Control Yourselves!

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just saw this video yesterday dealing with global warming. I think the guy makes a number of valid points, and in an entertaining way.

DISCLAIMER: This is not another global warming thread! No need to get all fired up and start screaming at one another. I posted this more for entertainment value rather than to start another heated debate.

OK...here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg

Enjoy.:D
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2007
    Well done cmy330go

The format seems fair with many sides explained.

It nice to listen to some one try to explain a complex subject with humor and facts.

I remembder a discussion on TV about 15 years ago about abortion. This a very sensitive topic. The moderator had a smart articulate person from each side of the issue and he lstarted by letting both people breifly explain their positions. He then did something that I have never heard of then or since on TV. He asked each person to explain the other person positions. At first these people couldn't do this. Just explaining the other view was almost impossible. Both people quickly started to explain their view again after a few seconds. The moderator was very fair and would stop the people from repeating their position. After a while these two people were starting to listen to each other while they explained the opposite position. They started to explain, clarify and correct there positions with an open dialogue instead of trying to out talk each other. They really started to listen to each other. They changed my views on the subject in that short time because I was listening to boths sides of the issue instead of trying to defend mine.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    If only that could be done with audio. Folks might get somewhere.

Yeah right. I'm dreaming.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bikezappa
    edited October 2007
    Maybe not dreaming.

There are many shades of gray in all issues.

What a great teacher that guy is!
  • cmy330go
    edited October 2007
    You guys might also like some of his earlier videos that lead up to the one above. There is a lot of repeated info, but also some other good points.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2007
    Why do people start threads here that are obviously shrouded in controversy and then claim that it's not controversial and that if we disagree we're not supposed to offer our own opinions/facts? Where is the entertainment? At best it's a Ritalin commercial.

The guy in the video is a Global Warming advocate, which anyone who watched it can clearly see. He puts the dissenter to his opinion in the goofy hat with the fire and brimstone . His arguments and conclusions are so much more complex than he leads on, and he also uses no data to even bother supporting his claim.

The guy was unable to present the argument of those of us who don't agree that there is any such thing as man-made global warming.

Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.
  • cmy330go
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Why do people start threads here that are obviously shrouded in controversy and then claim that it's not controversial and that if we disagree we're not supposed to offer our own opinions/facts? Where is the entertainment? At best it's a Ritalin commercial.

The guy in the video is a Global Warming advocate, which anyone who watched it can clearly see. He puts the dissenter to his opinion in the goofy hat with the fire and brimstone . His arguments and conclusions are so much more complex than he leads on, and he also uses no data to even bother supporting his claim.

The guy was unable to present the argument of those of us who don't agree that there is any such thing as man-made global warming.

Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

Demi I posted this because I found the guy's approach to getting his point across entertaining. THAT'S ALL! I really don't give two shakes about the raging global warming debate.

If you didn't find the video amusing, you could have just said so and moved on.....or better yet said nothing at all.

Is it really that tough?:rolleyes:
    HT

2 CH
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Demi I posted this because I found the guy's approach to getting his point across entertaining. THAT'S ALL! I really don't give two shakes about the raging global warming debate.

If you didn't find the video amusing, you could have just said so and moved on.....or better yet said nothing at all.

Is it really that tough?:rolleyes:

Just saw this video yesterday dealing with global warming. I think the guy makes a number of valid points

Apparently it is....you can't even follow your own rules.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited October 2007
    "Risk Management".

I like this guy's approach to the global warming issue.

Global warming is a fact; the source of this warming is what is debated.

This guy brings forth some good points.
    Should we argue over whether the global warming is man-made or a natural cycle that has occured throughout history ?
    I don't believe anyone can PROVE either point; well-meaning and thoughtful people can be found on both sides of the argument.

I would dare say, and it's one of the points that the guy makes, that there may be valid reasons for treating global warming as if man were the sole cause of it.

He even points out the fallacies in one of the manners in which he presents his own point.

In my opinion, cmy330go found a link that everyone will find interesting and thought provoking. Good job.

He even puts on the table the issue of economic repurcussions if the world decides to deal with global warming, and offers up some interesting solutions.

Does everyone here believe that global warming is happening right now ?
    Please note that I didn't ask, "Is global warming man-made ?", because that definitely is NOT what I'm asking.
    Rather, does everyone believe that global warming is occurring ?

Thanks for your inputs.
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited October 2007
    Pullin' up a chair for this one...........
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited October 2007
    To answer your question...no,do not believe it.Global warming,is not happening on a global scale.Record ice is reported in the antartic.Warming happens every year by me in the spring.Then in the fall,I get global cooling.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    ***DING*** popcorn's ready and my cooler full of beer on ice is right beside me........carry on.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cmy330go
    edited October 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Just saw this video yesterday dealing with global warming. I think the guy makes a number of valid points
    Apparently it is....you can't even follow your own rules.

