Caliper Question

auto_pilot
auto_pilot Posts: 256
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Installing brake calipers on a car requires certain torque ratings for the bolts...Why does the bolt back out when it is not torqued properly? And can over torquing the bolt cause it to back out as well?
Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
Sub Outlaw LFM2
Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
Post edited by auto_pilot on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2007
    Not torqued enough it can back out. Torqued too much can either strip the bolt, cause it to break, or make it near impossible to remove the next time you have to do an service on the brakes. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions. Brake jobs are a beast.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2007
    I see Edbert beat me to this but since I already had it typed, I'm gonna post it anway. He wasn't as witty as I am. ;)

Hmm..

I haven't partied with Nelson Pass or Emilio Bombassei, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I WILL take a stab at your question.

The brakes are obviously a critical system on the car: A caliper coming loose could a disaster. The engineers who design these things, take into account the forces that will be acting on the brake components, the materials of construction, etc., and come up with torque specifications for the fasteners.

A couple (of many) things that might make the bolts want to back out if they weren't properly torqued are vibration and thermal cycling.

I don't think that over-torquing the bolts would cause them to back out-- It would more likely cause some sort of component damage (stripped threads, stretched bolts, etc.). Torque wrenches are easy to use, and probably aren't used enough by most "mechanics". An impact wrench is NOT a torque wrench.

Jason