Need help and advice

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,994
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I recently sold a receiver locally. The guy who bought it wrote me yesterday saying there was a difference in dbs of 13 from left ch and the right (thr right one being the lower one). I would have never known this as it was hooked up as a simple 2ch bedroom system with two r10s and a yamaha sub and a maranzt dvd player. It was used by my wife only for tunes while getting ready for bed or reading etc..... He is asking me what we can do? the receiver is no longer under warranty.
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    How recently ? And basically used audio equipment doesnt come with a warranty, thats why when I am buying something electronic its locally and I check it out very well...every channel...noise...everything. You really don't have any obligation unless this was stated before hand.

When I rarely do buy something electronic over long distance...I make sure its such a good deal that if it needs repair I will cover it if needed. Like the second RF2000 amp I picked up a couple of months ago off of craigslist in Arizona...it was 1,200 new and the guy wanted 150 for it....it came perfect..worked flawlessly...but if it hadnt I wouldnt have called the guy...I would have fixed it myself.

You really dont owe him a thing....maybe he cant find the balance control ;)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Willow
    edited October 2007
    It was sold last Friday night. He seemed to be an audio guy. He told me about his system, Engery Veritas Mains deftech sub, nad avr and a 3ch amp. If I would have known it was defective I would have told him. The other thing is it was hooked up when he came over to buy it, he had the chance to play with it if he wanted. He listened to it for about 1 min .
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    If he came to your house to demo it first, that's different. Unless he was a friend, I wouldn't take it back.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    how old is the receiver? if it's over 20 yrs old, and you sold it 'as is" then he's out of luck. if it's just a few years old.. then maybe he should get it repaired and then you and he can maybe split the cost of the repair. maybe. not sure.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Basically when he came to listen to it ...regardless 1 minute or 1 hour...he signed off on it then as good to go.
    From that point on it could have been something he did to the unit to cause the failure of the unit....you are not responsible any longer.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited October 2007
    Honestly --

You can tell that kind of difference, even in a minute or listening... it would be on one side or the other...

Sounds like he effed up.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    edited October 2007
    It was an Hk340 so it's about 2yrs old. So all in all I owe him nothing. He is not a friend , just a guy who bought something off me on our city used web site where I posted the add.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited October 2007
    Willow:
    Honestly, it's buyer beware. He had ample opportunity to listen. Just tell him sorry, but it was his responsibility to check the piece thoroughly.

I had an HK 870 amp I sold on Craigslist, it was in perfect shape, three days after I sold it the guy emailed claiming a channel blew out the first time he turned it up. It turned out the guy was notorious for getting dead equipment and then buying a good identical piece then trying to get money back.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2007
    Have him bring it back, make sure its the same serial #, then refund. That's what I would do.