Flexy rack

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Inspired primarily by Ron (and picking up a few more ideas elsewhere), I created a Flexy rack for my equipment. It's pretty much your typical Flexy rack using 3/4" MDF shelves, 5/8" threaded rods, and the nut/washer/neopreme washer sandwich on either side of each shelf. The only major difference with this rack is the marble finish that I created using a marblizing kit and then coating it with urethane. I was originally planning to make only four shelves, but after I put it together today I decided that I wanted another shelf (hence the big gap at the top). The top shelf will mount flush with those acorn nuts at the top of each rod once I get around to making it (and who knows when that will be). At any rate, take a look! I'm pretty proud of it!

Aaron

flexy.jpg

close_up.jpg
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Good Job!!! You should be proud. Your components will have
    a nice sturdy home.
    Dan
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hi Arron:

Real good job.

Gary:p
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Great work Aaron.
    It looks really good.
    The shelves came out especially nice.

Are there plans for making one or do you just go at it? I was going to get one of the wall mounted racks but I like what you and Ron have made better. Any info would be appreciated.

Chris
    Chris :)
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    There are plans on the internet, but I don't have the addresses off hand. I got some good information by doing a search on the Home Theater forum for "flexy." If you'd like, I can give you detailed instructions on how to do it.

One option I'd like to pursue in the future is getting some spikes for the feet. Audio Advisor sells spikes that should thread on perfectly, but at $40, I think I'll wait a bit.

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Thanks Aaron. I did the search on H/T along with another search. It gave me the the info I needed.

Chris
    Chris :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Great job. I've been thinking about building a rack like this. Now I have some inspiration. If I could only buy some time.
    What would you approximate your costs to be?
    Do you think using six rods to make a shorter & wider version (two stacks of 3 shelves) would be able to support a typical 36in. TV?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Sure, you can make one to support a TV. It's been done, very impressivlely in some casses. Do a search on the Home Theater forum for "flexy" to see what others have done. To help support the TV you may want to consider using thicker MDF for the top shelf (if it's available) or gluing two shelves together for added thickness. You also may want to consider 3/4" threaded rods instead of 5/8", though this will increase your cost considerably on the nuts and washers.

Regarding the cost, mine ballooned to close to $120 by the end of the project (about twice as much as I originally estimated). Much time, effort, and money could have been saved if I had ordered all my parts from McMaster. Home Depot is fairly expensive, especially for the Neopreme washers. There were also some other miscellaneous things that ran up the bill. The marble finish alone probably cost $35+, but again, I could have done it for less. I would say approximately 80% of the project time was spent on the finish. It took forever, with most of the time being spent on the many coats of urethane. Hope this helps a bit.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I'm having a slight problem with the term "ballowed". You got a rack thats screaming, or full of hot air? Which is it? Between THIS, and the 11 minute time warp between South Jersey and Baltimore, I'm all messed up. I get jet lag when I post because of that 11 minute thingy.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2001
    Options
    the rack looks great, however the operation of the AC window unit may interfere with the performance of your system...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Obviously you weren't paying attention; otherwise you would have known that the AC unit is part of my research in speaker cooling to improve sound.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    HA! You edited that post. You initially "ballowed" and you know it. There goes the Energizer Bunny again. Just keeps going, and going....

I think I'm gonna install an air conditioner too. Just so WE can appear to be as stupid as somebody thinks we are.

And I laughed louder than Russ!

• George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Aaron,
    I'm gonna want a full report on your cooling research. I'm thinking, if the AC doesn't do it, I'm going to remove all the Acousti-Fill from the inside of my RTA11 cabinets, and replace it with dry ice. Get a natural fog machine thing going also.

