I need cheap door speakers for my car... suggestions?

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well my commuter is an old (96) Pontiac grand prix. It is a great little beater, good on gas, has power, and I don't care if a shopping cart hits it. I am not going to sink any money into a real system, but want decent sound. The fronts are 5 1/4s, and I already got some 6x9 Alpines for the rear. The Alpines are nice, but really want an amp. I like smooth mids, and highs. They are more important than ghetto bass. I was looking at last years Polk's for the fronts.
I was looking at these
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=51800&c=3&tp=97
particularly
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51800&i=107DB525&c=3&tp=97
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51800&i=1085012I&c=3&tp=97

I am using a head unit for now, but may use an A/D/S PQ10 (4x30) some mega power handeling is not a priority.
PS
I like to hear what is going on around me, and quaility more than blaring tunes like I did 10 years ago:)
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• ben62670
    edited October 2007
    How about MB Quart? when I was younger I thought they were the bomb, and I can get last years 5 1/4 coaxial's for $50 new locally.

Also this guy is 20 minutes from my house. Very cheap prices on a lot of last years models.
    yes I realize that their products are not warrantied by the manufacturer.
    http://www.ikesound.com/
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    MB Quart makes very good speakers. But I dont trust unauthorized dealers.

Id go with the Polks.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    I agree I don't like unauthorized dealers either. The Polks are brand new from crutchfield and you are taling about $50.00 so the difference in sound qulaity will be very low so you might as well get the Polks, at least you know you will be getting the real deal. I had a couple of ADS PQ20's along with some ADS 320I's. They were wonderful sounding amps. The only amps I wish I had back. Get your PQ10 installed it will be worth it.
  • ben62670
    edited October 2007
    I had a couple of ADS PQ20's along with some ADS 320I's. They were wonderful sounding amps. The only amps I wish I had back. Get your PQ10 installed it will be worth it.

I have the 320i's, and 325i's still, but my car does not deserver $600 per pair speakers, and I am not going to go through proper install of seperates. I try explaining to kids today that my PQ10 will kick their generic 100 watt per channel amps arse, but they just don't get it:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited October 2007
    Db's get my vote a great speaker
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have the 320i's, and 325i's still, but my car does not deserver $600 per pair speakers, and I am not going to go through proper install of seperates. I try explaining to kids today that my PQ10 will kick their generic 100 watt per channel amps arse, but they just don't get it:rolleyes:

Every car deserves a pair of $600.00 components besides you can take them out when you sell it. Of course if a new one is is in the near future I know how you feel. Better off to just wait.
  • bizza
    bizza Posts: 21
    edited October 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Well my commuter is an old (96) Pontiac grand prix. It is a great little beater, good on gas, has power, and I don't care if a shopping cart hits it. I am not going to sink any money into a real system, but want decent sound. The fronts are 5 1/4s, and I already got some 6x9 Alpines for the rear. The Alpines are nice, but really want an amp. I like smooth mids, and highs. They are more important than ghetto bass. I was looking at last years Polk's for the fronts.
    I was looking at these
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=51800&c=3&tp=97
    particularly
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51800&i=107DB525&c=3&tp=97
    or
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51800&i=1085012I&c=3&tp=97

I am using a head unit for now, but may use an A/D/S PQ10 (4x30) some mega power handeling is not a priority.
    PS
    I like to hear what is going on around me, and quaility more than blaring tunes like I did 10 years ago:)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE whatever you do, dont go with the infinities, unless you like no having midbass, and you like hollow midrange and harsh highs...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    ....and bleeding ears
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2007
    I did a 96 Gran Prix ... couple years ago though. We put in 5 1/4" Polk EX-II's in the front and Pioneer TSA 6x9's in the back deck.

2 problems I ran into...

1- The 'goofy' external crossovers on the stock speakers (I think it had premium = dog **** factory audio, so it had an outboard xover built into the door and deck) made it annoying to figure out which wires were actually the 'full hot' wires from the deck. Once I got that squared away, no big deal.

2- The front door speakers are in a funny spot on the door... it's just quirky enough that your knee will cover the speaker grille... which doesn't affect the midbass much, but it just kills the vocals totally. There wasn't a whole lot I could do about it, except tell the owner that she should try to keep her leg from laying against the door, and tell her passengers to do the same, else she wouldn't hear much high end at all.

The alternative (solution) would be to go with a cheap component set, that way the tweeter would be up on the dash or in the upper door or A-pillar, or wherever.

If you want cheap... may I recc the following:

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/3401
    Phoenix Gold ZR5 5 1/4" component set -- $69

We put those in my buddy's Dodge 3500 Quad Cab with a pair of Crystal 5 1/4 in the rear doors. You would be surprised how far 100 bucks can get you on the internet. Sounds pretty damn sweet. Needs a better sub setup though -- that's been on the 'to-do' list for a super long time.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge