Just curious how many basements people have...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,574
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Never seen people sell so much stuff from their...

"Attic" "Closet" "Basement"

All my stuff is in my room. So if I sell anything else, I'll be sure to call it "The room"
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited October 2007
    Basement doesn't faze me,I have a basement full of crud, it's the "bedroom rig" that I just haven't quite gotten used to..........
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Most people have one.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Most people have just one house, so I'm pretty sure most people will only have one basement. ;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Most people have one.

Basements are extremely rare out here in the Bay area. We did have one in the house I grew up in , but in the past 20 or so years here in the Bay area...looking for homes to buy...family members..friends..co-workers...nobody has had one. I guess they are not as common out here anywhere I have been in Calif. I actually would love a house with one...it would be where I put the home theatre for sure.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2007
    The house i live in has a basement and a sub basement.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • shadowofnight
    edited October 2007
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    The house i live in has a basement and a sub basement.

Is the sub basement the same size as the basement ? That would be really cool for so many reasons. Home theatre on one....pool hall/darts/wet bar/2 channel audio system on the other. :D No noise from either reaching the outside world....
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    I live in a basement, so when I say cleaning out my house, im really cleaning out the basement. :D

My basement is a conservative 40'x40', with 2 walk in closets and plenty of kitchen cabinets. This allows me to store plenty believe me.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2007
    no basement,,, but I do have a "crawl space",,that's why I pay to have the furnace filter changed,,,too many places for "creatures to lurk",, :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2007
    I've got it all.

Gear I am not using gets boxed up and put in the basement.

Some gear that I use but not that often (headphone rig) gets stored in the closet.

The attic is for all of the packaging for gear that I currently use.

My main HT is in my bedroom, the bed is hidden behind the loveseat.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited October 2007
    I don't have any audio gear in the basement any more, but I did have a few spare speakers and receivers before I sold them this spring. The listening/collection room can only hold so much.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited October 2007
    No basement here, pretty much the whole state. If I tried to dig a basement, it would become my "second pool" :)
    Venom
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited October 2007
    Full basement here, mostly finished..
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    Virtually every house here has a basement,but we don't have to worry about water and earthquakes.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Basements are extremely rare out here in the Bay area. We did have one in the house I grew up in , but in the past 20 or so years here in the Bay area...looking for homes to buy...family members..friends..co-workers...nobody has had one. I guess they are not as common out here anywhere I have been in Calif. I actually would love a house with one...it would be where I put the home theatre for sure.

They are rare in Texas also. My 'one' comment was laden with sarcasm in response to Trey's original post, as in 'the number of basements' people have.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    One.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    My Basement is full of Water :(

Well it would be if I dug a hole for one, just 18" or so in some areas and there's water.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shadowofnight
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    They are rare in Texas also. My 'one' comment was laden with sarcasm in response to Trey's original post, as in 'the number of basements' people have.

Cheers,
    Russ

Oh yeah ... It would have been my response to him too...I felt the same sarcasm you did. :D Then ES mentioned he had TWO...I am envious of ONE...two would be awsome.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Most people have just one house, so I'm pretty sure most people will only have one basement. ;)

Thats what I was thinking.

Sadly, I have no basement. I would kill to have more than just one small bedroom to hide in.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited October 2007

I got 2....no 3....I mean 5. Yeah. Yeah, that's it. I got 5 basements.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    I have only one, with almost no storage space after I built the 2 channel room. So no place for extras.
    And if I ever find my basement full of water I will cry like a baby....which reminds me, I need to install that back-up sump pump.....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    I WISH I had a basement. I live in the "slab" zone---Arizona. The upside is that the acoustics are wonderful when your speakers sit on 10" of concrete slab; plus I have no vibration issues.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, not many here in Texas. Everyone had them in Michigan where I lived previously.

It would be nice to have one. Extra square footage to allow you to expand your liveable space as funds become available. Great way to add a nice HT to a home without kicking one of your children out of their bedroom.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited October 2007
    Basements are common some places (e.g., mid-Atlantic and up here in New England) and rare elsewhere (e.g, California).

I love my basement (Platonically, of course)! It is full of hi-fi junk, and the occasional mouse or snake (or predatory cat, after one of the aforementioned potential prey). It is a serious mess, but it's a cool kind of mess.

EDIT: It tends to look sort of like this down there, thanks to the swap pile at our town dump.
    320old20rxs.jpg
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2007
    Most houses around here have basements. I have a 2 part, half fully finished the other half is not.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2007
    I have only one basement.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited October 2007
    I have 11-teen.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    Mine is split into three, finished, workshop, and a unfinished/oil burner/workout area.
    I've thought about moving all my equipment into the finished part of downstairs, but I find it depressing sitting in a basement, especially since the ceilings are low.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2007
    In Fl. We raise the houses from the ground. LOL.

And crack heads around the corner freebase but they dont look "mint" Does that count? LOL

P
    Life without music would
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    There are rarely basements in CA.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited October 2007
    Three-parter here...the main basement which is the HT room (of which half is my daughters' bedroom and computer workstation) then there is a storage room, which has access to the back of my gear, then there is the garage.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.