Recent DVD purchases

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited October 2002 in Music & Movies
Picked up Beauty and the Beast for my five-y.o. daughter. We avoid many Disney movies because they ruin classic literature and we find many of the movies, simply, offensive.. but this one at least has the lovers getting to know each other before they get married! That Cinderella is so easy.

After one rental, I bought Jimmy Neutron because I could already see the writing on the wall concerning rentals and late fees... better move financially to just buy it! Surprised.. pretty good flick. Lots of 80s songs covered on the soundtrack and good use of the surround channels. Good chance adults would enjoy this as well as kids.. I know we liked it. There is some subtle humor, over the heads of kids.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure... paid $6 new expecting full screen and no extras.. but was happily surprised to find widescreen! Loved Pee Wee from way back... decent transfer to DVD. "I meant to do that!"

Original Austin Powers. Picked it up because, like the Naked Gun movies, I can always throw it in when nothing else sounds good.

ET the Extra **** comes out next Tuesday. I think I'll probably buy it.. good family movie. I worked as a projectionist in high school.... I've seen some parts of ET at least 187 times...literally.

Wife rented Amelie... what the hell are those people saying?? Can't they even speak %&#(%@ English! Didn't finish it.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Options
    What do you find offensive about Disney movies?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • burdette
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I suppose it would be a combination of things... I'm not concerned about political correctness for its own sake, but at the same time, I think people can be decent and smart about things... and, I should say, our dislike with Disney is due to having kids in the house and trying to educate them to be good people. I personally can handle being 'offended'...

We don't care much for the way Disney portrays some women; many characters are essentially mean and mean spirited; all step-relatives are evil; very superficial reasoning behind emotions, such as how most Disney women want to marry some guy they've never met; blatant and consistently, teenage princesses/heros in Disney movies disregard the words of their parents and do exactly what they are told to not do; the barrage of marketing and toys and etc; the free-hand to change classic literature to the point of changing the very essense of the story/moral..... just sort of put it all together and we decided that Disney movies are not an 'automatic' for our kids. I just don't need to hear my five year old say "well, Ariel didn't do what HER daddy said."
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Hell, using that reasoning, you've just about ruled out the kids ever seeing anything ever again! :D

Personally, I don't particularly care for the Disney Classics, but I really do enjoy most of the newer releases.

Shep
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    Options
    We avoid many Disney movies because they ruin classic literature and we find many of the movies, simply, offensive..
    WOW!!
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure -Nice A Public Masterbator

Original Austin Powers - Daddy wan'a shag!
    Wife rented Amelie... what the hell are those people saying?? Can't they even speak %&#(%@ English! Didn't finish it.
    A - NO - it wasn't an english movie.
    We don't care much for the way Disney portrays some women; many characters are essentially mean and mean spirited;
    Welcome to american society. Disney tries to mimic real human nature in their movies.
    Hell, using that reasoning, you've just about ruled out the kids ever seeing anything ever again!
    Leaves Barney and the Telatubbies!
  • shiznit311
    shiznit311 Posts: 95
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I bought Scooby-Doo last Friday. It's pretty good; except the ending pissed me off. I won't reveal anymore for those that haven't seen it. If you like the cartoon it at least worth a rental.

I'm going to get Gladiator next. Probably pick up Spy Games, and maybe Changing Lanes too.

I can't wait till Nov. 12th. SW, Spidey, LOTR, and Staind Unplugged. Memo to self... work some OT before Nov. 12th.:D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    Options
    i love disney they are awsome some of them are not as good as others top

beauty and the beast
    aladin
    tarrsan
    the little mermaid
    the lion king
    toy story
    atlantis
    jungle book
    snow white
    lilo and stich
    peter pan

my least favorites but still like
    hunch back
    fantaisa
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I was really let down by changing lanes. I thought there would be more sabotage between Ben and Samuel. Instead it was more of how their lives were screwed up by the incident. Slow going information at that.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

Leaves Barney and the Telatubbies!

oh remember one of the Teletubbies is ****. :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

WOW!!
    Pee Wee's Big Adventure -Nice A Public Masterbator

:supermad: come on now scottvamp. it's masturbator... how can you do it if you don't spell it right? :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    I suppose it would be a combination of things... I'm not concerned about political correctness for its own sake, but at the same time, I think people can be decent and smart about things... and, I should say, our dislike with Disney is due to having kids in the house and trying to educate them to be good people. I personally can handle being 'offended'...

