Whoa, what a way to start the day.

edbert
edbert Posts: 1,041
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
No fun links or anything just a story of my morning commute into downtown Dallas on Central.(you DFW guys will relate to the area, the rest just enjoy the story).

I got an early start to the day and was actually making some pretty good time. I left early enough that I was beating all the traffic for a change and was going to get into work early. My wife calls at me upset because I was supposed to get some stuff cleaned up around the house this morning since I have a college buddy of mine spending the night tonight and she wanted to have things spotless. We were going back and forth on the phone while I am cruising down the highway with everyone else, doing about 70 in the far right lane. There are quite a few cars on the highway, but not so many that you would have to ease your way into another lane if need be. All of a sudden, I see a car about 6 cars or so in front of me in the far left hand lane(four lanes total) that had basically taken a right turn and was cutting across all the lanes perpendicular to normal traffic and slam almost head first into the wall next to the lane I was driving in. He managed to miss any other cars in the process and wasn't actually hit himself. Everyone kind of slowed down for a second and then kept on driving. I saw him slowly get out of the car and stumble towards the front of it and I pull over to make sure he is okay. I called 911 to get someone out there and help this guy out. He didn't want an ambulance, but definitely needed a tow truck. The guy was totally dazed which makes me think he either fell asleep or passed out or something. He told me to go ahead and go since the police were on the the way and he did need a witness for any reason. I then proceed to get back into my car and try to get on the highway, where I had to force my way in because no one would let me over!

I felt bad for the guy because it was a pretty crappy way to start the day, and at first glance, no one seemed to care.

Here's the question, are people that uncaring that they won't stop to help someone that they just saw slam head first into a wall at a pretty good rate of speed?

I'm not trying to toot my own horn hear, just wondering if that is something people just don't do anymore. Just curious on what you would honestly do.
I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
Monitor 30's - surrounds
CS1 - center
PSW10 - I'll let you guess
Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
Sony Progressive scan DVD
XBOX

SOPA since 2008
Here's my stuff.
Post edited by edbert on

Comments

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2007
    that's because people suck...everyone is only looking out for themselves
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited October 2007
    I feel for Ya having to drive the Central. I lived in Plano for about 6 mos. 20+ years ago and enven back then the first question the insurance agent asked when I got new ins. on the car was "Do you drive on the Central?" Rate was almost double if you did.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Why should people stop? The guy wasn't hurt badly or dead, there was no blood flowing down the street, he didn't hit any cars, traffic was only momentarily impeded, and you were there to help the guy out. If not you, then somebody would have done it. I wouldn't have stopped.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    I'm willing to bet a good portion are afraid to pull over for risk of being injured themselves. How often do we see the stories on TV when someone pulls over to help someone and they get hit themselves because of someone not paying attention. I swear for atleast every other accident there is a secondary accident as a result of the curiousity factor.

Also, many people who are pulled over would rather not have the help because they are afraid of what people might do to them. I.E. rob them, hurt them, steal their car, etc....the world is getting to be a sick place and this is what many people fear these days.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Also, many people who are pulled over would rather not have the help because they are afraid of what people might do to them. I.E. rob them, hurt them, steal their car, etc...

I think you're more likely to get sued than any of those other things. The world's not as dangerous as the media wants you to believe.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I think you're more likely to get sued than any of those other things. The world's not as dangerous as the media wants you to believe.

true, forgot about getting sued. Either way, people don't want to risk the negative for doing a positive.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    People just suck any more. I was riding my motorcycle up to Tucson one time and this guy in front of me gets literally "spun-around" pretty much destroying his car via the guard rail. The **** who did it continued on driving. No one even blinked an eye. I pulled my bike over, ran up to the guy--he was ok, shaking like hell, but unhurt. His car (which looked to be new) was a friggin mess.

I helped him pick the pieces up off the highway (of course **** just flying by us as we worked). He didn't see who hit him; I didn't get a good look at him either.

Hopefully karma has caught up to that ****.

Hey what about the 82 year old world war II vet that the 23 yr old punk was punching the **** out of, trying to steal the ol guys car---Meanwhile there's like 6-8 guys "spectating" off to the side on the camera that caught the whole thing---just standing there while this old guy gets pummeled. That frickin pissed me off. What if that was one of their grandfathers getting beat down like that? It was on the news a couple months ago...luckily the ol guy was ok, bruised and such, but ok. Tuff old bird would not (and did not) let go of his car door. Guess he had far more pride than the 8 limp dicks that wouldn't help him.

America...land of the oblivious, home of the law-suit?? What's our country becoming?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2007
    edbert, you did a good thing stopping. You never know if a person is injured.

Most people don't want to get involved regardless if there is any risk to them.

Nothing has changed.

Way back when in the 60's a DJ on AM radio was so upset in Boston because a women was raped on the street and screamed for help. Many people heard her scream yet it took a long time before any one called the cops. The DJ tried to make every one carry a dime and just call if you see some one in trouble. It is no risk to you to call the cops and you don't need to be involved.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    I'm gonna do what is right, screw a lawsuit. That reflection in the mirror is ME.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited October 2007
    Yeah my dad was in a crash once, he thinks he was passed out for about 30 minutes before the medics got there. I guess someone called 911, but nobody stopped to see if he was ok. Kind of pisses you off to think that people are like that. If it were me, I'd stop. Of course if there is anything gory, I'll probably pass out myself, lol.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited October 2007
    I have stopped more then once to assist people but find that people now a days are nervous about people coming to help because of scammers and thieves.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    This past May a woman ran her car into my person and got out and started screaming at me so I'm not surprised that no-one but you gave a hoot. Things are getting really self-centered.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited October 2007
    ......and thats why,Joe,you should always carry a plate of pasta with you.
    Tames the wild beast in most anyone.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'm gonna do what is right, screw a lawsuit. That reflection in the mirror is ME.

Right on Steve!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    ......and thats why,Joe,you should always carry a plate of pasta with you.
    Tames the wild beast in most anyone.:)

Now how long do you think a plate of pasta is going to last in my grubby hands without getting scarfed down?:D