So I found out high end audio places are amazing!

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Took a field trip today with Cathy(cfrizz) to Goodwins High End in Waltham, MA and all I have to say is:

WOW

Everything from the employees, the selection of equipment, the listening rooms, was just perfect. Finally got to hear my SS/Tube comparison using the same speakers(Dynaudio Focus) and I really prefer the tube. On the other hand, it wasn't 200wpc so it didn't make the cut with Cathy(kidding! :p )

There was this one pair at the end of gigantic bubbly looking speakers, that we were told were over 500 pounds each......wow, talk about a conversation piece. They were being powered by Boulder 2000 series amps(each more than the cost of my car)......

All in all, fantastic experience and if you are ever in the Waltham MA area you gotta go check that place out. A top notch business for sure!

Mark

Forgot to mention, they used Nordost Blue Heaven flat cables for everything they hooked up, no upgraded power cables(except for 2 I saw), and everything was plugged into regular surge strips.....which I found interesting because of how people push towards power conditioners, etc.
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, Awesome place. Will there be a forthcoming review of those Dynaudios with and without tubes?

Anybody make a purchase? Good stuff!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like the place has changed. I visited Goodwins when it was in Harvard Sq in the late 70s. I wanted to replace the arm on my Thorens turntable with a SME. The salesman who was English told me that arm was a POS and told not to buy it. He had one in a box that was partly assemblied and showed me all the faults in 10 seconds and then tossed it back in the box and I'm sure he caused damage. Made me feel like a stupid ****. Never went back.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Yeah, Awesome place. Will there be a forthcoming review of those Dynaudios with and without tubes?

Anybody make a purchase? Good stuff!

No purchases for me or Cathy. Unfortunately I probably couldn't even afford one of the gold plated connectors they use on the ends of the speaker cables at the moment but figured I'd go anyway and check it out.

I guess you could say Cathy and I had different preferences with the Dynaudio Focus, with hers being the only one that matters since she was the initial one interested in the purchase.

My statement:

For a 39 pound tower they sounded amazing on both the SS and Tube amp. The SS was a 250wpc Simaudio Moon W-8($11,750) and the tube was a 50wpc Audio Research VSi55 integrated($3,495).

In the end, I actual found the tube significantly easier to listen to. The instruments I felt were easier to listen to and everything had a well rounded feel to it. I didn't find myself desiring to reach for the volume knob toward the end of live recordings when the clapping and other sounds came like I did with the SS.

I really am not qualified to write a review on equipment of this caliber, just stating what I felt when I sat in the chair listening.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Sounded like fun...we have ( http://www.centurystereo.com/equipment/equipment-audio.html ) a place like that in San Jose back when I lived there. I was a kid at the time, and like you couldnt even afford the speaker connectors. Funny thing is , now that I can afford that stuff I havent gone back ( Order off the internet mostly ) ....I may have to make a trip there now :)

P.S. You forgot the MOST important thing about your trip...you are supposed to say how nice Cathy looked for her " Field trip " :D
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    I really didn't want to leave the place, the rooms were amazing and there was hundreds of thousands in equipment to play with and listen to.

But toward the end I got a day ruining phone call.....that I am trying to deal with at the moment.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    First off I want to give HUGE thank you to Mark for bringing me out to Goodwin's Highend in Waltham! Terrific guy with a very nice car!:D

Well Mark did a very good job of describing all the equipment that we listened to.

I was very impressed with the Focus 220's. The fit & finish is excellent & it is a weight that I can handle all by myself (which is critical) The fellow that set everything up for us just picked it up & walked into the room with it.

Most important factor is with my test cd with my favorite music on it..the tweeters sounded wonderful! nice & clear, & most importantly no sibilance.

The bass was also very good & present without a sub to back it up.

After which, I asked the fellow to hook up the Tube integrated. We both could tell the difference in the sound. For me the sound was a little too laid back, the backup singers were a little too recessed. I guess no matter what speakers you have you don't have to worry about any sibilance at all when you use tubes in the system.

As Mark stated he didn't feel like he had to go reaching for the volume knob when the applause started up to turn it down. I felt and it sounded as if the audience was just applauding to be polite not that they really liked the performance. In a live performance cd, I want to feel & hear a 'you are there' sound no matter where the volume knob is at.