We don't care much for the way Disney portrays some women; many characters are essentially mean and mean spirited; all step-relatives are evil; very superficial reasoning behind emotions, such as how most Disney women want to marry some guy they've never met; blatant and consistently, teenage princesses/heros in Disney movies disregard the words of their parents and do exactly what they are told to not do; the barrage of marketing and toys and etc; the free-hand to change classic literature to the point of changing the very essense of the story/moral..... just sort of put it all together and we decided that Disney movies are not an 'automatic' for our kids. I just don't need to hear my five year old say "well, Ariel didn't do what HER daddy said."
    call it what you like but it sounds like politically correct statements to me...
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2002
    Options
    That or he just doesn't want his kids to imitate the disobediance seen on the movies. Considering kids imitate LOTS of things on television *surprise..surprise* *wigger note* I think it's a damn good gesture on his part to actually do some thinking about what he fills his child's head with.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited October 2002
    Options
    What is next? People blasting Pepe LePew?
    Well, he does practically rape the female Cats...
    Remember Pepe, No Means NO
    :p
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I will agree that some of the movies that Disney puts our are not suitable for kids. My wife and I will watch and agree on movies before the kids see them. Pooh and tiger are great shows that Disney puts out, but the little mermaid is not for my kids. It is our responsibility as adults to decide what is right for our kids. As adults we all have different ideas and that is fine, but I also believe that as adults we should respect what others deem to be appropriate for their kids.
  • jdelan
    edited October 2002
    Options
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited October 2002
    Options
  • Billm57
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by LiquidSound
    That or he just doesn't want his kids to imitate the disobediance seen on the movies. Considering kids imitate LOTS of things on television *surprise..surprise* *wigger note* I think it's a damn good gesture on his part to actually do some thinking about what he fills his child's head with.

and its a parents job to teach a child was is real and what is not real (tv , movies)..not hide them from it...if a kid imitates something on tv its the parents fault..i get sick of hearing how some moron kid killed himself becuase of some song lyrics or jumped off the roof of the house because he wanted to fly like Superman does on tv...its always some outside influence that gets blamed instead of teaching children they are responsible for their own actions ..and before I get flamed for this though I should say ive raised two kids so i speak from experience
  • Billm57
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by jdelan
    What is next? People blasting Pepe LePew?
    Well, he does practically rape the female Cats...
    Remember Pepe, No Means NO
    :p

he should at least practice safe sex and use an Acme rubber
  • jdelan
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Heck, I jumped off of my deck when I was about 6 with an Umbrella...Sprained my Ankle...Think my Father sued Disney? Nope, he beat my hide and said I deserved it cause I was so stupid to try it...
  • burdette
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Billm57 and anyone else....

I agree that you can't shield kids from real life - at least not forever. However, considering my kids are 2 and 5, I think we're still at a point where we can do a little shielding. No flames intended.

We used to let our kids watch the few Nick Jr. shows on CBS on Saturday mornings... Blue's Clues, Little Bill, etc. A few weeks ago, we turned it on and there was some new Nick Jr. show on we hadn't seen before. Within about 20 seconds, I heard "shut up", "four-eyes", "tubby" and a couple of other choice words that we'd prefer our kids not use. Are those real words used in the real world? Sure. But we can teach our kids that those aren't nice words. We're trying to teach them to be good, respectful, thoughtful people so I don't have a problem in keeping some control over the media they see right now.

You should remember how kids mimic and imitate... my two year old went around the house saying "god damned dog" a couple of days this summer because I wasn't careful! Anyway, all parents make their own decisions concerning what is and is not appropriate for their kids.
  • Billm57
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    Billm57 and anyone else....

I agree that you can't shield kids from real life - at least not forever. However, considering my kids are 2 and 5, I think we're still at a point where we can do a little shielding. No flames intended.

We used to let our kids watch the few Nick Jr. shows on CBS on Saturday mornings... Blue's Clues, Little Bill, etc. A few weeks ago, we turned it on and there was some new Nick Jr. show on we hadn't seen before. Within about 20 seconds, I heard "shut up", "four-eyes", "tubby" and a couple of other choice words that we'd prefer our kids not use. Are those real words used in the real world? Sure. But we can teach our kids that those aren't nice words. We're trying to teach them to be good, respectful, thoughtful people so I don't have a problem in keeping some control over the media they see right now.

You should remember how kids mimic and imitate... my two year old went around the house saying "god damned dog" a couple of days this summer because I wasn't careful! Anyway, all parents make their own decisions concerning what is and is not appropriate for their kids.
    understood..everyone has thier own methods..i do know about kids imitating ..i corrected them when it happened but knew it was inevitable they would still hear it on tv or school..just wait until they get to pre-school and regular school..they will learn more bad things from thier peers than any Nick show..anyways..enjoy..its a great age! enjoy it cuz they grow up fast!!!

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    Options
    it is good for the raiting system but i rember when 1 sware word and you had to put a parental aviery in a cd i think the raitings have gotten relaxed i will buy what i like and if i had kids i would also watch a novie befor letting them watch it when they are young aka under 14- 16
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Options
    From Hell for $13. Intelligent story, great period sets, super picture quality, and deep forboding, near constant DTS bass. A good buy for less than $15.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Rage Against the Machine - Live in Mexico
    Das Boot
    Godzilla 2000

All for less than $20.00. Gotta love those pawn shops.
    Make it Funky! :)