Did I present this as gospel? Did I say that we need to distribute this to save the world? No. I simply said he has a number of valid points. Which he does.

As I stated before, my reason for posting this clip was for entertainment value. I knew it dealt with a topic that has blown up here in the past, but I thought everyone here might be able to exercise some self control and just enjoy it for what it is. Instead within only 5 replies we've already had a belligerent comment. Apparently I overestimated.:(
    HT

2 CH
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Just watched it. I liked it. The video shows how pointless it is to debate about the global warming issue.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited October 2007
    i'm not sure what made you think posting this even for entertainment value wouldnt bring about debate. I do, however, find it entertaining that at the end of his video he told the viewer to spread the word (yes about how global warming is a threat) and now youve posted it up for everyone to watch.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    Global warming is a fact; the source of this warming is what is debated.

30 years ago, it was claimed the next ice age was coming. These are the same people who created the cute slogan of 'Global Warming' for today. Keep in mind that 'Global Warming', as an issue, doesn't mean dick without the man-made part of the equation being true, which there's no proof it is, and history also tells us it's not true.

Now, 30 years later, and the planets average temperature is slightly warmer in certain parts of the world and our goddamn faces are going to melt off?

The key is, get a grip and realize the world changes.

Can you, or maybe Mr. Science teacher, in all of crank induced infinite wisdom, tell us what the earth's optimal temperature is? I'd really love to hear it....because before man existed the earth got it wrong a few times. Ice ages and a world that was almost a complete tropical rainforest -- with no man to influence it....HOLY ****, I THINK THE PLANET MAY JUST HAVE A NATURAL EFFIN' EBB & FLOW. IT'S A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited October 2007
    The Ice Age was the Mammoth and the Sloth's fault....oh and that stupid little Chipmunk.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • bikezappa
    edited October 2007
    The video is trying to show both sides of an issue with facts and with some humor.

It's not perfect and has many faults.

What I liked about it was that there was a dialogue going on about many sides of the issue.

It wasn't a shouting match between people.

Dialogue = an exchange of ideas and opinions.
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    I watched up until he finished his 4 squares.

The 4 squares only make the slightest bit of since if you believe in GW.

So lets go out of our way and spend billions of dollars "hurting the economy" (as he himself puts it) for something we have no control over.

That makes alot of since to me.

Its that freakin meteor/comet we need to watch out for.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited October 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    The video is trying to show both sides of an issue with facts and with some humor.

It's not perfect and has many faults.

What I liked about it was that there was a dialogue going on about many sides of the issue.

It wasn't a shouting match between people.

Dialogue = an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Dialogue???

The brimstone guy was made to look like an idiot. But this guy's out was, "hey I've got 2 sides of the story here, so you cant get mad"...give me a break.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• bikezappa
    edited October 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    Dialogue???

The brimstone guy was made to look like an idiot. But this guy's out was, "hey I've got 2 sides of the story here, so you cant get mad"...give me a break.

I said it wasn't perfect and it had faults.

Where do you EVER hear anyone talk about both sides of an issue?

The brimstone guy was stupid looking and the other guy looked like a nerd.

The result of a small budget and some one trying to explain both issues.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    Utterly moronic... sigh.... his whole argument mechanism is flawed. If one believes his original premise, you better be religious or you didn't understand his methods...

I'll try to make my way through the last 4 minutes.. BARF!

Edit: Made it... Unfortunately this will probably convince the lemmings.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    That was too damn long... I couldn't pay attention... After reading the first post, there was supposed to be only one point... Yet, in a reply ya said there were points. Just had to -point- that out...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • cmy330go
    edited October 2007
    That was too damn long... I couldn't pay attention... After reading the first post, there was supposed to be only one point... Yet, in a reply ya said there were points. Just had to -point- that out...

And your point is???:confused:
    HT

2 CH
  • tonyb
    edited October 2007
    30 years ago, it was claimed the next ice age was coming. These are the same people who created the cute slogan of 'Global Warming' for today. Keep in mind that 'Global Warming', as an issue, doesn't mean dick without the man-made part of the equation being true, which there's no proof it is, and history also tells us it's not true.

Now, 30 years later, and the planets average temperature is slightly warmer in certain parts of the world and our goddamn faces are going to melt off?

The key is, get a grip and realize the world changes.

Can you, or maybe Mr. Science teacher, in all of crank induced infinite wisdom, tell us what the earth's optimal temperature is? I'd really love to hear it....because before man existed the earth got it wrong a few times. Ice ages and a world that was almost a complete tropical rainforest -- with no man to influence it....HOLY ****, I THINK THE PLANET MAY JUST HAVE A NATURAL EFFIN' EBB & FLOW. IT'S A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The cheesehead has it right on.

Sorry Demi,couldn't resist.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-