Stopping AutoPlay........

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have a 500 GB external drive that I use on occasion and I want to make it stop the automatic scanning of the files when it's connected/turned on. Is that doable for this one drive, but to still leave autoplay on for something like a USB drive?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    The software that controls this should have a setting somewhere.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    I know for CD / DVD drives, you go into My Computer, right click on the drive, click properties, and then there's an "AutoPlay" tab where you can disable. Not sure if the same tab exists for external hard drives.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I know for CD / DVD drives, you go into My Computer, right click on the drive, click properties, and then there's an "AutoPlay" tab where you can disable. Not sure if the same tab exists for external hard drives.

I would think this would work, and if not you should be able to stop it in the Device Manager.

If it is a WD I could try it when I get home and see if I can turn off the autoplay, then detail the steps here.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited October 2007
    plug in the drive and let it do the autoscan the files. now when its done and the windows pop up asking what you want to do, click the option "do nothing" and then make sure you check the box at the bottom of the window that says "do this everytime"
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    I have selected that box, but when the drive is turned on, it still goes through the indexing and does that for several minutes........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.