Some advice, please

polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,830
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
So, my almost 5 y.o. Sammy 54" rear-projection HDTV blew a convergence chip, with a repair cost of $400+ :eek: ( already had it looked at- out $100 anyway :( ). Since the TV was $1700 new back then, I honestly don't know if it's worth fixing?

I have several choices, obviously, in that I can fix this and have a 90 day(bfd!) guarantee on a much-used set, or I can think about getting a new one, although I am not sure about getting another Samsung, even though this is the first "serious" problem I have had with their gear.

FWIW, I would not even think of getting anything less than a 60" model,
no matter which format (DLP, plasma, LCD), as we are too used to having
a large screen :) .

Any advice would be appreciated, especially on manufacturers/ display types you have experience with.
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
Post edited by polrbehr on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    With as cheap as they have become...as well as how old your model is...I would just buy new. Seeing as you need a convergence chip, its rear projection correct ? Those are even cheaper then Plasma or direct view LCD.....and the newer technologies have made them worlds better. Go new :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited October 2007
    When my TV went I chose to go to a Projector instead of rear projection TV.
    Sorry to hear your problem.

Good Luck on your decision,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited October 2007
    Sell it as is for $50 on CL. You can get it out of the house for free, and cover the cost of shipping of the new TV. Surely someone out there wouldn't mind that TV for $450 (or less if they are of the DIY type.)

A friend of mine just purchased a new sharp aquos 46" lcd. I know its too small for you, but that is one of the best pictures I have seen to date on an LCD. Unbelievable. I'd definitely keep Sharp in the mix when weeding through the different brands...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    Look around, see what you like. Sammy are decent, I have heard many a good things about them.
  • polrbehr
    edited November 2007
    Update bump, only because Samsung deserves it, IMO.

The TV got fixed, A) Because I just didn't have the coin for a new one right now,
    and B) Samsung replaced the convergence chip at no cost :cool: !!!

So, while it did cost me almost $300 for labor, it's still better than the $450 I was looking at
    two weeks ago.

Just thought I'd pass on some good PR on Sammys' behalf, as the TV has been out of warranty for almost a year.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    That is encouraging news and thanks for passing that on. Normally, you only hear about what’s wrong and how terrible they are. I'm very happy with my Sammy.

If it does break again, I have a two pound mini sledge that will fix it.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I would've made a cool fort out of it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    Excellent - congrats on the fix. You would not have found anything better for $450 let alone $300.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    Congrats on getting it fixed cheaper, companys that do this sort of thing it pays off quick with customer appreciation via word of mouth = free advertising.

regards snow
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • polrbehr
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I would've made a cool fort out of it.

Next time it takes a ****, you'll be the second one I call.

m00pie will be first, just to make the access hatch with his hammer.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    Let me take it to Calverton to put some .223 through it. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I have a nice .223 to follow up on that :0 Great idea.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.