Well I now have another speaker company to fall back on & be very happy with if I am unable to replace my current speakers with another pair of Polks.

Mark thanks again for the field trip. It was a whole lot of fun, & I really appreciate your generosity in taking me out there! Good luck with rescuing your school project!:eek:

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    First off I want to give HUGE thank you to Mark for bringing me out to Goodwin's Highend in Waltham! Terrific guy with a very nice car!:D

Well Mark did a very good job of describing all the equipment that we listened to.

I was very impressed with the Focus 220's. The fit & finish is excellent & it is a weight that I can handle all by myself (which is critical) The fellow that set everything up for us just picked it up & walked into the room with it.

Most important factor is with my test cd with my favorite music on it..the tweeters sounded wonderful! nice & clear, & most importantly no sibilance.

The bass was also very good & present without a sub to back it up.

After which, I asked the fellow to hook up the Tube integrated. We both could tell the difference in the sound. For me the sound was a little too laid back, the backup singers were a little too recessed. I guess no matter what speakers you have you don't have to worry about any sibilance at all when you use tubes in the system.

As Mark stated he didn't feel like he had to go reaching for the volume knob when the applause started up to turn it down. I felt and it sounded as if the audience was just applauding to be polite not that they really liked the performance. In a live performance cd, I want to feel & hear a 'you are there' sound no matter where the volume knob is at.

Well I now have another speaker company to fall back on & be very happy with if I am unable to replace my current speakers with another pair of Polks.

Mark thanks again for the field trip. It was a whole lot of fun, & I really appreciate your generosity in taking me out there! Good luck with rescuing your school project!:eek:

Cathy

Not a problem, was a pleasure going for the ride.

As for the school project, it's tanked, the final document we had got hosed when she converted it from .docx to .doc and now our project is nothing but a nice page of letters and symbols......trying to figure out what to do.
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    OMG! That's horrible. I hope you can get something worked out.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2007
    I wish there was something in FT Lauderdale like that place. All the money, and mega yachts around here, and I have not found anything like that.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    All is well Cathy, project is recovered and submitted safely. :D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    I remember my High End Audio Adventure..

Man It was fun to hear stuff that cost as much as a house and car

matter of fact the tubes I got there are for sale ...at a huge loss...

Glad you kids had fun !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    Outstanding!!!! All's well that ends well! I'm happy for you Mark. :)

Thanks again!:)

All is well Cathy, project is recovered and submitted safely. :D
  • beardog03
    edited October 2007
    Ms. Frizz...WOW

I was just reading your sig !

You got serious girl !!

Sunfire 405wpc.....:eek:
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    :( I'm sorry you have to sell some of your tubes Robert I know you like them.

One thing both Mark & I appreciated is that I told the fellow who helped us up front that this was a future planning, contingency planning trip. (I wasn't planning on buying anything.) It didn't make the slightest bit of difference. He was helpful, polite, & very informative. No pressure to buy anything, just a very nice relaxing fun afternoon listening to a pair of speakers.
    beardog03 wrote: »
    I remember my High End Audio Adventure..

Man It was fun to hear stuff that cost as much as a house and car

matter of fact the tubes I got there are for sale ...at a huge loss...

Glad you kids had fun !
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    :D LOL! It was all timing, & luck Robert! Another member here was selling his Sunfire amp. I was just looking for a 200wpc 5 channel amp whose weight I could handle. When he told me how much it weighed I told him SOLD! The extra 200 watts is just a bonus.

It didn't make my speakers sound any better since the specs rate them only up to 250wpc.

It's just nice to know that my speakers have all the power they need to perform to their full ability now & in the future.

That is why I always recommend 200wpc for tower speakers. As far as I'm concerned I'm future proofed as far as power & speakers go.:D
    Ms. Frizz...WOW

I was just reading your sig !

You got serious girl !!