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2001
    Options
    If Aaron's testing proves proves positive, I am thinking that George will have to install a commercial unit to cool the he-man rig.
    Personally, I would think that the window unit would provide less sonic interference than a couple of window fans blowing, flyswatter's in action and a lot of complaining about B.O.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I would say Nice rack, but it might be taken the wrong way...especially by me.
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Then what good is the Heater at the base of the wall?
    What is he doing with that? Kinda defeats the purpose of teh AC Unit...
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    In my experience, chattering teeth severly degrades sonic quality.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Hot air rises, cool air falls.

Hot air rising from the floor, cool air falling from above. I see circulation occuring here. Similar attributes can be found in a thunderstorm, which produces enormous amount of energy.

Hey may yet be on to something here, something greater than we can fathom.

Cheers,
    Russ

yeah, I know, Im reachin, stay with me.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    1. Somebody needs to pound a wooden stake into that boys heart.

2. Nobody should take it out.

• TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ......is that a mirror behind the rack? If so, why isn't Aaron's reflection in it? Is he a vampire??

Troy

OK, well, I figure if Russ is reaching what the heck, a little solidarity, you know.
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    You're a freaking idiot! Your cultural comprehension is horrendous, as is your grammar and spelling. It's amusing to me how you have no idea what's going on in a thread, but yet you keep posting away. Even more humorous than that is you think you're actually providing us with information that we don't already know. Perhaps in your next post you'd like to tell me how to operate my system.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Aaron, I love you man.

George Grand (of the Laughing Jersey Grand's)

Troy, the stake was not for Aaron. But my boy Aaron wields a mean stake and mallet. I'm so proud.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2001
    Options
    The colder the substance (air) the tighter the molecules.
    The tighter the molecules, the higher the density.
    The higher the density, the faster the wave travels.
    The faster the wave travels, the less the distortion encounterred.
    The less the distortion encounterred, the happier the Gidrah.

It might hard to test, but the principal is sound.

The next step in Audiophilia!

I still say nice rack. I usually only say that on THOSE sites.

May I never type the word "the" again.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Oh, I got it. I knew who the stake was for. I was just making a silly, albeit, unrelated comment. Actually, I didn't even read your post before I submitted mine....

Aaron is the man.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Ruthless. You guys are ruthless. And unstoppable.

I'm cringing.

We all need to keep a sense of humor here.

[cringe] [cringe]

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    ......is that a mirror behind the rack? If so, why isn't Aaron's reflection in it? Is he a vampire??
    I tried very hard NOT to be in the picture and at the same time not put too much of an angle on the shot. I guess I succeeded. I'm going to go sharpen my teeth now.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Alright, I put this off all day, but I just have to reply.
    Cheap shot
    If I was going for cheat shots, I would break out the racial comments. I didn't, however, since I don't think they're very appropriate. Since you don't seem to take hints (another example of your cultural unawareness), I must be rather blunt. Hopefully you're getting the picture now.
    ... with that personal attack, you've just made people laugh, I have nothing to say to u, go ahead...
    Hopefully I have made people laugh....at you!
    keep holding hand and kiss each other a*s to see if I care...
    More great literary work! Bravo! We're not kissing each others' asses; we're friends. Is that a foreign concept to you as well? Friends often share the same opinion, and in this case it's about you.
    I hope everyone read this thread to see what kinda of person u r... and George...
    What kind of person do you think I am? You've probably misinterpreted that as well. It's rare that I'll verbally abuse anyone on the forum, but some people like yourself just don't take a hint.
    am glad u mentioned the energizer bunny, becuz it represented u well... reviewed all ur previous posts (subject that not related to audio or video), am just wonder who is whining after all...
    Dude, what are you talking about? I can only translate so well.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    'With all the money in the world, there is no need for option.'

Are we clear fellas?

R
  • Aaron
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Ruthless. You guys are ruthless. And unstoppable. I'm cringing. We all need to keep a sense of humor here. [cringe] [cringe]
    Micah, if I ever meet you in person, I promise I won't pound a stake into your chest. In fact, I might even be happy to see you, especially if you have some LSi's down your pants for me. ;)

Aaron