Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited October 2007
    Quading in Jersy pine barrons at Bel Plain. I had a quadracer 500 wide open and hit a burm. I don't remember anything after that, but the wife tells me I hit the ground, bounced up about 5 foot and got caught up in the quad. When I landed, I slid 30 feet on the ground. I woke up on a trailer being taken back to our trucks. My face was all cut up from my cheap helmut breaking apart and my head and back were in alot of pain. The hospital said I had a compression fracture to my spine but beside that I was ok. I tried to ride the following weekend, but the pain was too much. I should have listened to the doctor and stayed laying down but you know what it's like when your young.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    One random day I go to the internet and review my speakers on this site. Then I registered for this forum. Then I came here.

The END.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2007
    How not to spend the day of your wifes baby shower (for our first child - now 8 years old).... While I would love to get another bike (and plan to someday) for now - I have been turned to home theater at my wifes insistance. This is pulled from a motorcycle board I was on at the time. I was riding a '97 Yamaha YZF1000.

I was riding home from my in laws house last weekend (Sat, about 7:30pm). I was heading up to one of the favorite parts of my ride home with a couple cars in front of me. I decided to take a side street (country, two lane, blacktop, no additional lighting) for a short while then turn around so the traffic would be clear. Then I could chase down the cars in the twisty stuff. Turning onto that road was the last thing I remember until I woke in the hospital on Sunday afternoon. The police reports list me as leaving the road at 90 mph towards a farmers field (they are guessing a missed turn). The bike flipped and rolled through the field for 300 feet. The report lists me as airborne for over 400 feet before I crashed to the ground, (to bad I don't remember that flight). The doctors have said that luck and my safety equipment saved my life. All safety gear is trashed due to the EMT's cutting it of my body.
    It lists as:
    HJC LT-12 helmet. (awesome helmet can't say enough good things about it. The fact I am alive at all should say enough.)

Prexport Boots - No foot ankle or shin injuries, I will attribute this to luck and the quality of my Prexport Boots.

HJC Corsa-2 gloves. These are pretty good gloves that held up pretty well. I can't help but wonder if I would have a broken wrist now If I would have sprung for the Carbon Fiber HELD gloves I wanted. All in all, not bad gloves esp. for the price, but my next set will be Held.

Fieldsheer 1 piece courdura suit. - This suit held together well with
    no rips or tears, but it is an older design with little armor in it and I wonder if my leathers would have kept my knee together better.
    In the future I will only wear leathers or better fitting courdura with full armor (i.e. aero stitch). The suit performed every bit as well as I expected it to, but after this accident, I am Going to raise my standards some.....

Total injury to me -

Dislocated left knee (tore all 4 ligaments in my knee)
    Broken right wrist.
    Bruised right lung
    Bruised Aorta.

The field I landed in was a wheat field and there were starburst patterns all over my suit. I could not figure out what caused them, but the doc said it was the wheat stalks exploding since they could not penetrate my cordura suit. If I had not had it on, it would have been like hundreds or thousands of hypodermic needles penetrating my skin - now that would have hurt....
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited October 2007
    Airborne for over 400ft? That's 1-1/3 football fields :eek:
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2007
    would have been a flight to remember - unfortunatly, the drug they gave me in the hospital made remembering the flight impossible. (they could not just knock me out becuase they did not know at the time if there was an nerve or blood flow damage. If my knee had stayed dislocated for 3 hours or more (I was on an old farm road at night - it could have easily happened) they would have had to amputate due to no blood flow (no anything flow) while it was dislocated.

I got extreamly lucky that night (after the crash that is...:rolleyes:)

1) A farmer was driving by with his wife and saw a flash in the field. They thought it was some kids having a party (after harvest) and came back. After they got out of the car they saw bike wreckage and heard me. Farmer called 911 and stood by me. Wife stood by the car to let the ambulance know where I was.

2) 2nd car came down the road and saw the lady standing outside her car and stopped. She happened to be a nurse that had just gotten off duty. She stopped to see me in the hospital and is the one who relayed this story to me.

3) Volunteer rescue got to me and got me to the hospital within 1/2 hour of the accident.

4) My wallet was under the seat of my bike (and the frame that the seat connected to was ripped off in the accident) but I was able to remember my phone number. The hospital called my wife with the message of your husband was in a motorcyle accident and you need to get to the hospital right away - would not say anything else. When she showed up 8 months pregnant, I think they were more worried about her than me...

At least I got a story for threads like this one out of it.......
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited October 2007
    Ah, I knew you guys had it in ya - thanks for sharing :-)
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Woooooooooooooooooow. 400 feet sounds like a long ways. But when you think 1 - 1/3 football fields....:eek:!!!!

