Play toy

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm in need of a car to have as a side project. Something I can invest like 2 or 3 years of my time just building up. I mean going deep....taking it all the way down to the block and porting and balancing it out real nice and everything. Then taking the head and port and polishing it up real nice. I wanna do the works on something that looks real good and that is "user bolt-on friendly". Anybody have any suggestions? Plus in the end after all the wrenchs are turned and bolts are screwed on it'll have the fully decked out Polk system. OH YEAH!!!!
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    What's your level of expertise? Budget is a BIGGIE? What tools do you have access too? Doing ALL the work yourself or farming it out?

Probably a big block Ford or Chevy is doable, like maybe an older Mustang.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2007
    Well I'd like to re-do an import if you have any in mind. But I'll think about the V8's also. Thanks! Please more posts!!!!

And the reason I say the import is because I know WAY MORE about working on them than I do an American Muscle V8. But I will definately look at the American Muscle though!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    Theres a guy over on the S2000's boards throwing a LS1 V8 into his S2000. That sounds like fun and has gotten a LOT of press in the real world.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited October 2007
    C4 or C5 'vette cheap for what you get and TONS of information and (cheap) parts for them.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2007
    Older Miata with a Ford V8. Very doable, fairly inexpensive, and would be a blast to drive when you get done.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited October 2007
    ledhed wrote: »
    C4 or C5 'vette cheap for what you get and TONS of information and (cheap) parts for them.

I have a white C4 I may part with if you are interested. It has a few custom parts (Borla, ground effects, wing etc..) but mostly stock.
    Venom
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited October 2007
    MKIII GTI, Maybe a MKIV R32 or GTI......There is a whole lot of fun to be had with these.....I wish I had the $$ to get into that...The Jetta is getting a makeover once I can get a winter beater....
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Older 240sx with a skyline swap would be my choice. Drift king!
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2007
    I think you guys are missing the point I'm trying to make here. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but I'd kinda like to take something and leave the original motor in but take the original motor down to the block. Then pulling the block out and taking it to a machine shop and boring it out and polishing it up real nice. Install the block back in and take the head and port and polish it up real nice. Then follow up with putting the head back on and installing new higher duration cams and pistons and all that good junk too. Pretty much taking a stock motor down to it's stock block and then building it back up using all new performance parts.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    I think you guys are missing the point I'm trying to make here. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but I'd kinda like to take something and leave the original motor in but take the original motor down to the block. Then pulling the block out and taking it to a machine shop and boring it out and polishing it up real nice. Install the block back in and take the head and port and polish it up real nice. Then follow up with putting the head back on and installing new higher duration cams and pistons and all that good junk too. Pretty much taking a stock motor down to it's stock block and then building it back up using all new performance parts.

Sounds like you need a Supra, or what about importing a banged up skyline?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    LS1 f-body.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2007
    Ya know BaggedLancer I've thought about something like that Supra. I've actually thought about a Supra, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4 AWD, or a Nissan 300ZX also. Wouldn't it cost quite a bit to import a skyline? I dunno nothing about Skyline's. I'd definately have to read up on them.

Face I like the idea about the LS1, but what years of an F-Body are you talking about?
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    The LS1 came in the 98-02 F-body. That route would be MUCH cheaper than any of the cars you just mentioned.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    LS1 for the win, no doubt.

What you're talking about doing just SOUNDS like a V8.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    Ya know BaggedLancer I've thought about something like that Supra. I've actually thought about a Supra, Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR-4 AWD, or a Nissan 300ZX also. Wouldn't it cost quite a bit to import a skyline? I dunno nothing about Skyline's. I'd definately have to read up on them.

Face I like the idea about the LS1, but what years of an F-Body are you talking about?

I think Motorex out in cali does skyline imports. Definately costs more than a few pennies, possibly an arm and a leg and maybe some other body parts but should be doable. The 3000 gt vr-4 is nice, but they are tanks weighing in at just under 4k pounds(from what i remember). 300zx but id rather the 240sx or skyline.

What about a Galant VR-4? I have a friend that has an insanely fast one he built for really short change. They have the same 4g63 motor as the first evolutions stateside, so I imagine finding aftermarket parts for them is easy as can be. Not to mention the coolness factor of a 4 door sedan hauling **** and blowing the doors off other "sports cars"
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    LS1 for the win, no doubt.
    With the stock heads and cam, no spray or supercharger, I was able to get my C5 to run 11.64 @ 114. As long as they're set up correctly, they're very potent motors.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2007
    Aw man!! I don't know whether to look for a 1998 Camaro SS or a Mitsusbishi Galant VR-4! LOL I really appreciate y'alls help. I guess it's all up to me as to what I wanna "play" with, huh?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    Aw man!! I don't know whether to look for a 1998 Camaro SS or a Mitsusbishi Galant VR-4! LOL I really appreciate y'alls help. I guess it's all up to me as to what I wanna "play" with, huh?

Definately the galant, cause if you get pulled over you can tell the officer he was mistaken, you were just going to the supermarket to get your groceries and pick the kids up from practice :D Try doing that in a Camaro.
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    No contest. Camaro!

