RTA12 Identification

Options
Bad Dog
Bad Dog Posts: 13
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Does anyone have an idea as to which model (a, b, c) my RTA 12's are? Most of the RTA's I see use a fuse whereas mine has a polyswitch. The PCB has RTA 12 printed on it along with "ISOPHASE CROSSOVER". I'll try to upload some pics.
Post edited by Bad Dog on

Comments

• geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited October 2007
    Options
    What tweeter is on it? Are the serial number tags on back by the speakere posts?? Might be 12Cs keith
  • Bad Dog
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I replaced the tweeters with the new ones from Polk. On the left of the posts it says SERIAL, and on the right there is a flat place where I assume the serial number was placed with a sticker. However, there are small plates on the rear, upper right corners with serial numbers R12 23424 AND L12 23456. There is a sticker on the left speaker, "LEFT CHANNEL". The one on the right side fell off.

Here's two more photo's. I took a picture of the serial number plate but the numbers aren't visable.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I would bet they are 12Cs
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I've included some pics of mine, which are a funky RTA12 B/C hybrid. The back of my speaker cabinets say RTA12C & the PCB says RTA12B.

& You'll see that the PCB (am I using the right term?) on mine looks exactly like yours, which suggests that you've either got 12B's or C's, or are pivilieged like me to have a funky hybrid!

If yours have the built in speaker stands of about 4-5 inches of wood at the base, you can eliminate the 12A.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Bad Dog
    edited October 2007
    Options
    BottomFeeder, Do your serial numbers start with L & R? Your speakers definately look my mine. I don't see an A, B, or C anywhere on my speakers. The PCB has a little white space, just like yours, right after the RTA12 but there's no letter in it. Either it wore off or there was never one on there.
  • Bad Dog
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I received a reply today from Polk concerning the polyswitch & the RTA 12c.
    Here is some of what I was told:

We stopped using the Fuses when we Switched from the Peerless Tweeters
    to our SL1000 and SL2000 that are available at $60.00 each for the
    SL2000.

We actually had 2 different RTA12C's.
    The First had the SL1000 Tweeter with a Metallic Faceplate and the 2nd
    had the SL2000 with the Black Plastic Faceplate.
    Also on the Back of the Speaker where the Serial number is should have
    the RTA 12C next to the Serial Number.
    The Tweeter fit into a Frame on the Top of the Speaker.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Bad Dog wrote: »
    BottomFeeder, Do your serial numbers start with L & R? Your speakers definately look my mine. I don't see an A, B, or C anywhere on my speakers. The PCB has a little white space, just like yours, right after the RTA12 but there's no letter in it. Either it wore off or there was never one on there.

Yeah, I've included a pic of where mine are identified as RTA12'Cs (R12C & then the rest of the serial number).

& OOPS! The hybrid versions that I was talking about were a minty pair that I almost bought this summer. They said RTA12C right where mine do, but RTA12B on the PCB. As with yours, my PCB just says RTA12 but w/no letter following.
  • Bad Dog
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Is that the only place on the speaker with a serial number? The stickers in that location on my speakers are missing, but I have tags in the upper right corners.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yeah, that's the only place on mine w/serial numbers.