Glad you made it so unscathed from that wreck, man. That's totally insane.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    Once upon a time, there wasn't jack ****. Then came this wicked explosion, and everybody lived happily ever after.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    Okay, here's ANOTHER one that really happened.....

Once upon a time, I used to buy shitloads of great Panamanian rum (in Panama). I never ever (not even once) had to pay duty on it cause I'm a crewmember, and everybody knows crewmembers are way cool. Except this one horse's **** that finally DID make me pay duty. Paid more in duty than I paid for the rum. Not a problem, he's going to be mine sooner or later, cause crewmembers never forget. So a few trips to Panama later, me and the crew go marching into the U.S. Customs office, and it's the horse's **** behind the counter. I have all the aircrew declarations in my flight suit leg pocket, cause I'm the guy on the crew that has to collect them. When I pulled them out of my pocket they were on fire cause I was smoking a kabuchi on the crew bus on the way in from the airplane to the customs office, and I'd bet an ember fell into my pocket (or somebody else lit them on fire). I stamped out the flames with my hand on his desk, handed them to him and said, "These are really a hot item around the squadron". I left that boy just standing there. Got him but good. ALMOST everybody lived happily ever after.

I have many, many more beauties, but you probably didn't believe that one, so you'll never believe the rest. But they all happened.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    'nother story!

Every year, Old Bridge Township Raceway Park otherwise known to the common folk (non-New Jerseyan) as Englishtown, has a swap meet. It HUGE and if you are restoring a car, go there for it because you will find something you need or could use. I have never left that swap meet empty handed. They have two, sometimes three of them each year. Once in the spring, once in the fall too.

Anyhoo, one year, myself a friend and his girlfriend drove up. We took the red 'vette (Chevette for those keeping track). We got a bunch of stuff we needed for a 78 Malibu and loaded up the 'vette and started heading home.

We were driving down the venerable NJ Turnpike. We hit a bump and something started vibrating bad. We hit an expansion joint in a bridge and heard a clunk, something bounced off the road and then the floorboards with a metallic tinking sound. The car went for another mile and then the driver's front corner of the car laid down on the wheel. We were like WTF?!?!

So we pull over, take a look and the it looks like the lower control arm is broken. So we jack the car up and it's not. The bolt that goes through the pivot point and holds the lower control arm to the sub-frame is gone. So I start back tracking with a flashlight looking in a futile attempt to find the bolt hoping we can cobble something together to get us home. Yeah, right.

So I wander back to the car to see what my friend came up with to get us rolling again. He asks if I found the bolt. I said "Get real dude." He shows me what he finds. He's got a hammer, a Craftsman screw driver, a wad of zip ties, about 30 feet of speaker wire and vice grips. Ugh.

So we start looking at the A-arm and the stuff and what we're gonna do like a pair of aborigines fishin' for termites. So my friend grabs the A-arm and muscles it back in to place. I jam the screw driver into the bolt hole and it only gets about halfway in so I pound it the rest of the way in with a hammer. The bushings are all chewed up so I zip-tied them in to place to keep them from falling apart and stop holding the screw driver in place. My friend grabbed the vice grips and clamped them down on the blade end to keep it from backing out. It looked precarious so I told him to drive a few feet while I bounced the front of the car and sure enough, the strut mount contacted the vice grips and they pop off. Dang, what are we gonna do now?

I looked at the speaker wire and said "I got an idea! Get the car back up on the jack. So we did and I pulled the wheel off and grabbed the speaker wire. I cut the length in half on the edge of the front bumper sheet metal. Then the Boy Scout kicked in and I lashed the screw driver into the ends. We did the same drive a few feet test and bounce the front end and it worked well enough. Loaded the car back up and took off. Figured we'd fix it when we got home.

Got home and unloaded the Malibu project parts and went to dinner in another car. My friend drove to work the next day in his truck and totally forgot about the Chevette. For like 9 months.

He was delivering pizzas with the car and racked up some miles. He got a wicked vibration in the front and the car started pulling to the left. So we were working at Pep Boys and he had the shop do an alignment. The mechanic working on the car comes in to the parts counter with the service manager and says "Dude, what's this?" and he's holding the screw driver with the speaker wire still tied to it. We looked at each other and started laughing like hyenas.

We explained the story and we told him we went to the swap meet. He thought it was the one in April. We told him it was the one in September from the year before. It was June by the time he got the alignment.

They asked him if he wanted the screwdriver back. he said "Hell yeah! I'm gonna go get a new one!" He took it back to SEARS and the clerk looks at it, gets a quizzical look on his face and starts to say "What happe....you know what? I'm not even going to ask!" He got us a new one and when the transaction was complete, we asked him if he wanted to know and he said sure. So we told him. He stopped us halfway through and said "Wait, my manager's gotta hear this 'cause he'll never believe me!"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    I've heard that one before! ;)

But you threw in more details this time. Good story!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520