Organ Speaker - WTF?

rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I saw this on e-bay and was confused. Why would someone want to give their woofers a whirl?
Post edited by rskarvan on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited October 2007
    I've seen that done on some of those old organ cabinets. Kind of a wild twist, huh?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    major reverb effect ?!!

that`s weird
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    I don't think that's a Leslie speaker. I thought those were twirling horns for the Hammond B-3 or Farfisa organs.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    It could be similar to the Leslie speaker perhaps for a different application. The Leslie speaker's most famous application is when Jimmy Page used it to record Whole Lotta Love. The spaced out part of the song was recorded using a Leslie speaker in the studio.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    Most likely a cabinet from the Allen organ company. Leslie had patents for the rotating horn that Allen didn't want to pay for, thus this was their work around.

Hammond and Rodgers did use the Leslie design for years.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited October 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It could be similar to the Leslie speaker perhaps for a different application. The Leslie speaker's most famous application is when Jimmy Page used it to record Whole Lotta Love. The spaced out part of the song was recorded using a Leslie speaker in the studio.

also on darkside of the moon, on the cut 'any colour you like', gilmour's guitar is fed thru a leslie. of course, you can hear the leslie anytime a b3 is featured.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited October 2007
    Cool beastie boys leslie footage here starting at around 2:00 mark- you really hear the effect around 2:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UXqjYzrOI
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited October 2007
    Listen to the song "Rosemary" on the Grateful Dead's aoxomoxoa and you'll hear Garcia's vocals through a Leslie.
  • PeteTy
    PeteTy Posts: 13
    edited February 2008
    It looks like a far better design than a leslie.

the entire box acts as a baffle for all the speakers

leslie has basicly an unbaffled rotating speaker.

unbaffled speakers are usless for any sort of low notes.

The other decent design is a rotating horn over a mounted infinate baffle speaker.

the physical acustic doppler effect is unlike anything electronics can do.

still you dont get the resonant column of the air in a real organ pipe where you have acoustic nodal resonance all through the room
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited February 2008
    unbaffled speakers are usless for any sort of low notes.
    Not necessarily. Depends on the size of the baffle and the Qts of the driver.
  • PeteTy
    edited February 2008
    unbaffled speaker(driver) is what is known as free air resonance the most efficient( mass / spring ) point of the driver chances are if it were in a vacuum it would be the same.

it will move some air but very little at this point. the baffle adds mass of the air to the system which lowers the frequency.

If you look at wavelength and make a baffle 1' in diameter (washer) you will find the sound can go the two feet from front to back in 2milliSec this makes 500hz the lowest you can go with a 1' baffle .

a 2' diameter washer gives you 4' of travel 125hz

the speaker cabinet in the picture is perhaps close to a 3'diameter washer or about 60hz

leslie has a 6" speaker and a steel weight on either end of a yardstick with a pivot in the middle (2yardsticks actually)

if you throw away the steel yardsticks and substitute a sonotube or schedule10 pvc... keep the counterweight you can make the leslie work to perhaps 60 hz .

i did this to my hammond/leslie friends who tried it had to have it done to theirs. the handy ones do it themselves, the notso handy ones you can pick up a quick $50

the speaker cabinet above could be improved by making it deeper or enclosing the back and adding foam... making the baffle larger more fron to back travel time.

ever wonder why tweeters are solid rather than a spider?

ever wonder why a vhf antenna is about 6' and a uhf 6" ?

wavelength is the top secret, highly technical, rocket science, answer
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    PeteTy wrote: »
    unbaffled speaker(driver) is what is known as free air resonance the most efficient( mass / spring ) point of the driver chances are if it were in a vacuum it would be the same.

it will move some air but very little at this point. the baffle adds mass of the air to the system which lowers the frequency.

If you look at wavelength and make a baffle 1' in diameter (washer) you will find the sound can go the two feet from front to back in 2milliSec this makes 500hz the lowest you can go with a 1' baffle .

a 2' diameter washer gives you 4' of travel 125hz

the speaker cabinet in the picture is perhaps close to a 3'diameter washer or about 60hz

leslie has a 6" speaker and a steel weight on either end of a yardstick with a pivot in the middle (2yardsticks actually)

if you throw away the steel yardsticks and substitute a sonotube or schedule10 pvc... keep the counterweight you can make the leslie work to perhaps 60 hz .

i did this to my hammond/leslie friends who tried it had to have it done to theirs. the handy ones do it themselves, the notso handy ones you can pick up a quick $50

the speaker cabinet above could be improved by making it deeper or enclosing the back and adding foam... making the baffle larger more fron to back travel time.

ever wonder why tweeters are solid rather than a spider?

ever wonder why a vhf antenna is about 6' and a uhf 6" ?

wavelength is the top secret, highly technical, rocket science, answer

Yeah. What PeteTY said.

:)

Welcome, PeteTY. Keep posting.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • PeteTy
    edited February 2008
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Depends on the size of the baffle and the Qts of the driver.

how can the size of the baffle effect the unbaffled speaker????

I must have used the wrong word... nevermind