Head Unit Install

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
How difficult would it be to install a head unit like the following:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=020DXZ775&c=3&tp=5684

I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff. Also would like to install two pairs of Polk MMC650 speakers along with the head unit too.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited October 2007
    Installing is usually not too bad... depending on the car. Buy your head unit and speakers from Crutchfield and they'll include needed wiring and mounting adapters as well as excellent instructions. They even have tech support available should you need it.
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    bluzrip wrote: »
    Installing is usually not too bad... depending on the car. Buy your head unit and speakers from Crutchfield and they'll include needed wiring and mounting adapters as well as excellent instructions. They even have tech support available should you need it.

Thanks.

I'm researching the aforementioned Clarion head unit and looking at either the Polk dB series or the Polk MOMO MMC650s.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    The radio doesnt really affect the install, its the car that determines how hard/easy its going to be.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    The radio doesnt really affect the install, its the car that determines how hard/easy its going to be.
    -Cody

In what way?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    Its because it depends on the factory/stock system. For example, in my civic, I had to take out the center panel, glove box and the panel under the steering wheel. In my friend's Jetta, I just had to pop it out. Every car will be a little different, but you're still pretty much doing the same thing. The differences you find are usually for good reasons (mostly security).

Very little of it has to do with the actual head unit. Like bluzrip said, you'll also need a wiring harness and possibly an installation kit. crutchfield and cardomain usually include these free for your application (don't forget to let them know your vehicle's make and model).
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Its because it depends on the factory/stock system. For example, in my civic, I had to take out the center panel, glove box and the panel under the steering wheel. In my friend's Jetta, I just had to pop it out. Every car will be a little different, but you're still pretty much doing the same thing. The differences you find are usually for good reasons (mostly security).

Very little of it has to do with the actual head unit. Like bluzrip said, you'll also need a wiring harness and possibly an installation kit. crutchfield and cardomain usually include these free for your application (don't forget to let them know your vehicle's make and model).

Thanks, I hope it's not too difficult.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• exalted512
    edited October 2007
    make/model/year of your car?
    -Cody
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    make/model/year of your car?
    -Cody

2000 Nissan Maxima.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• exalted512
    edited October 2007
    If my memory serves me correctly, you pop out the panel around your shifter first, which will expose screws for the radio mounting bracket. I think you have to pop out the ac controls on top as well but i cant recall.
    -Cody
  • bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited October 2007
    Crutchfield's site indicates that your chosen head unit will fit. But note that the size of speakers you want will be affected by whether your Maxima has the Bose stereo or the "base" stock stereo.
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    The shifter trim bezel has to come off, the ash tray needs to come out it has a phillips screw on the left side and a snap on the right side. The vent panel above the radio pops out. There are two screws above the radio in the vent cavity and two below it. Take these out and the whole radio and HVAC assembly comes out. The radio whether it is a double din or a single din will bolt in to the factory brackets. The MMC6500's should fit the front doors ok but you may have to drill some new mounting holes. The rear of the car may have 6X9's or 6.5's. Take a look first and order the apprpriate pair. You will have to remove the rear seat to install the rear speakers. Sounds like a start to a really nice system. Don't forget the 4 channel amp.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2007
    Crutchfield is the way to go 100% of the time
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Crutchfield's site indicates that your chosen head unit will fit. But note that the size of speakers you want will be affected by whether your Maxima has the Bose stereo or the "base" stock stereo.

It has the "base" stock stereo, so this means it uses 6.5" speakers, right?

Thanks for all your help.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Installer4life
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    It has the "base" stock stereo, so this means it uses 6.5" speakers, right?

Thanks for all your help.

The speakers should be 6.5"s. This is a oversize 6.5" speaker which is what the Polk MOMO are. They should fit with little modifcation.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    The speakers should be 6.5"s. This is a oversize 6.5" speaker which is what the Polk MOMO are. They should fit with little modifcation.

Also - which speaker is better, the Polk MOMO or the db's?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited November 2007

Just like he says , They include everything your gonna need and the instructions for your specific vehicle . The instructions will tell you how to remove your factory unit and install the new unit . They really make it easy . I called their tech service when I installed my new Alpine CDA-9883 , problem solved in a couple minutes . Their shipping is usually free and scary fast .
  • Installer4life
    edited November 2007
    MOMOs are better if you have the power.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    MOMOs are better if you have the power.

Thanks, I'm considering the MOMO MMC650's paired with the head unit in my first post and a 4-channel amp. Not sure which amps are good though.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1