How Bout Those Rockies?

bobman1235
bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm not a fan of the Colorado Rockies by any stretch, but you have to admire that win last night, as well as the 3 weeks of near perfect baseball leading up to it. Just an amazing stretch capped off by an amazing game. If there's any Rockies fans around here (I doubt you're awake yet) you must be pumped.
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
Post edited by bobman1235 on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    If I followed baseball, they'd be my team. I always root for them but they lost a lot of charactor when the Blake Street Bombers were broken up and the humidor balls came into play. Forunately they look like a real baseball team now. 15-1 to close the season, not bad...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2007
    great game...although I don't understand why Holliday wouldn't just run over the catcher in the last play...He is fricken 6'4" and about 240 and he slides head first there?

oh..and he was out too..:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    krabby5 wrote:
    oh..and he was out too..:D

There really isn't an angle to see if there was any of the hand that went under or maybe caught the edge of the plate. The umpire did have a better angle than either of the camera shots we were shown.

Doesn't matter...Rockies win!

I have been a fan for many years...because of Todd Helton. He is the best baseball player to ever come from my alma maters (both high school and college).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    To see him so stunned and nearly speechless after the game was one of the better moments this year. I can't believe I managed to stay up through it all. Tired as hell right now.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited October 2007
    Gotta love the Rockies. Best ball game I've watched in years, period. Clutch hitting, terrific mid-late inning pitching, terrific fielding, etc.

Unless a photographer comes up with a photo, no one will ever know. Holliday's hand/arm gets pushed back, but so does the Padres catcher's leg.

Having sat in the left field bleachers I can tell you that Atkins not-called homerun did clear the yellow padding. The richocet was too hard, what it hit was a metal railing just behind the padding. That was a homerun.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    The catcher dropped the ball, so he wasn't "out." He may have not been safe yet - I'm not sure he tagged the plate - but the catcher never grabbed the ball and tagged him, so he's not out. So I guess the game is still going? :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    That's funny. I thought the same thing after seeing the catcher not tag him out.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    Padres manager Bud Black: "It looked to me like he did get it." referring to Holliday taging the plate.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2007
    What are these Rockies of which you speak?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    As a fan of sports in general, you have to be pretty excited for them.

As a huge baseball fan, they are the team I am rooting for now.

I never thought I'd see the day the Rockies made it to the playoffs. Here's to them taking it all the way.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    I can't help but still think of them as an expansion team. Still think that way about the likes of the Orlando Magic. I normally root really, REALLY hard against that sort of team. Don't know why. Maybe it had something to do with Florida buying their two world series?

I may make an exception in this case. You have to pick someone and they may just fit the bill. But then there are always the Cubbies...
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    Rockies win 20 of their last 21 games. Lead the NLC 3-0. Unless something VERY unusual happens (only one team has ever overcome a 0-3 start to win a seven game series - Boston 04 vs Yankees) it looks like Colorado will be in the World Series. Go Rockies!

• bobman1235
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, a World Series game in late October (the series doesn't even start until 24th) in Denver should be... interesting.

Just the shots from last night's game look like it took place in Yellowknife.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    I wonder how sub freezing weather affects the flight of the ball....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    ..... still got that thin air at a mile high.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2007
    It's been a bit crazy out here lately...
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited October 2007
    You never know with the weather in Denver. Remember, they have 300+ days of sunshine a year. Chances are that it will be clear and cold during the series. but then again, Mother Nature does like to advertise snow when the Broncos play on Monday night.

Rocktober!!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    Giants!!!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    Giants!!!

You think that Bonds fellow will break Aaron's record?

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    The short stop Tulo....whatever has some game.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited October 2007
    I'm on the Rockies' bandwagon. I love an underdog. :D
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited October 2007
    Huge fan of the Rockies, went to opening day to see them in 1994. Have caught multiple games at Coors Field (most underrated stadium in America). Living in Denver was great during the Blake Street Bomber years.

Management really screwed up the team, and basically fielded a AAA club from 2001 to 2005. Some people don't realize that the Rocks were in first place in the NL west on the fourth of July last year.

So it's not like the team was a complete surprise to make it to the playoffs this year. What was surprising is how they did it. But the addition of Tulo from AA ball was what made them the best defensive team in MLB history. That guy can flat out play.

Plus their pitching is severely underrated, although I doubt that now with the sweeps of AZ and Philly. Any ways it has been a great month for being a Rockie fan, and really a great month for the casual fan that likes to watch playoff baseball.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png