Fires in San Diego

bikezappa
bikezappa Posts: 2,463
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
They have closed the Pacific Coast Highway.

I have relatives that have evacuted their home one hour ago.
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    Good luck to all the folks out there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2007
    I lived there for 5 years. I can still remember the wind, smoke and fire on the horizon. Scared the **** out of me. Nothing like that ever happens in New England. After I moved back to NH the house I rented burnt to the ground.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    I had to work out in SD about 5 years ago when it was on massive fire again. I was driving from Phoenix to SD and got stopped on the 8 freeway while the fires were attempted to be controlled. When they finally opened up the roads, it was as if driving through what you would imagine hell would be like. Total blackout, mini fires everywhere, scorched earth for miles on end, very few people on the roads, raining ash for days.........

Good luck to all the people out there........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2007
    This feels like a perfect storm for firefighters, there are so many fronts and growing. Wind gusting 40-50 mph right now. October 2003 the last time it happened as bad as this. Wind is not supposed to die down until tomorrow afternoon PST. Day 2 of the forecasted 3 days of Santa Ana.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2007
    It's like living in the first level of hell right now. High winds, fires in Irvine, San Deigo and Malibu, the air is hot and filled with ash and the sky is an orange'ish brown. Being that I am on the coast I'm not even getting the worst of it.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    I lived in Valencia for a couple of years....the copter just panned the camera and my place was about 300 yards from the flames at this moment....scary.
    Luckily it looks like the super strong gusts are working in favor of those homes.....hope they dodge this bullet.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited October 2007
    My two daughters and my brother have all had to evacuate today. And they don't all live that close together. I think all of S. Cal is on fire.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    My prayers go out to those that are affected.

I have seen a wild San Diego.....well, really an El Cahone wildfire that was about a mile or so away from my dad's house I was staying in. Told me dad...."hey! look, there's the fire that we have seen on the news!". His response..."Oh, great".

It never came toward the house but I do remember asking him for the binoculars and when I looked through them I saw flames over many hillsides. When I focus in on the landscape, I saw a deer running for it's life. The size of the deer was approx. 1 mm. tall, whilst the flames behind the deer were about 27-30 mm. tall.

That's when I knew it was no joke.

Again, my prayers go out to those who are affected.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2007
    Situation is getting worse by the hour, around here. I am curious, what does it takes to issue a sort of "Broken Arrow" call to all firefighters in the nation? Cal Firefighters resources are stretch beyond limit, and I feel for those homeowners in San Diego county, and Running Springs.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2007
    mee sis said fire is like 5 miles from her house. but thus far, no idea which way the fire will spread. i also won some diplexers off ebay from a guy who lives in california. last night he refunded my money and explained how he lost his house in the fire.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited October 2007
    I was there the last time the city burned down, I was there on Friday but got out just before all this started. I hope all the people in the city are safe, not a fun place to be at a time like that.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    My Uncle's family (excluding my cous he's a marine) just was told to leave... God bless them in the south...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited October 2007
    This is getting scary and way beyond sad.
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited October 2007
    Poor reporter having to comment and watch his house go up in flame. That bites.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited October 2007
    from what I saw on the news this morning, Camp Pendleton is starting to go now....I was watching the UXO go off on CNN this morning.....THAT could be a real bad situation....