Boston or Memphis...

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,054
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to car audio. I stopped in a local car audio shop & he carries Boston & Memphis speakers & a slew of other gear. Let me tell you, both companies display's really woke me up to how well a car stereo can sound. Do you guys have any opinions on these companies for car audio? The owner was first class & we actually got talking about HT & 2 channel. It's not really his first love but I got him thinking. Then I got real excited when he showed me what one of his reps carries, Energy speakers (Veritas in particular & McIntosh gear)...YowZeeeee!!! He's getting me a price on a Mac MC402 amp. This should be interesting. I have an '02 Ford Windstar & really don't want to spend a fortune. Approx. 5-7 hundred for a system. Anything good in that price range? I really didn't talk pricing with him yet.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    I would probably go with Memphis MClass speakers with the silk dome tweeter. For a van system that you're not dropping much doungh in, coaxial speakers would probably be fine. But if you can squeeze components into the budget, that'd be really awesome, too.

I love my Memphis amp.

And my component speakers are Boston Acoustic.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    Boston would make better speakers than Memphis but not by much. Neither would be my first, or even 5th choice for speakers. However, I do like Boston's Pro series but theyre $500 a set...if they still even make them. Memphis does make very solid amps tho. Id have no problem running them.

Try to find some MB Quart, Focal, Diamond Audio or JL Audio dealer and give them a listen. They would be head and shoulders above either of those.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Neither would be my first, or even 5th choice for speakers...Try to find some MB Quart, Focal, Diamond Audio or JL Audio dealer and give them a listen. They would be head and shoulders above either of those.
    I agree 100%.

Though I'm not sure I'd put BA speakers over Memphis speakers. Though I'm not sure I wouldn't, either.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    Dude, guys! What about Polk Audio?

pearsall001, you know I live right around the corner from you. All you gotta do is drop me a line. I helped Antny wit his stereo, I can help you with yours. Besides, Fords are easy to do installs in. But if all you have to spend is 500-700 bones, stop looking at Boston and Memphis. They are over-priced IMO and you won't be able to get out of the entry level lines with gear from either of those companies.

You can pick up some Polk Audio MOMO Carbon series speakers for a good price, a single 4 channel amp and a new head unit and you probably won't need a sub for your tastes. Besides, most of the MOMO speakers have external crossovers and your Ford probably uses 5x7/6x8" speakers or 6.5" speakers. I'll send you a PM and give you a phone number. We'll talk.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!