Van Halen

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,163
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just got back from seeing Van Halen. I went into this without a very high expectation. Eddie's rehab, David's abrasive personality, no Michael Anthony, I really thouhgt this was a recipe for a train wreck. I was wrong.

What a great trip down memory lane. Very high energy show and they truely looked happy to be up there together again. Sure it's like a greatest hits tour, but they have so many great songs and they just played one right after the other. They played for 2 hrs., w/o much of a break.

Eddie and David both looked extremely fit and David was running around doing a few kicks and twirling the microphone stand. Eddie was smiling, hopping around jumping and stutter stepping. They sounded damn good for a 20+ year old band.

David forgot some lyrics as usual his timing was a bit off when singing and he couldn't (didn't really try) to hit any high screams. Eddie made some mistakes and I didn't think he was quite as quick on the fretboard, but he still has the fire and passion and he can play like a ****.

Wolfgang did a good job, was front and center a few times but mostly left the spotlight to David and Eddie. You could see the joy between father and son playing up on the same stage as they would pose together and smile while playing.

We had great seats, off Eddies side of the stage about 12 rows off the floor. could see everything perfectly.

All in all a great nostalgic show that had much more energy and musicality than I thought it would. Not once did I feel they were just going thru the motions. They were alive and feeling it just like back in 1984 when I saw them last.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited October 2007
    I can't believe they didn't schedule something for Dallas on the first leg...unless they've changed/added it. I would have gone to that.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • heiney9
    edited October 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    I can't believe they didn't schedule something for Dallas on the first leg...unless they've changed/added it. I would have gone to that.

Yes, weird. 2 shows in Chicago at 2 different arena's. They play again at the United Center tomorrow night (Thurs). I can't believe what great seats we got considering we just ordered on-line. Same goes for Rush when I went last month. No way will you get in the first rows just buying on-line, but these seats were the best I've had to a big name concert in a long time.

For those that are going to see them just look at it as a trip down memory lane and expect a very high energy show with vintage DLR hokey comments and Vegas lounge-esque antics. Eddie really still has it, no doubt.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2007
    Nice review man....now I may pick up tickets for the Phoenix show. I was going to pass, but now I may splurge. Glad you had a great time.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2007
    I have been looking forward to this show since the 90's....never thought they would ever get back together.

Unfortunately their concert in MN is in a bad arena (Target Center) compared to the much newer Excel Energy Center.....so I won't be going..

sucks..cause I really wanted to see this show..

oh well...hopefully they put out a nice concert DVD in the future..

glad you liked the show:)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited October 2007
    There's a pretty good VH fan page that has some video of the concerts as well as set lists and other info...

Van Halen News Desk
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited October 2007
    Damn, Brock! Excellent on the concert action!:D Did you catch VH when they came to the Metro? Who's next?
  • heiney9
    edited October 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    Damn, Brock! Excellent on the concert action!:D Did you catch VH when they came to the Metro? Who's next?

Yes Dave, I did see them in 1983-84 at the Metro. I also saw then in (1986 ?) with Hagar.

I really did enjoy hearing all the old songs again and Eddie's still got it.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    blakeh wrote: »
    There's a pretty good VH fan page that has some video of the concerts as well as set lists and other info...

Van Halen News Desk

Yeah, they have a good amount of stuff up. But some of the youtubes are invalid...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.