Can someone screw you via Paypal?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have listed my Music Hall on Audiogon, and I get a response within a couple hours of it being listed.

He's willing to pay through paypal. With someone paying through Paypal, can they still screw you? If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    They can reverse the charges.........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    I havent heard of anyone getting ripped off using them, as long as the credit from them shows up in your account when you log on you should be good to go. That is as long as they arent from Nigeria , and say they are buying the unit for their client ;)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    They can reverse the charges.........

100% impossible if you have a UPS tracking number and show proof of delivery.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Yes, He has to be Verified and he has to have a confirmed shipping address.

If he does not have these two items then tell him to send you a Money Order.

Make sure you ship your item with a signature receipt.

Verified is what I was trying to think of and couldnt when typing....Sal's on top of it.....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    How can I tell if he is Verified? he has a Confirmed address...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    Proof of delivery in PayPal's eyes doesn't mean anything unless the buyer has a confirmed PayPal Address.

PayPal will only guarantee that the sellers will get their money only if the buyer has a confirmed address.

You should never send the item to another address for the buyer, only to the confirmed address.

I've sold over 100+ items on ebay in the past 8 years and only once I got screwed for mailing something to a different address.

The buyer claimed that he did not recieve the item because the address I used was not his confirmed address. So paypal took the money back from my acct.

I learned my lesson quickly,

Sal

Yea, i probably should have mentioned that since I only ship to the verified address when I sell stuff on ebay. I put it specifically in the auction as well I won't ship to a non verified address.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    Yea, i probably should have mentioned that since I only ship to the verified address when I sell stuff on ebay. I put it specifically in the auction as well I won't ship to a non verified address.

Alot of folks use USPS and unless you pay extra for confirmation on delivery/tracking you are out of luck. They too, find out the hard way. Paypal tends to believe the sending/reversal of the $$$ first. The shipper has to bear the burdon of proof.

Reversals for items "not as advertised" are even harder to fight on used or vintage gear.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    Well it says he's verified and he has a confirmed address, so I should be good to go.

Great info, thanks guys...
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    I just learned alot..

Thanks for the pos
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    I Use UPS all the time when i ship things.

i havent printed any shipping labels lately through paypal but I thought they force you to spend .35 on delivery confirmation if you use USPS for shipping specifically to avoid this?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong....
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2007
    Alot of folks use USPS and unless you pay extra for confirmation on delivery/tracking you are out of luck. They too, find out the hard way. Paypal tends to believe the sending/reversal of the $$$ first. The shipper has to bear the burdon of proof.

Reversals for items "not as advertised" are even harder to fight on used or vintage gear.

hehehe...more reasons to not use PayPal and ePay...I'm shocked, I tell you!!!:D

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2007
    Wes,

I had problems with 2 auctions out of 453.

Both of the auctions I got screwed out of some money but one of them I filed a claim with paypal and I won.

So basically I got screwed once out of 453 auctions. That's pretty damn low odds.

I will keep using eBay and PayPal.

Thanks!

That's commendable, but my problems with PayPal and ePay go far beyond money.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    One time a guy won an auction from me, payed via Paypal, and then tried to get me to send it somewhere else other than the confirmed shipping address. I refused. I sent it to the confirmed shipping address, gave him the tracking number, and told him that he could contact UPS to get the package re-routed.

It protected me getting payed and the integrity of the E-bay auction. He got the package a few days late from UPS and I got positive feedback on the transaction.

PROBLEM SOLVED !
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2007
    Proof of delivery doesn't necessarily cover you 100%. Its like the people that send their tax returns through registered mail, if it gets lost the IRS doesn't care that you sent it registered. All it means is that you sent something, not necessarily your return.