critique my car audio system

eagles fan
eagles fan Posts: 2
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello;

I drive a 99 Chevy Silverado, just had a KenwoodKDC MP435U 50w/channel USB port, blue tooth capable etc along with 4 Polk DB461, 4x6 speakers installed. Then went and had and MTX Audio Thunder Amp, 50 W/channel installed.

I really don't know alot about car sound systems other than the initial setup distorted at fairly low volumes, with the Amp it sounds pretty good.

Does the 50w/channel amp add to the 50w/channel coming from the receiver?

Does this sound like a decent setup?

Is MTX a decent AMP?

Should I have gone larger on the AmP?

Install a Sub?

I'm fairly content with the setup other than trying to navigate through the menu's on the receiver but always looking to improve. I want to hookup the blue tooth. Kenwoods website sells them for around $175.00. The place that installed the AMP will buy it and install for about $250. I think I'll do this one myself. Is there a more generic way to get my cell to work through the receiver, rather than using Kenwoods products?

Thanks for your help. I know lot's of questions
Post edited by eagles fan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    eagles fan wrote: »
    Does the 50w/channel amp add to the 50w/channel coming from the receiver?

First off, your receiver was putting out more like 7 watts per channel. Not 50. But the answer is no. The receiver sends out a passive (without power) signal to the amp so youre listening strictly to the amp.
    Does this sound like a decent setup?

Yes
    Is MTX a decent AMP?

Very much so.
    Should I have gone larger on the AmP?

A friend of mine put it best. "Get as much power as you can afford." However, 50 watts is fine.
    Install a Sub?

If you want the best, most accurate reproduction of music you should.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eagles fan
    eagles fan Posts: 2
    edited October 2007
    WOW!

That's not what I expected. Thank you thank you! Very positive, to the point.

So my Kenwood is only putting out 7watts. I believe that though. Can you explain this a little bit. Even though it says 50 watts per channel. The guy that installed the amp said something similar to what you said except I really couldn't understand him.

thanks again for a great response.

Jeff
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2007
    Stereos and Amps have 2 diffrent power raitings, 1 is called RMS ( the only one u need to pay attention to)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2007
    It is not that they have two different ratings, it's that people go by the max ratings on the HU's instead of the RMS ratings. All of my HU's have stated their RMS power ratings, as well as the max ratings. Many amplifier makers also do the same thing. Still, I would not go with HU power. My wife on the other hand is quite happy with her system being powered by an Alpine CDA-7894. This HU puts out about 27 watts RMS.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin