recommend processor and chipset for music?

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
i'm building another computer and this time around, it's geared towards recording the band. i looked online for info, didn't find anything at all, so i turn here as a last resort. i must find a processor and mobo that's geared toward, or at least performs well in music creation. i am not looking to socket 775 for this one, as my gaming pc gets very warm and the fan on a 775 heatsink are noisy. can anyone suggest anything?
sorry if this is completely off topic, but i have to shop within the week to make the studio deadline!
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2007
    Just the chipset and processor or an entire computer. What components do you already have to build the computer with? What's the budget?
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited October 2007
    As long as you find something reasonably new, the process really won't make much of a difference. It's the sound card and software that you'll want to do research on.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited October 2007
    +1 to what Polkmaniac said.

I'd say the audio card and recording equipment are going to impact sound quality while the motherboard and processor are going to affect processing time. It depends on how sophisticated your audio program is as to how much horsepower you need. I'd bet a decent dual core motherboard and CPU would do just fine unless you're talking really high end software.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited October 2007
    +1 on the soundcard I use nuendo and reason software. I am using a older P4 3.4 ghz cpu and it runs fine. The soundcard is the main thing I went from a SB live card to the M-audio delta 10/10 card HUGE difference I had some no alot of latency with the SB live card when using my keyboard or drum pad. The M-audio card has 0.3ms latency compared to the SB live card was 12.5ms, I would concentrate on a good soundcard and ram more than the CPU.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Go Soundblaster X-Fi .... from the lowend X-Fi to the highend X-Fi's...the cards sound really good.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    SoundBlaster is geared for games, and make shift surround sound. The M-audio is your best bet, the SoundBlaster, just is not up to snuff when it comes to recording. I would never recomend a SoundBlaster product, I have owned a couple, and the last one I had, just stopped working for no reason. I called to have it fix(still under warranty). They gave me the run around until the warranty period was up and told me it would be anywhere from 30-140 bucks to have it fixed. Shoot even Turtle Beach is better than SoundBlaster when it comes to recording.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, M-Audio without a doubt.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520