PC Bootup...

jakelm
jakelm Posts: 4,081
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Im stumped.

I have tryed every setting in the boot menu. But still the Logo screan stays on for what seems like minutes, then a black screan with the blinking little line in the top left hand corner, then Windows loads. Boot up takes forever.

I have enabled "quick boot". I have tryed both enable and disable Logo on startup. I have set for HD first boot, instead of floppy and cd rom. But nothing seems to speed up the process.

My old Dell was in widows within seconds, when I enabled quick boot.

But my new PC just takes forever.

Any ideas?

Jake
Monitor 7b's front
Monitor 4's surround
Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
M10's back surround
Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
Harman/Kardon AVR-635
Oppo 981hd
Denon upconvert DVD player
Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
Mit RPTV WS-55513
Tosh HD-XA1
B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
Post edited by jakelm on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    That's an odd place for it to pause. If it were later, I'd say you have a lot of crap in your Windows Startup, but you're before that point...

Strange.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    That's an odd place for it to pause. If it were later, I'd say you have a lot of crap in your Windows Startup, but you're before that point...

Strange.

Just built PC, nothing in startup.. Its not windows. I tryed to update BIOS, but not helped.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited October 2007
    You started correctly by selecting "fast boot" and "disable logo", but these are BIOS options and have little affect on Windows boot time itself, just how quickly it gets to it.

Before startup finishes it brings up all services, too. Check on the web for guides, which MS services can be disabled.
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    It almost sounds like something screwy with the hard drive. Have you checked the master / slave settings (assuming it's IDE)? At that point it's (I think) just loading Windows from the disc into memory, so the only things that would be limiting factors are... the disc and memory.
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    It almost sounds like something screwy with the hard drive. Have you checked the master / slave settings (assuming it's IDE)? At that point it's (I think) just loading Windows from the disc into memory, so the only things that would be limiting factors are... the disc and memory.

Same IDE HD I had in the older Dell, reformatted. I double checked for Master.

1g memory.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited October 2007

I did also notice, when not boot up with logo, it takes a while to locate all of my drives. But once it loads and displays the drives a few seconds later it switches to that aggrivating blank screan with the flashing line in the top left corner. That goes on for another 20 seconds or so.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited October 2007
    This is my MOB. Asus, A8V-XE, I installed a AMD 4200 x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131125
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited October 2007
    I built this PC from scratch so no extra software added form companies.

Running XP Home
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited October 2007
    If I were to guess, I would say the whole bootup process takes well over a minute, which seems long time to me.

I can start it up....go fix me something to drink...use the bathroom, come back and its just getting to the windows black bootup screan, not even the logon screan.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited October 2007
    I just read some of the reviews from newegg. I would replace the IDE cable if you have a spare. Also check the back side of the IDE connector on the mobo to make sure there's clearance with the case.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    I just read some of the reviews from newegg. I would replace the IDE cable if you have a spare. Also check the back side of the IDE connector on the mobo to make sure there's clearance with the case.

Clearence with the case? Do they think its some type of magnetic interference?

I will change the IDE cable. I'll swop it with my DVD rom cable.

I really need to go SATA
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Bamadude
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'd also disconnect all other drives while your testing this out.

Here's the quote from a newegg review "...It turns out that the solder points beneath the primary IDE connector are deeper than the brass offsets between the motherboard and my metal case. Therefore, the primary IDE connector was being shorted out by my case. To fix this problem, I simply inserted an electrical insulator (a folded paper bag works great) between the solder points and the case. My motherboard is working perfectly now."
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd also disconnect all other drives while your testing this out.

Here's the quote from a newegg review "...It turns out that the solder points beneath the primary IDE connector are deeper than the brass offsets between the motherboard and my metal case. Therefore, the primary IDE connector was being shorted out by my case. To fix this problem, I simply inserted an electrical insulator (a folded paper bag works great) between the solder points and the case. My motherboard is working perfectly now."

I just read this. Thanks.

But does this sound like an interference issue? Maybe cable but not case problem?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Bamadude
    edited October 2007
    If the case really was shorting the connector you'd probably not see the drive at all, but doesn't hurt to check. I think changing the cable and removing the other devices for now might help isolate the problem faster.
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    I just read this. Thanks.

But does this sound like an interference issue? Maybe cable but not case problem?

I would guess more of a grounding issue than an "interference" issue. I could imagine, for example, that a pin is grounded that makes the MOBO think it has a drive it doesn't actually have, so it sits there timing out looking for that drive every time. Just a random example, but anything like that.
  • Bamadude
    edited October 2007
    heck, now you've got a good excuse to go sata just to eliminate the possibility of IDE cable/connector problems :)
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Check your boot sequence....same thing happens when the bios is set to boot from the NIC card first then everything under that ( IDE/Floppy/CDROM/etc ) . Some show just the blinking cursor...some actually show the NIC's MAC address onscreen as its trying to receive an IP address during booting.

Seen it quite a few times now that a lot of motherboards are coming with multiple NIC's onboard.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Also make sure you disable any slave ports you are not using...saves boot time looking for drives on them as well....turn off floppy seek....too many of these types of things to even list here can slow your boot times down. I cant even look away from any of my pc's and they are on the windows desktop already...helps to tweak the bios bigtime.

One thing...go into your bios....go to Onboard device configuration....make sure Onboard LAN Boot ROM is DISabled.

Also disable the SATA controller if you are not using it.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    how many sticks of ram do u have in it?
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited October 2007
    i had this issues and am not sure its the same as yours.

it was a dell and it stayed on the dell logo for an extra long period of time. then it went to the blinking cursor and then finally started to do something. and whatever it did took forever. the problem turned out to be a USB device plugged into the back. go ahead and unplug everything from the back including any usb hubs you might have even built into the monitor and then see if it improves.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited October 2007
    sounds crazy i know but i swear to u its what happened. I thought it was bad hardware at first but this was a computer straight out of the box.. so i loaded up the dell diag disk and it came up with a message that said could not initilize USB device. so i unplugged everything excet the keyboard and mouse and then it started to fly at normal speed
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    I think its the fact that I have "removable drive" in the boot sequence. I have no floppy drive, and it might be searching for one. I will make sure to disable any secondary or primary slave drives that are not being used. And set the boot sequence to HD first.

Thanks for all your help, I will give these things a shot tonight. I was busy last night so I didnt get to fool with it.

I have 2 sticks of 512 RAM. 1 stick in the first slot of both bays. There are 2 bays with 2 slots a peice. I have the sticks in the first slot of each bay. Not in the same bays. According to the mobo manual, this is the correct way. And the system is reading it correctly.

The MOBO is grounded to the case via mobo crews. It is supposed to be grounded right?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000