Of course, it is all personal preferrence.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2007
    Hey probably a dumb question, any difference between the Camaro and Trans Am besides looks? But any handling or motor difference at all?
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    I believe the TA is a little heavier, that's all.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2007
    Hey probably a dumb question, any difference between the Camaro and Trans Am besides looks? But any handling or motor difference at all?

Same car in almost everyway. I've done a 93' with the LT-1 6 speed and a 98' with the LS-1 auto. Both respond very well to mods but take some knowledge to work on.As far as ported heads, your better off buying a set from someone like MTI. If you think this hobby cost alot, you are in for a shock. If I was going to do an import I would go with a supra, RX-7 (rotory motor) or a 289 swap in to an older miata.
    I'm selling my bike now to raise money to restore a first generation f-body. I found a few for sale but they all require a road trip. I should make a move in a month or 2.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited October 2007
    I have done a few cars over the years. I have found that the big block fords are the easiest to work on as parts are readily available. The GM LS1 is also easy to find high performance parts for. My preferences have been the ford 429 scj, the 428 fe and the 351w.

The ford 351 windsor can be built up to 427 cu. in. yielding about 500 rwhp. I have a 408 in my cobra with a 500 hp garrett 93 mm intercooled turbo and on 25 lbs of boost it makes over 1000 rwhp.

The 429 can be taken out to over 600 cu. in. My 71 torino cobra has a 577 NA making 915 flywheel hp and 745 rwhp in my torino cobra.

I have a 66 galaxie with a 428 fe slightly warmed up but the car is basically a stocker.
    94 mustang svt cobra with a supercharged 351w making 568 rwhp turning consistant 10:80's at 136mph.

I have a 68 buick wildcat convertible with the 430 cu in. Finding high po parts for it is far more difficult than the chevy LS1. Great car though if you like driving an air craft carrier around. In my day this car was considered a full size and the torino was a midsize. Today the torino is bigger than a Taurus or Malibu of today's vintage.
    My best advice is to choose the style of car your interested in and set your goals, stick to em and add about 35% to your budget.... at least
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    Those pictures look really awesome...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    Nice Buick!
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    *droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool* @ BAD ASP

I'm assuming that Cobra's a kit car. Which company did you decide to go with?

That's soooo my dream project! A Factory Five Cobra with a 500HP big block that's somewhat streetable, until I turn up the turbo (or turbo's!)!!!

Tell me you've taken that to the track with some drag radials!!

You've certainly had some awesome rides! Do you still have them all?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BAD ASP
    edited October 2007
    I still own all of the cars I mentioned. The cobra is a Superformance and it has been to the strip with drag radials. I have found that the car is driveable up to about 20 lbs of boost after that there isn't enough tire. As it is with 295 rears if you stand on it in 3rd at 65 or so they break loose. Throttle management is key since the wheel wells won't allow more then 315's. Also the rear half shafts and diff are suspect and traction would only make that worse. It has run 9:90's but it isn't rated for faster than 11's so it is deemed unsafe by track officials.
    My twenty year old son's favorite is the buick and I have to admit I am partial to it and the torino. The cobra is an absolute E ticket but it's not an all day cruiser, but it is eye candy and a total thrill. My son's and I built the motor and did all of the work as well as any of the mechanicals for the other cars as well. It's great for father son bonding.
    Attachent shows the engine bay just as we were about to crank it up for the first time.
    Home Theater
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    You might want to consider a Fox Bodied Mustang from '79 -'93. There are thousands of them out there and there are lots of parts now being reproduced and new. My favorite is the '89 - '93 LX 5.0 Coupe (notchback). It's a couple hundred pounds lighter than a fastback and they are a lot of fun to drive.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BAD ASP
    edited October 2007
    Shack is absolutely correct. The fox Mustang is a great driving car with literally thousands of upgrades available from hi performance drive train to body kits and interior kits. My son has a 90 Gt and loves it.

incidentally the engine is a 577 cu. in. with all the good stuff making 900+ flywheel h.p. this will find a home in a torino.
    Home Theater
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited October 2007
    I think Motorex out in cali does skyline imports. Definately costs more than a few pennies, possibly an arm and a leg and maybe some other body parts but should be doable. The 3000 gt vr-4 is nice, but they are tanks weighing in at just under 4k pounds(from what i remember). 300zx but id rather the 240sx or skyline.

What about a Galant VR-4? I have a friend that has an insanely fast one he built for really short change. They have the same 4g63 motor as the first evolutions stateside, so I imagine finding aftermarket parts for them is easy as can be. Not to mention the coolness factor of a 4 door sedan hauling **** and blowing the doors off other "sports cars"

Motorex went out of business after the founder was killed for pissing off some less than desirable people, and the EPA found out that they bribed their way into certifying the R34. You can actually find a R32 or R33 pretty cheap, and I think there is another company in Cali that does the imports now....Motorex brought a lot of R32s and 33s across the pond, and they are kinda expensive to maintain/repair if you can't do it yourself....Most people sell them at the first sign of trouble.