Bestbuy pulling all analog tv's from stores

krabby5
krabby5 Posts: 923
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
wow..I just saw on the news that Bestbuy is only going to sell digital tvs from now on..they are pulling all of the older analog sets..

This might be old, but I never heard this before
Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
Post edited by krabby5 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    I've heard about this a little while ago. I don't know why they just don't have a big sale on the analog TVs though. The cable companies provide boxes that make the analog TVs still usable.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    I've heard about this a little while ago. I don't know why they just don't have a big sale on the analog TVs though. The cable companies provide boxes that make the analog TVs still usable.

Yeah, you would think a really big sale would be a whole lot easier for them and money in the pocket. That is unless the manufacturers are giving them full credit towards digital replacements ?
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    Like said above, they should just have a big sale.

I like analog CRTs :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    I did not know this... But then again all I need is music, which is what I use my dvd player for. But this is a pretty good move for them.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    Actually manufacturers have been prohibited from making tv's, vcr's, and dvd recorders with analog-only tuners since March 1st of this year. Since March 1, 2006 tv's 25" and larger have been required to have digital tuners if an analog tuner is included. And the same for tv's 36" and larger since March 1, 2005. Manufacturers can still make monitors (tunerless). Any device with an analog-only tuner in it is required to have a consumer warning on it as well. Several companies were recently fined for violations for displaying the warnings.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    it's fine to pull the plug so to speak on analog TV's but they should not do away with CRT's. tube TV's can be digital as well. I was looking at all price ranges of flat planel TV's. and I was not impressed with them, they all had to some degree video artifacts and pixilation problems. whenever the scene changed the pixels could not keep up with the video. it was slight, but it was every so present. untill they can get the refresh rate down to miliseconds, it will always be inferior to a CRT display. just my two pennies for today. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    it's fine to pull the plug so to speak on analog TV's but they should not do away with CRT's. tube TV's can be digital as well. I was looking at all price ranges of flat planel TV's. and I was not impressed with them, they all had to some degree video artifacts and pixilation problems. whenever the scene changed the pixels could not keep up with the video. it was slight, but it was every so present. untill they can get the refresh rate down to miliseconds, it will always be inferior to a CRT display. just my two pennies for today. :)

And an excellent 2 pennies they are.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    danger boy wrote: »

You are correct about the video artifacts and pixilation problems. When I watch old black and white TV shows such as "THe Twilight Zone" there are all kinds of aritfacts.

Funny thing about this though. I had to put my NAD AVR in the shop. To be able to watch TV with the Comcast DVR and movies with the Oppo, and not wanting to mess with the wiring job (what a pain in the ****) I connected the HDMI cables from the both sources. Since then I've really been noticing the artifacts and pixilations.

Are component connections better for picture quality than HDMI connections?
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2007
    As far as HDMI and component go, I prefer component. I had the same problem with HDMI. It drove my eyes crazy. Component was much better IMHO.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited October 2007
    in my experience with HDMI and component, i see a give and take with both. IMO, component seems to have better color representation where it lacks with detail. Where as i notice more detail with HDMI but have to tweak the color a bit. maybe the higher detail achieved with HDMI it is easier to see the artifacts? im not an expert its just what ive noticed from using both on the same source.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    I should start a thread on this one.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Are component connections better for picture quality than HDMI connections?

no. in reality there should not be any significant difference in picture quality. the only thing is component has one more step to it.. it has to convert the picture from analog to digital. component being analog connections. but you shouldn't get any picture quality loss using component. As HDMI evolves and LCD's and plasma screens become better.. I think eventually, there may not be any need for component video connections.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    yawn.......................
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    When they state Analog are they saying Analog Tuner? I mean a lot of so called Digital receiver boxes split out an analog signal, being Composite, S-Video, or Component. Any signal just short of a HDMI signal is Analog.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• danger boy
    edited October 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    When they state Analog are they saying Analog Tuner? I mean a lot of so called Digital receiver boxes split out an analog signal, being Composite, S-Video, or Component. Any signal just short of a HDMI signal is Analog.

yes those TVs with analog tuners ONLY in them.. soon they will be useless.. even though the end date for analog signals from TV stations keeps getting pushed back every year. what's it up to now.. 2010? this was suppose to happen this year. but it keeps getting pushed back farther and farther...

if your display, be it LCD, plasma, CRT, DLP, etc. if it has either HDMI or DVI, it's considered a digital TV. it may have an analog tuner in it, but it will usually also have a digital tuner as well. ;)
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited October 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »

When they state analog, they mean that the television doesn't have a built in ATSC tuner. It is only equipped with NTSC.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    The date for the OTA analog shutoff has been Feb 17, 2009 for some time. Cable companies are allowed to rebroadcast the OTA locals as analog until 2012. Local channels are the only ones affected. Also the local stations are only required to broadcast digitally. It does not have to be in high definition. Another common misconception is that all channels have to do high def. Again, the local stations are only required to digital, and there are no requirements for the other cable/satellite channels to do HD at all, though of course many are switching to HD for the superior presentation.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Then if that is only Analog Tuners, I feel BB couldn't have made a better business decision from them or us Joe Q public. Reason if they sold it when switched to digital only yes "Digital" 480i not HD, Joe Q public would need to add a digital tuner to Analog tuner TV.

Good move IMHO :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer