HK FL8385 Refurb Issues

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm about to send back my fourth HK FL8385 CDP for another issue:mad:
Three of them I've had for one day and had an issue and one actually made it a month before going to hell. I always get the standard " It must have gotten damaged in shipping" crud "because we went through it with a fine toothed comb before it left" email back.

I had read good and bad before buying this piece but I didn't think I'd have this much fun getting a good one. My refurb receiver has been excellent since I had a bad channel issue with the first one.

Anyone else have this many problems? How did you get it handled? Whatever happened to that great HK service I've heard about?
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2007
    I've only purchased NIB items, but my HK 635 and HK 3480 have been the epitome of reliable since purchase. Not even a hiccup thusfar.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited October 2007
    Update:

I emailed customer service and he agreed with me that it was ridiculous. So, instead of sending me another one they're gonna send me a DVD 47-Z.
    I figured I'd give it a try and it has SACD,too. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Oppo971 I've got.

The Oppo doesn't have the SACD so I'm kinda excited to try that out.:cool:
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited October 2007
    I love H/K receivers, however I have heard their CD players have many problems. Good to hear HK is taking care of you with the DVD upgrade.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    I'm into my 3rd year of life with my refurb AVR7200 with no issues at all. I wouldn't own an HK CDP due to years of reliability issues in that line. They sound nice when they work, but I've heard too many nightmares.

I have had zero problems with my Pioneer Elite DV-45A and Marantz SA8260 both bought second hand.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable