Computer Info transfer

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
This may seem like a silly question to some of you smart computer types but here goes..

I want to transfer all my music and pictures and stuff over to a different computer but still leave them on the original? Can I do that? If so, how would I go about it?
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited October 2007
    Connect one computer to another via USB or LAN line. Your computers will automaticly read the new computer as a new drive. Double click the new drive in My Computer and you will enter your other computer. Drag and drop.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2007
    Might be easier to just get a USB removable external hard drive and copy the information that way. You'll have a backup you can keep on the drive, and you won't have to worry about networking your machines. Connecting computers via a LAN line isn't as easy as connecting a couple of wires, but a removable drive is.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    2 gig USB Thumb drive = $25 if you look hard enough. Then when you get your new box with vista, plug it in the back and use readyboost on it to imporve Vista perf. Well worth the $25.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    This may seem like a silly question to some of you smart computer types but here goes..

I want to transfer all my music and pictures and stuff over to a different computer but still leave them on the original? Can I do that? If so, how would I go about it?

Well, it might not be quite as easy as Jake said. Computer to computer connections aren't that easy unless you have a network switch or router. Routers are the easiest and its what you need anyway if you want the two computers to share an internet connection.

If you already have them networked, great, but somewhere in the process you have to set up a windows network through the windows network wizard. Do this on both computers and make sure you name the network the same on both. This will allow you to see the other computer in the file browser.

After that is done (may require some rebooting on each), then just set up a blank folder in the new computer, and specify it as a shared folder in properties (you may have to jump through a few hoops to get this to work, but it should be pretty easy to configure)

Then go to the original computer, use My Computer or Windows Explorer to find the folders/files that you want to transfer. Then simply copy and paste into the new folder on the new computer. I would do it in chunks, one large folder at a time. My pictures, my documents, my songs, etc.

Good luck

Edit: If you are talking about less than a couple GB total, then the USB Flash method described above is probably easier. In my case, I've got over 8 GB of photos on my computer, and 12 GB of songs. If you use the network copy/paste, you can just walk away and forget about it.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    yeah those guys are right...at least 2 gig thumb drive is easiest.

I always do things the hard way..

But when you connect the 2 compuers together, a wizard will guide you to set up networking. Then once set up...youll never have to set it up again. If anything should happen where one computer crashes or problems occur, you can always hook the 2 back up and everything will already be set for you.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited October 2007
    If you are going to have two computers you most likely have a network to support them as well. I still recommend getting a USB drive that can be a backup.

Download SyncToy (free). I have several computers; laptop at work, desktop at work, and a desktop at home. I use SyncToy with an external HD to keep up with changes in files, this way I don't accidentally lose any work I have done by overwriting it with older file.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    yeah those guys are right...at least 2 gig thumb drive is easiest.

I always do things the hard way..

But when you connect the 2 compuers together, a wizard will guide you to set up networking. Then once set up...youll never have to set it up again. If anything should happen where one computer crashes or problems occur, you can always hook the 2 back up and everything will already be set for you.

hahha, depends on the size of the data

I have about 600 gigs worth of media data now so I would not want to use that 2 gig thumb drive.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Silverti wrote: »

I have about 600 gigs worth of media data now so I would not want to use that 2 gig thumb drive.

Exactly...all depends on the amount of data needed to transfer...I back up data for customers all of the time ( Even have to save precious pictures and movies for them AFTER they have trashed their OS's ) . Small amount of data ( 4GB or less ) thumb drive perfect....above that size a usb 2.0 external hard drive is really handy . If I want an extremely fast transfer for huge data I just throw the drive into a removable caddy and throw it into one of my servers .
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited October 2007
    turn off the source pc.. take the drive out.. add is as slave to second.. copy all your crap then return it back to the first pc
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    External hard drive or go with Bruss's suggestion, fastest way to do it.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    Thanks guys. It would be all my music files and my pictures. there is a lot but I have no idea how much that equals in megabytes, kilobytes , mosquito bites or whatever.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• jakelm
    edited October 2007
    Silverti wrote: »

600 GIGS!!!! WOW..

Computer to computer my friend....
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• bruss
    edited October 2007
    Thanks guys. It would be all my music files and my pictures. there is a lot but I have no idea how much that equals in megabytes, kilobytes , mosquito bites or whatever.:D

Just right click the folder they are in and it will tell you.. If all your stuff is in mydocs for example ricght click > properties > it will display something like this

4.05 GB (4,359,438,215 bytes)

You could also get one of these empty enclosures pretty cheap take your drive out and put it in there.After that you just plug the enclosures USB into your pc. You would just need to know if it is SATA or IDE before you bought it.. I have seen IDE enclodures for about 10 bones

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000090092+1053807123+4093&name=%2410+-+%2425

nothing fancy... 20 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817105011
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    bruss wrote: »
    Just right click the folder they are in and it will tell you.. If all your stuff is in mydocs for example ricght click > properties > it will display something like this

4.05 GB (4,359,438,215 bytes)

You could also get one of these empty enclosures pretty cheap take your drive out and put it in there.After that you just plug the enclosures USB into your pc. You would just need to know if it is SATA or IDE before you bought it.. I have seen IDE enclodures for about 10 bones

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000090092+1053807123+4093&name=%2410+-+%2425

nothing fancy... 20 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817105011

Ok. It says 29.5 GB
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• bruss
    edited October 2007
    Ok. It says 29.5 GB

do both of these computers connect to the internet through your home network?

can you see them in network neighborhood?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, no USB flash drive for that much information. The most straight-forward way would probably be pulling the drive out of the computer and putting it in an external enclosure, but that does require opening up the computer and removing the drive.

Short of that, sounds like the best way would be to connect the two computers via USB or network cable.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Short of that, sounds like the best way would be to connect the two computers via USB or network cable.

I think thats what I said.....ON THE FIRST REPLY POST!!!:p:p:p

...but nooo...you guys and your wimpy thumb drives.....:eek: :eek: :D:D
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Why do these male to male cables have one small connector? Wouldn't 2 large connectors be what was needed?
    Scroll down, they have cable with large males on both ends. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jakelm
    edited October 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Why do these male to male cables have one small connector? Wouldn't 2 large connectors be what was needed?

Some male cables are small some are large.. . Its a fact of life my friend.

....P.S. I use the larger ones.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000