or
2 polk 10" momo?
also what amp do you recommend for the 15 or the 10's
Post edited by Igpx23 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2007
    2 10's will allow u to listen to a wider range of music. the 15 will hit just slightly lower, but the 10s will sound cleaner the majority of the time. Go with the 10s, but what kinda car are u driving
    Alpine PDX-1.600

MTX Thunder Elite 601D(i have 2 10" momos myself and i love the setup, all my friends grab people and tell them to sit in my car, u will be very happy)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Igpx23
    Igpx23 Posts: 5
    edited October 2007
    i drive 04 civic ex.
    DB'S OR MOMO.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    I vote for the two 10s as well. Any amp that puts out 600 watts rms @ 2ohms (or close to it like the c500.1) would work if you get the SVC subs. just remember that you get what you pay for (ie. don't go for the cheapest thing you find).
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2007
    MOMO!
    go with that MTX amp, u will be very happy.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Igpx23
    Igpx23 Posts: 5
    edited October 2007
    ok MOMO 10's it is.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    A pair of 10's will have more cone area and therefore displace more air and have more output. Id go with the 10's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    some key information is missing here, like what you intend to do with your setup, and what kind of music you prefer listening to.

TBH, I find it amazing ppl give solutions, when the whole picture is not know, as above.

for example, if you wanted to compete in SPL, the 15" would prob be better in a specific box mae for SPL, if you want everyday nice, clean sound, then 2 x 10"'s would be the obvious choice (sealed box would prob give a better overall response in that example).
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2007
    najahaja wrote: »
    some key information is missing here, like what you intend to do with your setup, and what kind of music you prefer listening to.

TBH, I find it amazing ppl give solutions, when the whole picture is not know, as above.

for example, if you wanted to compete in SPL, the 15" would prob be better in a specific box mae for SPL, if you want everyday nice, clean sound, then 2 x 10"'s would be the obvious choice (sealed box would prob give a better overall response in that example).

Not too many people who intend to compete in SPL would come to the polk forums and ask weather 2 10s is better than 1 15 polk momo....
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • najahaja
    edited October 2007
    well, its dangerous to assume not? Rather ask too many questions than too little IMHO.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    i suppose you're right. But i kind of agree with eloplayspolo. If someone thinks polk is spl, perhaps they need to perform more research.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    I find it amazing when people give solutions when they dont know what theyre talking about.

Be it SQ or SPL, a pair of 10's will always outperform a single 15 assuming theyre the same model sub.

For SQ, a pair of 10's would still plenty tight and musical. A 15 will have better low end extension but will not be as tight in the upper end.

For SPL, the more power you have the more air you can move and the more output you will have. So once again, a pair of 10's win out over a single 15.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    One 15" MOMO has more cone area than two 10" Momo's plus it has a longer excursion so in this case I would have to believe the math and say the 15" is a better choice provided you have the space. I know you can get big sound out of small speakers but they have to work harder. Everything else being even go with the larger speaker. One other thing to take into consideration is that you can put more power to the two 10's than you can to the one 15 but overall I would still take the 15" subwoofer.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    A quick check of the specs and youre right. A single Momo 15 would have 10 square inches more area as opposed to a single Momo 10 but not my much. And the 10's only have 2 mm less excursion than the 15 in mechanical Xmax and only .5 mm less in linear.

Still, as you mentioned, by using a pair of speakers, you can use more power thus the 10's would still have more output and sound better.

Granted this is extreme comparisons. I doubt you could hear the difference between them.

• najahaja
    edited October 2007
    What you guys are saying IS 100% correct.

however, all I was getting at is that if people on this forum want REAL solutions, they should give as much info as possible. All the factors they give, like what sound they are looking for, what they intend to do with the system, what they expect from it and a host of other factors, will help in giving better advice and in the long run, make said person happier with the decision they make.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2007
    ... my are people poo-pooing on Mac? I've spent years honing him into as close of a clone of myself as possible, without making him enough like me to get him hated by society.

... and off that polk model chick's myspace page - the song goes, "You smell like sex... I wanna **** you like I'm never gonna see you again." -- and no I didn't make that up.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    Its ok Vinny. Genius like ours is often misunderstood. Just ask John. (I wouldve included you in that Cody, but c'mon, you go to A & M) :p

• PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2007
    I think House said Texas A&M stood for Aardvark and Manatee school or something... I'm tripping.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    I dont go to a&m anymore, i go to SHSU
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bizza
    bizza Posts: 21
    edited October 2007
    Its cheaper to buy 1 15", its cheaper to build a box for 1 15", they play louder, lower, and are much coooler.... so if you can fit one, just do it!!
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2007
    2 10s will fill your accord with more balanced bass, ignore the last post.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I dont go to a&m anymore, i go to SHSU
    -Cody

I cant believe you flunked out of A&M.

