SR124-DVC and 500.1

rz22g
rz22g Posts: 70
edited October 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Im considering buying one or two SR124-DVC subs. I have the Polk 500.1 and need advise on the combination. Will this push both subs. Currently pushes my MOMO 12s nicely but these are a step up.

Input appreciated.
Post edited by rz22g on

Comments

• rz22g
    edited October 2007
    Kim wrote: »
    If you plan on installing two subs and one C500.1, then purchase the single 4 Ohm voice coil SR124 subs, not the DVC's. The C500.1 will not drive a 1 Ohm load. The recommended optimum Impedance for this amplifier is 2 Ohms.

So it's not possible to wire the DVC Subs to be 4 ohm each? I was under the impression that if I jumper the + from VC1 and the - of VC2, it would then be 4 ohm. I had planned on doing that to both subs and then hook one to sub 1 out and the other to sub 2, which would result in 2 ohm. If thats not the case please let me know.

Later I will most likely add another 500.1, one for each sub, so I was going with the DVC's in plans for the future.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    2 sr124 would be a waste if u had just that one amp. I have 2 c500's powering 2 dvc sr124. It sounds excellent, but to be honest, I dont think 1 c500 would do these subs justice. At one time I had 2 12" momos powered by the c500.1 and I decided to go with 1 sub instead because there just wasn't enough power for my taste. just my 2 cents.
  • rz22g
    edited October 2007
    2 sr124 would be a waste if u had just that one amp. I have 2 c500's powering 2 dvc sr124. It sounds excellent, but to be honest, I dont think 1 c500 would do these subs justice. At one time I had 2 12" momos powered by the c500.1 and I decided to go with 1 sub instead because there just wasn't enough power for my taste. just my 2 cents.

Thats what Im running now... 2 MM12 on 500.1 and it sounds great to me. Hits very hard. I have no doubt that the single 500 is not going to push 2 of these to their pontential but if each can be wired to 4 ohm each, I can wire them the way I have my current subs wired and I should get similar results. That would keep me happy until I get another 500 to run each sub.

Again Im looking at the future. I don't want to buy SVC and then when I get another amp later Im stuck at 4 ohm.

So my question still is... can the SR124 DVC be configured to 4 ohm by jumping the + / - of VC1 and VC2? Im seeing this in the manual but maybe Im wrong.
  • rz22g
    edited October 2007
    Disregard.. I see now that is two subs at 4 ohm.

Polk needs to step up to the plate on amps.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    here's what I think the best Idea would be. Just get 1 dvc sub, and wire it for 2 ohms to the c500.1 for 500 watts. Don't get the second sub now. This configuration will prolly push about the same air volume as the 2 subs getting 250 watts anyways.... when you've saved up enough, then buy the new amp and the other sub together.

Remember to get thick enough wiring for 2 amps though, that way you don't have to redo your wiring when you come to adding your second amp.
  • rz22g
    edited October 2007
    here's what I think the best Idea would be. Just get 1 dvc sub, and wire it for 2 ohms to the c500.1 for 500 watts. Don't get the second sub now. This configuration will prolly push about the same air volume as the 2 subs getting 250 watts anyways.... when you've saved up enough, then buy the new amp and the other sub together.

Remember to get thick enough wiring for 2 amps though, that way you don't have to redo your wiring when you come to adding your second amp.

Thanks. That is what I have decided to do but Im going to go ahead and get the other DVC and just set it aside because I plan on getting the second amp within a few weeks.
  • rz22g
    edited October 2007
    Two new SR124 DVC's and one new C500.1 are on the way so I will be set, other than rearranging my amps, running larger power wire, and a new distribution block, build the appropriate enclosure, etc.. What have I done!!??