who started a little winery which eventually became the Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery. Bartles did all the talking, and ended each commercial with the tagline, "... and thank you for your support.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez bought them all.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2007
    I so remember these, thanks for the flash back.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    People figured out that they sucked.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    I remember the folks that drank those back in the day, chicks and a dude who turned out to be ****.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I remember the folks that drank those back in the day, chicks and a dude who turned out to be ****.

and what's your excuse.. neither **** nor a chick, unless you got that sex change you were saving for. :p;):D
  • TroyD
    edited October 2007
    Back when I was a financially challenged college student the local Red and White was selling B&J wine coolers for 3.50 a case. I bought three cases (remember, this is 1991 and I was BROKE). I have NEVER been so sick in my entire life.

BDT
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited October 2007
    Before them (in my era), there was Boones Farm. Kountry Kwencher. Tickle Pink. Basically Kool-aid plus alcohol...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Sigh, no one got my joke....guess it's a boston/new york thing
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Before them (in my era), there was Boones Farm. Kountry Kwencher. Tickle Pink. Basically Kool-aid plus alcohol...

And all good for an all nite pukefest. Don't forget this gem
    http://www.bumwine.com/md2020.html
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    Definitely throwback. Though I do remember buying them, I think wine coolers still exist today though Im not sure if its B&J. You wanna talk about sick, drink the Mad Dog 20/20, oh man that stuff had me praying to the porcelain GOD on plenty occasions.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    "And thank you for your support"
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    A division of E & J Gallo Winery (Ernest & Julio)....and still around.

http://www.technologymarketing.com/bw/news/foodbev/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003566020
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    they're going to have a hard time selling B&J wine coolers again.. who wants to drink a 15 yr old beverage? they would have to market it along with the likes of Red Bull or some other energy drink to make people want to buy it again.
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    they're going to have a hard time selling B&J wine coolers again.. who wants to drink a 15 yr old beverage?

As I understand, they have never stopped selling "coolers". Because of some sort of tax issue most of the makers started to use malt instead of wine and took wine out of the name. I read somewhere that B&J still sells 8,000,000 cases a year but sales have been flat for some time and that they are trying to increase sales with a new two year ad campaign.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    B&J are not to be found anywhere around here in the Northwest... wine coolers in general have dwindled to nearly nada it seems..
  • TroyD
    edited October 2007

Oh, I got it for sure.

Careful though....a strong possibility is that A-rod will be playing short for Boston next year.

BDT
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007

I got it. And I agree.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2007
    http://www.bumwine.com/cisco.html

Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine. The label insists that the ingredients are merely "citrus wine & grape wine with artificial flavor & artificial color," but anyone who has tried it knows better. Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common. Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants. Nudity and violence may well be involved too.

Sound like Doro's kind of hooch.

ciscoflavorske9.jpg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    I drink that stuff for lunch, at work.....never had a problem. Now let me get back to finding this platypus.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited October 2007
    Ripple

Threw up in technicolor.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited October 2007
    mdspread.jpg

The horror.............
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    you guys are making me thristy now.. :rolleyes:;):p
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    The fact for me was that B&J was popular about the time I was in highschool and it was the drink of choice for us all lol. Didnt aquire a taste for beer until college and my "after 21" days.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    The fact for me was that B&J was popular about the time I was in highschool and it was the drink of choice for us all lol. Didnt aquire a taste for beer until college and my "after 21" days.

+1 on this, I loved those wine coolers, then came the Mad Dog, along with the 40s. My favorite was this one shown in the pic
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    +1 on this, I loved those wine coolers, then came the Mad Dog, along with the 40s. My favorite was this one shown in the pic

:eek:

I remember that stuff! I drank it a couple of times, 'til I saw what looked like an oyster floating in the one I had in my hand. Needless to say, it wasn't an oyster.....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Boones Farm is still getting ugly guys laid on the cheap. Especially if you buy 6:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    My beverage of choice in High School:

sothco.jpg

College:

Keg1.jpg