:p

• Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited October 2007

Ignore this post, it makes no sense.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2007
    I assume by 'balanced bass' that he means the following...

"Having both the 'tight' / 'punchy' response characteristic of most 10 inch drivers, and (by having two 10 inch drivers) also the volume level / 'loudness' you would expect from a 15... hence balance".

If that's the case, then his post makes perfect sense, and you're a f****** ****.

Regards,
    PoweredByDodge [Back with a Vengeance]
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited October 2007
    The old myth that a 10" driver is "faster" than a 15" of the same model has been beaten to death & Dan Wiggins even writes how that is not the case. I cant seem to find the article right now but I will keep looking.
  • bizza
    edited October 2007

You and everyone who insists that smaller subs are "faster and more accurate" are retards. As said by the poster about, that myth has been beaten to death.

Basically, rule of thumb for subs should be, once you are set on the model:

Get as big a sub as you can fit, depending on the $$ you want to spend and the space you want to give up.... ultimately, if it is too loud, you can always turn it down....
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2007
    I never said a 10 was 'faster' than a 15. Rather, it is a simple matter of physics... the amount of effective suspension for an 8 or a 10, relative to the mass and surface area of the cone, is far greater on a smaller sub than a larger sub.

The result is greater mechanical damping... which yields (typically - all things being equal) a more accurate reproduction of the original musical track.

Now, all things can be "un-equal" in the case of a 15 or 18 inch driver that is purpose built to be an SQL unit. An excellently designed (for the sake of argument) 30 inch driver can sound better than a poorly designed 8" driver.

However, in reality, many speaker manufacturers simply use the same suspension and motor design for an 8" as they do for a 15" ... they simply scale the model, which doesn't really "work".

In the case of a premium driver (an SR, an IDmax, a W7 [eww], or a Brahma), exhaustive efforts have been put in to ensure that each size driver performs the way it ought to, as an SQL monster.

However, when you're dealing with the "$99 dollar special" 15 inch units, forget about it.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    UGH! STOP IT!

A 15 inch cone has more mass than a 10 inch cone. Therefore, it requires more POWER to move it. If you took a 10 and a 15 and powered them equally, the 10, having the lighter cone can play more accurately and louder on that given power. The 15 will have a larger motor structure and bigger magnet and handle more power but the 10 doesn't need as much power to achieve desired results.

Because the 15 is that much larger, it moves more air, by virtue of excessive amounts of displacement. Because of that, the 15 will play louder. Unless of course the cone mass is that far out of whack that the things Vinny was talking about in the previous post get all caddywhumpus and then it sounds like an elephant farting through a used gym sock.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    Oh and what's this balanced bass BS? I can see that being true in a large home theater environment but c'mon. A car doesn't have more than a couple hundred cubic feet of air space to pressurize. A 10 inch sub with 200 watts of power overpowers the space completely. There's no "balance" if the sub operates in an environment the same way a sledgehammer operates on your head.

Low frequency is not nearly as localized as the rest of the spectrum and while stereo subs may give you better imaging at home, they only really serve to increase output in your car.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bizza
    edited October 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    UGH! STOP IT!

A 15 inch cone has more mass than a 10 inch cone. Therefore, it requires more POWER to move it. If you took a 10 and a 15 and powered them equally, the 10, having the lighter cone can play more accurately and louder on that given power. The 15 will have a larger motor structure and bigger magnet and handle more power but the 10 doesn't need as much power to achieve desired results.

Because the 15 is that much larger, it moves more air, by virtue of excessive amounts of displacement. Because of that, the 15 will play louder. Unless of course the cone mass is that far out of whack that the things Vinny was talking about in the previous post get all caddywhumpus and then it sounds like an elephant farting through a used gym sock.

You and your 4000+ posts and still make childishly absurd arguments as this? I have better things to do than discuss this topic that has been discussed many many times already, always with the same conclusion... For one, check the sensitivity on the 10" momo and the 15", then come back with your findings...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited October 2007
    'senstivity' -- as in 'response' ... as in 'efficiency' ? Irrelevant to this conversation.