Quieting a Dehumidifier?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I purchased another dehumidifier a couple of years ago. At first, it was whisper quiet. Now the damn thing sounds like a blackhawk helicopter. Same thing happened to the last one I had. Even though the dehumidifier is in the basement, I can hear it on the main level. Are there any tweaks to temper the sound?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Turn it off... The sound will stop.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Turn it off... The sound will stop.

Damn I saw the title of this thread and thought "Im gonna be a smart **** and tell him to turn it off"

Looks like someone beat me to it!

Sometimes I throw a blanket over mine......hasn't really affected it much since it can still suck and blow air through the blanket....
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Ok now on a serious note. I think fan / blowers that are designed as a fan cage can get dirty and become out of balance. I would disassemble unit and clean anything that moved and see... Other then that the fan / blower bearings get loose and cause the blower to vibrate causing noise.

Sorry to say they design the thing to live for X hours, so you need to buy another one. It's a design factor to keep them in business.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Ok now on a serious note. I think fan / blowers that are designed as a fan cage can get dirty and become out of balance. I would disassemble unit and clean anything that moved and see... Other then that the fan / blower bearings get loose and cause the blower to vibrate causing noise.

Sorry to say they design the thing to live for X hours, so you need to buy another one. It's a design factor to keep them in business.

Good idea about cleaning it. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd hate to replace it 'cause it works great. A Sears Kenmore unit.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    You could always get yourself a set of those ear protectors you wear at the shooting range...then you wouldnt have to listen to it.