The "Cache"

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am still sorting out my fathers affairs and estate. His record collection is magnificent. I had no idea he had such exquisite taste in music. Maybe if we could've stood to be in the same room together for more than 20 minutes it would've been more apparent. Then again, a lot of them might have been purloined from my collection. When I unleash this vinyl on you mere mortals, you will be in awe. Your jaws will drop, your eyes will glaze over, and your pockets will be emptied.

My two favorites so far are a Chico Hamilton album, where the man is wearing a red silk lined cape on the cover. Not everybody can get away with this attire. Chico looks like he'd cut you into a thousand pieces for just LOOKING at him funny while he's wearing it. The other is a red, clear vinyl recording from the 50's called Fortissimo "Jets". It is mainly field recordings of the "Century" series of USAF fighter aircraft (F-100, F-101, 102, 104, 105, 106) taking off, and doing low fly-bys. It also has a recording of the General Electric M-61 "Vulcan" 20mm Gatling cannon on full (6,000 rounds per minute) blow. It is also the only record I have ever seen that plays from the inside out. It has some sentimental value. I robbed this off him as a teenager and he obviously grabbed it back at some point. The Vulcan cannon on full blow just sounds like a blast of electricity. 100 rounds a second baby! And they blow up when they hit stuff. My kind of toy.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    I'm in! Can't wait!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    Bring it. I've been waiting.....:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    The "Jets" album is going nowhere. Took me a long time to get that puppy back. Again, I have a lot of other pressing issues with his estate. It will take awhile to list, and even more time to get to the point where I have the free time to list. But they're here. I had no idea he had such good taste. A lot also appear to have been purloined from MY collection. How he did this I'll never know. Maybe he just had his "ears" on when I was grooving way back when.

The "Jets" album plays from the inside of the album to the outer edge, and is clear, red vinyl. Darla, from what I can see, I'm not sure you'll share a lot of his taste in vinyl. I'm pulling all the collectible Sinatra's cause there's no way those are going for what I've been selling run of the mill vinyl for.

I think he stole a lot of my Brazilian jazz, or at least had his ears up when I was playing them a million years ago. A couple that I feel are really collectible (Brazilians) are going to Russ, so that he'll finally stop listening to that other crap he fancies.

Joe, maybe you can make that trip up fairly soon. Next week or something. Buy all you want, I'm still not going to like you. Forget HIS stuff, MY stash of classical will bring a tear to your eye, and an incredible hole in your wallet. Bet on it.

The stuff my father had on Impulse, Verve, and World Pacific Jazz (no Blue Notes, I can't believe it) just might make me an ebay seller after all. That and the Floyd, Zep, Beatles, and almost full Sinatra catalog I've had shitholed for years.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007

Darla, from what I can see, I'm not sure you'll share a lot of his taste in vinyl.

Are you saying I have bad taste?:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    Joe, maybe you can make that trip up fairly soon. Next week or something. Buy all you want, I'm still not going to like you. Forget HIS stuff, MY stash of classical will bring a tear to your eye, and an incredible hole in your wallet. Bet on it.

Whenever you are free, I'm there George.

Thanks again.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited October 2007
    It is also the only record I have ever seen that plays from the inside out.

Never heard of this, cool for sure.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited October 2007
    GG
    I am curious as to who did the pressing on the Red inside/out one. Recording of the Century? Is this thing in the lines of a Nat. Geo, or TIME type thing in it's day?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    It has nothing to do with National G or Time. It took me a long time one day in the 60's to figure out why putting the stylus down on the outer edge yielded no results. Yes, it is a cool man item for sure.

Darla, no. Definitely didn't mean that. I'm really excited about trying to find the time to list all these. There is also a shitload that I left at his house. I'm sure there is something for everyone. Today I boxed up what must have been a couple thousand videotapes. About ten were pre-recorded. The guy was completely out of his mind.

Joe, next week is looking good for me. We'll firm it up when I know for sure. This weekend I have to fly. Still a part-timer for the Jersey Air Guard.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Maybe it was made for those record players on the other side of the equator. You know, the ones that spin backwards?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Maybe it was made for those record players on the other side of the equator. You know, the ones that spin backwards?

See, they had regional encoding back in the 50's!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

I've seen dozens of them!!! Then I quit drinking.:D :rolleyes: