Dress Shoies

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been looking around at dress shoes. Is Allen Edmonds going to be my best option? I want to get a good pair of shoes, but am not crazy about paying $300.

Would something like Johnston & Murphy even compare to the AE stuff? Is there another options I should be looking at?

Any general tips in buying a pair of dress shoes? The most important factor is comfort for me. I have some Florsheim and some Kenneth Cole, among others, and they look nice, but I'm tired of my feet always hurting.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    I have a few pairs of Allen Edmunds and really like them. As long as you keep the uppers in good shape, you can send them to the factory in Wisconsin and they'll do a resole for something like $100..........

I have a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes also and they are VERY comfortable. It all depends on the style i guess...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Chuck Taylors baby, that's how I roll.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited October 2007
    Well, with the holiday season approaching, I might recommend this offering; it offers style, fashion, and one can only imagine the comfort of these shoes cradling your size 12's:

shoes makipad slippers.jpg
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited October 2007
    ....and if, somehow, that pair didn't fill the bill, I'd recommend Zappos for good deals.

Keep an eye on their site, and you can not infrequently find some pretty awesome deals.
    Free shipping (both ways, if you decide to return the shoes within one year).

Here's a link for today's "Men's Sale: Men's Dress Shoes" on Zappos:

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/46875/sn/1/page/1.html

Here's the link for all the brands they carry:

http://www.zappos.com/n/bl
    Sal Palooza
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    I'm on my feet a lot (home theater sales) so I thought I'd go for a nice pair of shoes a few months ago. Got a $300 pair of Allen-Edmunds and they were miserable. Not comfortable at all and they didn't hold up for ****. 2 months and I couldn't take em anymore. Got pair of $90 Florsheims and they are infinitely better. Go figure.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    Bobo's are always a safe bet. The Sperry version would be considered dressy with me, they have that blue stripe around the upper.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited October 2007
    For nice shoes, I've got a couple pairs of Kenneth Coles. One pair is extremely comfortable, while the other pair is exactly the opposite. I've never owned Allen Edmonds.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    I may give the Johnston & Murphy a try. I'd love to give the Allen Edmonds a try, but right now's not the time for me to spend $300 on a pair of shoes...

Does the country of manufactoring make a difference, should I avoid the ones made in China, or does it matter?
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited October 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I may give the Johnston & Murphy a try.
    I wear Johnston & Murphy's myself. I have four pairs of J&M's that look brand new despite them being over eight years old. I rotate them (never wearing two days in a row) and dry them overnight after every wearing with a Peet shoe dryer, it's the best thing to make your shoes last a very long time.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2007
    [QUOTE=brettw22;708055
    I have a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes also and they are VERY comfortable. It all depends on the style i guess...........[/QUOTE]

I'm with Brett on this choice. I have 3 pairs of KC NY dress boots ( not shoes) and I like them very much. One of them I have had for 6 yrs, bought them for my wedding Tux and they still look brand new. My newest pair was purchased about 2 months ago, the are in the Silver tech. line. Which coe with a very comfortable rubber sole. Now they are not cheap mine range from 200$ for a pair to 450$.

If you want them to last longer you need more than one pair as they need to breath in between wears. SO I alternate. A good polish every month not only keeps them looking new but protects them. I always get people saying, those new? Nope just polished. I don't wear them in the winter to and from work.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Kenneth Cole and Steve Madden for me
  • TKOTED
    TKOTED Posts: 29
    edited October 2007
    I would definitely look into ECCO shoes. VERY comfortable.
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited October 2007
    I have owned Johnston and Murphy, Kennth Cole and Florsheims (several models of each). I am now stuck on the Florsheims. The Imperial line - Kenmoore or Carleton. They fit my feet very well and are very comfortable (for me). Unfortunatley, they no longer make my favorite shoe, which was an imperial/comfortech from about 12 years ago. I resoled them 7 times, but the uppers are just not as nice as they need to be anymore.

With the Florsheims, I find they need a good 6 months to break in properly, and I do suggest rotating them on a daily basis. $200 or $300 may seem like a lot, but when you wear them every 3 days for 8 years or more, they don't seem quite so expensive.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2007
    I grabbed a pair of Johnston and Murphy, turns out I've been wearing the wrong size shoe for years now. I went to the J&M store, and the guy took about and hour and a half with me to help size and find the right shoe. he also told me the same thing about drying them in between wears and keeping them polished.

I ended up with a more casual shoe that I had in mind, but DAMN they're comfortable. I'm going to head back tonight I think to pick a more dressy pair though, plus that'll give me something to alternate shoes with.