Sunfire 405wpc.....:eek:
  • beardog03
    edited October 2007
    Jesse and I saw some speaks that were the best sounding 30k speaks I have ever heard !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• cfrizz
    edited October 2007
  • beardog03
    edited October 2007
    ooooh !

me likey !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    Cathy, I just finished looking up that last system we listened to although I couldnt find the speakers but I'm guessing well over the $80,000-$100,000 range

$33,000 - dCS Scarlatti CD/SACD upscaling transport
    $41,500 - Boulder 2010 preamp
    $79,000/pair - Boulder 2050 monoblocks
    same Nordost Blue Heaven cable as every other setup
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    OMG! where is a fainting icon when you need one?:eek:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    OMG! where is a fainting icon when you need one?:eek:

Yea, i was thinking the same thing.........I told you that last system looked REALLY expensive haha
  • beardog03
    edited October 2007
    gotta love it !

aint it nice to be able to spend the afternoon enjoying nice toys ?!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    gotta love it !

aint it nice to be able to spend the afternoon enjoying nice toys ?!!

Yea, i would gladly have spent longer had it not been for that phone call!:rolleyes:
  • beardog03
    edited October 2007
    glad it all worked out though...
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    Glad you guys had a great time :). Its amazing how a single hi end component can cost more than most of our complete systems lol.

I do have a question for one or both of you though. I seen an item on audiogon that I am interested in and if I purchase it, are either one of you willing to make a trip back there to pick up and ship to me?

They probally know how to pack, but I know I would feel more comfortable having either one of you do this. knowing as a fellow audiophile that you know how it would feel to get a new toy that is poorly packed and broken.

I would be willing to compensate for gas time packing materials etc. I dont expect either one of you to do this for me, but it would make a great excuse to go back look and listen to other items.

Of course I would expect that if one of you does this that you try this out in your system for comparison purposes :D first before shipping.

Plus this would be a great reason for a second date with the lovely C Frizz if you went together again. :p;):)

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited October 2007
    When you guys get really bored

I think the store is Innovative Audio ---

Its Manhatten, NYC

They have a room, JUST THE ROOM that cost 500,000 dollars...

The system in that room, cost more than the room itself

Now that room, was something to witness and listen to...

Glad to hear you guys got your ears on some high end stuff, it makes things interesting..

But just imagine how much more is out there, there are speakers that cost as much as the entire system you just listened to...

Pretty crazy stuff...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    When you guys get really bored

I think the store is Innovative Audio ---

Its Manhatten, NYC

They have a room, JUST THE ROOM that cost 500,000 dollars...

The system in that room, cost more than the room itself

Now that room, was something to witness and listen to...

Glad to hear you guys got your ears on some high end stuff, it makes things interesting..

But just imagine how much more is out there, there are speakers that cost as much as the entire system you just listened to...

Pretty crazy stuff...

I've got to see this, and I live like 20min. away from this place...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    snow wrote: »
    Glad you guys had a great time :). Its amazing how a single hi end component can cost more than most of our complete systems lol.

I do have a question for one or both of you though. I seen an item on audiogon that I am interested in and if I purchase it, are either one of you willing to make a trip back there to pick up and ship to me?

They probally know how to pack, but I know I would feel more comfortable having either one of you do this. knowing as a fellow audiophile that you know how it would feel to get a new toy that is poorly packed and broken.

I would be willing to compensate for gas time packing materials etc. I dont expect either one of you to do this for me, but it would make a great excuse to go back look and listen to other items.

Of course I would expect that if one of you does this that you try this out in your system for comparison purposes :D first before shipping.

Plus this would be a great reason for a second date with the lovely C Frizz if you went together again. :p;):)

REGARDS SNOW

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa at the last line.

Since I have the car I can take care of this for you. And do you want them to pack it and me to verify their packing or do you just want me to pack it all together?

Since it is from Goodwins I would rather have them verify and test it for me while i listen to more of their gear rather than use my own. :D

Let me know.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa at the last line.

Since I have the car I can take care of this for you. And do you want them to pack it and me to verify their packing or do you just want me to pack it all together?

Since it is from Goodwins I would rather have them verify and test it for me while i listen to more of their gear rather than use my own. :D

Let me know.
    Will do BaggedLancer. Thanks for the help. I fired off an email last night to them and hopefully will hear back soon.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D