Truck wont start when amp hooked up

BigSubBoomer
BigSubBoomer Posts: 19
edited November 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
So, I just got all the custom installation fabrication done and fit everything in and hooked everything up...

only problem is that when i hooked it up my truck wouldn't start so...

i got a jump and a charger and could barely start both
then i got it started and turned it off and tried to turn in on again and it wouldn't

took the fuse out of the inline fuse and then started it without charging it or anything

so my amp is taking to much power on start but not actually draining my battery,

What do i do? What can be done?
Post edited by BigSubBoomer on

Comments

• BigSubBoomer
    edited October 2007
    my setup is
    1300 Clarion amp 400-500 Watt
    2 X 12" clarion 350 RMS
    and a 500 watt wiring kit with 60 aue fuse
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    May be a stupid question but you don't have the remote wire hooked to a constant 12v on those amps do you? If so, that means they would always be on and draining the battery. Check to make sure the amps turn off when you turn your truck off.
  • BigSubBoomer
    edited October 2007
    no i have the remote wire hooked up to my head unit which turns off when the car turns off
    but, the issue isn't draining the battery its that its taking to much power from the starter to turn on the engine.
    would a capacitor fix this problem
    where is a great location to hook the power wire to the battery?
  • rz22g
    rz22g Posts: 70
    edited October 2007
    no i have the remote wire hooked up to my head unit which turns off when the car turns off
    but, the issue isn't draining the battery its that its taking to much power from the starter to turn on the engine.
    would a capacitor fix this problem
    where is a great location to hook the power wire to the battery?

What vehicle? You also need to give more details. When you try to start does it turn the engine over but very weak... do you hear the starter click... complete silence??

I cannot see what you describe happening as being the fault of a correctly installed and correctly functioning amp. Disconnect all wires from the amp with the exception of the main power wire, which should go directly to the battery and be fused near the battery. Try to start the vehicle. If it does start then reconnect the remote power lead and try to start the vehicle again. If it starts continue reconnecting wires until the problem surfaces.

If you are 100% sure your wiring is correct, try a different amp.
  • BigSubBoomer
    edited October 2007
    its a 1998 dodge dakota and you hear the starter turning but its just not catching

i nkow my wiring is good because ive gotten sound out of this system before but then it died
  • rz22g
    edited October 2007
    its a 1998 dodge dakota and you hear the starter turning but its just not catching

i nkow my wiring is good because ive gotten sound out of this system before but then it died

I would try the steps I suggested. I forgot to mention the ground but ground the amp and hook up the power wire. Do not hook up the remote wire. See if it starts.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    I agree the amp should not cause this problem. The amp at idle is drawing basically nothing. If the starter is spinning but the engine is not starting its not a battery issue anyway. Let us know what you find out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited October 2007
    If the starter sounds like a motor turning really fast and nothing is happening...broken tooth on the flywheel.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Could the "Battery" just be in a **** state and can't do both at the same time. Have you had the charging system checked the battery checked?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2007
    Check the voltage with a volt meter while starting if it drops below 11 volts its a **** battery but if nothing is catching like you said a tooth is chiped
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2007
    Even if a "Good" battery could just be in a low charge state, due to a "Heavy Listening" session. If you suck move power you better have a Nice battery and a Hell Amp output Alternator.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• rz22g
    edited October 2007
    He already stated that he can jump start the truck and it would start with the amp disconnected so it does not sound like a busted tooth.... also a spinning starter does not necessarily mean a busted tooth.

It could be a bad battery but for a correctly wired, correctly working IDLE amp to prevent the truck from starting, the battery would have to be complete, total crap to begin with.

Sounds to me like an incorrectly wired setup or he is inadvertingly leaving out some important details. Regardless the troubleshooting steps I suggested would narrow it down but that parts up to him.
  • jfeinman
    jfeinman Posts: 29
    edited October 2007
    Or here's an idea: it wouldn't solve the mystery, but put a switch in-line on the main power line that goes to your amp. Wait for the truck to turnover, and then flip the switch.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    might want to put a solenoid or a high amp relay in there hooked to that switch
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Check the flea market for high amp car audio relays :D. I hear someone named BaggedLancer is selling 2.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited October 2007
    Why do I still think it's the Battery:rolleyes:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BigSubBoomer
    edited November 2007
    i hooked up to the starter wire part of my battery instead of some other place or something
    whatever it works now
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    We all live and learn. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• mirra540ryder
    mirra540ryder Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    i got a 92 ford f150 and sometimes when im going slow it kills the car with my amp on i think its the alternater
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited November 2007
    Ahhh take the amp back and box it up send it back ...........................................................................(dell support phone call) ever heard the joke !!!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables