Off axis response for Polk Momo 6.5" Splits

najahaja
najahaja Posts: 32
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Heya,

i was reading an article of Gary Biggs in the new CA&E where he says how he mounted his JBL splits facing 90° to his doors as they have a 30° off axis response.
Now, I know he knows what he is talking about, being a 7 time world champion on the SQ circuit, so was wondering if anyone knew the off-axis response of the Polk Momo's?

I checked the manual and the specs, but cannot see anything regarding this.

I am not sure if they do not have one (ie, face the speakers towards the listener) or if they have just omitted it from the specs.

thanks in advance
Bryan
Post edited by najahaja on

Comments

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    najahaja wrote: »
    Heya,

i was reading an article of Gary Biggs in the new CA&E where he says how he mounted his JBL splits facing 90° to his doors as they have a 30° off axis response.
    Now, I know he knows what he is talking about, being a 7 time world champion on the SQ circuit, so was wondering if anyone knew the off-axis response of the Polk Momo's?

I checked the manual and the specs, but cannot see anything regarding this.

I am not sure if they do not have one (ie, face the speakers towards the listener) or if they have just omitted it from the specs.

thanks in advance
    Bryan

Send POLK AUDIO support a email and they will send you the information you need to help make your decision. I decided to angle my SR5250's in a bit instead of the flat mounting. If you are using the SR6500's they come with a coxial angle mounting post that the 5250's do not have. This will put your tweeter more on axis.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    I cant speak for the Momos but I can assure you the SR5250's will work just fine 45 degrees off axis. I broke out my trusty SPL meter and test tone CD and measured the left mid. It played up to 5 KHz before it rolled off 3db.

The tweeters however are a lot more directional. They work better on axis.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited October 2007
    tried it, and the tweeters sound pretty good, not as intense a treble sound as before. think i'll keep it like this.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    thanks, guys, only saw this now.

I am going to try the tweeter on axis, and the mid about 15° off-axis, and see how that works. Will let you know as a matter of interest.
  • bowbender7
    bowbender7 Posts: 11
    edited October 2007
    Off axis is a good way to tame a bright tweeter - but a good on-axis tweeter is hard to beat sometimes.