Mark Cuban wants to buy the Cubs....

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
They're up for sale, and he's thrown his hat in the ring. If anyone who wanted to buy that team and could, it would be him.

Just curious how the people in Texas/Chicago would feel about it. Does it bother anyone that a guy could potentially own teams in 2 different cities, despite being in different sports? Or is it really no different than a guy from Californa owning the Brewers?

I think it would seem weird having a guy competing against the Bulls in basketball and then competing against the Astros and Rangers in baseball. Especially since Houston is actually in the same division as the Cubs. I understand there are interstate rivalries with the Mavricks, Spurs, and Rockets, but still....

Just curious, but I have a hard time seeing a loud mouthed hot head like Cuban at Cubs games.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    This is kind of old news. And he's already attended a game or two -- sitting in the bleachers, no less. Rumor has it he has a snowball's chance, however.

That being said.. I think it might be just what the doctor ordered for the hapless Cubbies.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    It's worth noting that the people in charge of club ownership have already said they would never let him buy the team.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    That's what I was kind of alluding to.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    Not according to the news TODAY.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the people in charge of club ownership have already said they would never let him buy the team.

Well, that's a crock of ****. Even the ultra rich are inclined to keep earning money if the offer is right. He's a billionaire, most people aren't.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    I love how "they" wouldn't sell to a guy who would become the biggest fan of the team and work to make the team more marketable to the average fan and able to bring in and effectively woo any big free agent. The best thing to ever happen to the Mavericks was him buying the team. I'd imagine the same thing for the Cubs. Hell, I wish he'd buy the Broncos so at least we'd see some sign of life from the organization.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I love how "they" wouldn't sell to a guy who would become the biggest fan of the team and work to make the team more marketable to the average fan and able to bring in and effectively woo any big free agent. The best thing to ever happen to the Mavericks was him buying the team. I'd imagine the same thing for the Cubs. Hell, I wish he'd buy the Broncos so at least we'd see some sign of life from the organization.

I do tend to agree. I don't like him that much, but he would probably make that organization even bigger of a cash cow than it already is.

I didn't mean to say they didn't say they'd never sell to him, I just know that anyone rich enough to own the Cubs isn't likely a complete frickin' dumbass -- if he ponies up enough scratch anyone with a brain in their head will cave in and sell.

Anyhow, this is a headline on ESPN right now because it's nearing the point where things will be official.
    ESPN wrote:
    "Cuban said he hasn't made a final decision on whether to bid for the team. But once Tribune provides full details about the assets for sale, presumably including Wrigley, he expects to be in."

If he gets in, it's his for the taking aside from some large private equity groups, which could do it, but I doubt it. The only thing holding him back would be the amount he would be willing to pay. There's nobody out there who will outbid him, however, which makes his chances the best.
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Well, that's a crock of ****. Even the ultra rich are inclined to keep earning money if the offer is right. He's a billionaire, most people aren't.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, it's just what I heard.

The guys' obviously really smart - he made all his money legitimately in the computer business. And he's brought the Maverics a hell of a long way from where they were when he bought them. Not that the Cubs really need more publicity, but they obviously need some kind of change.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited October 2007
    It's all posturing to get the most out of the sale. Playing one against the other to try and drive up the price.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger, it's just what I heard.

The guys' obviously really smart - he made all his money legitimately in the computer business. And he's brought the Maverics a hell of a long way from where they were when he bought them. Not that the Cubs really need more publicity, but they obviously need some kind of change.

I wasn't! :) I was just saying the notion someone would never sell a company to someone really is a pantload, regardless of what they said. Money talks, and everyone has their price where taking a stand loses to gobs of cash. :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Not according to the news TODAY.

Simmer down Demi:p
    I'm just saying this rumor has been making the rounds on sports radio for nearly a month. Just because it's just now landing on the AP wire, doesn't mean it wasn't being talked about.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2007
    Cuban's interest has been around for a couple years, but it's a bigger story today because the season is over for the Cubs and "they" are expected to start getting on the fast track with the actual sale.

Well, okay, scrap that --you heard about it first. Christ, it's like I am claiming to have discovered The Beatles or something. :o
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    Baseball is such an old man's club, that's what it really comes down to. None of the old fogeys in charge want someone young or new money invading in their sport. I agree it is ridiculous; Cuban brings so many intangibles with him. Like him or not, he could certainly spice up a lot of baseball, in the same way someone like Guillen did; having someone not afraid to speak their mind in a position of power is always entertaining.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited October 2007
    Mark Cuban's personality would be a fun match for the Cubs. He obviously has a passion for the team, and the club on the rise after a fine season, it will make for some good years.

My apologies for the temporary sidetrack of the thread with my comments below.
    jdhiggs:
    As a life-long Broncos fan the last thing we need is a new owner. Bowlen has proven time and time again that he is willing to put his money into the team. The Broncos problem is that the defensive players haven't bought into Bate's defensive scheme, especially the run. There seems to be an absense of team mentality along the line. Plus, the two-gap system requires smart, unselfish tackles, I question if those are the types of players the Broncos have at that position. I believe they need to draft 2 huge defensive tackles, that will give Moss and Dumerville the opportunity to attack from the ends. They also need to find a true middle linebacker, move Williams back to the strong-side for now, with plans to switch him to weakside next year. That means letting Ian Gold go, but with 10 years on him and being undersized, the punishment he has taken has worn down his speed. In the secondary another young safety is needed.

On the offense, find more linemen. I wouldn't be surprised if Nalen hangs it up now that he is gone for the season. Hamilton may never play again with his concussion problem. There will be money to spend since I believe Shanahan will cut Henry loose aftter his suspension. Personally, I like the tandem of Selvin Young and Mike Bell in the backfield. bell ended up in Shanahan's doghouse for pouting when Henry arrived. I like his sledgehammer running style, he always falls forward.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    You can't have discoverd the Beatles first. Everyone knows I did:D
    Good point, though.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    I really don't care who owns what team. The ticket prices aren't going down any time soon.
    As long as Saudi Arabia doesn't buy the Cowboys and try to cover up the cheerleaders.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    I sort of hope he buys the team. Well, I'd be really happy if he bought the Mariners. Cuban and Pinellia would make a lovely couple.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited October 2007
    I've never heard of this guy... I am so behind on current events. :p