Does this thing work or is it just a gimmick?

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
So - does this thing really work?

www.tornadofuelsaver.com

According to the website it claims their product will increase your gas mileage of up to 15%.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2007
    Save your money for better cables.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    Think of it as the Bose of the automotive aftermarket.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    I think they make monster cables to :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    The infomercial is convincing, for sure.

Ask about a money back guarantee, and buyer beware.

You CAN however buy a K&N or Fram AIRHOG airfilter for around that much, and get PROVEN results. You are also halfway to a simple 40 or 50 series Flowmaster, with PROVEN results also.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Junk in design for sure....just another obstruction to the airflow...like its gonna keep that swirling flow though the throttle body/intake runners/intake valves/etc. And with the fuel being injected so far downstream from it ( Modern cars ) ....lets just say the design is lacking at best.

NOW, another problem...I actually held one in my hand and I couldnt believe the poor contruction of the unit itself...the spot welds holding the thing together were BAD...extremely flimsy for something in the intake path with its blades held at an angle to the airflow...one of those blades lets go and guess what happens :)

As mentioned by Russman...go with the methods that work...they are also fairly inexpensive and easy to install as well...
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    Popular Mechanics Mag. tested it...decreased peak HP by 10% and while at the same time provided no decrease in fuel consumption. Now there's a bargain. Same gas consumption...less power...for only $49.99.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1802932.html?page=2

I have actually seen a couple of tests of this product on automotive programs that say the same thing. The object of the induction system is to get air into the chambers as smoothly as possible. The air mixing of the vortex type devices do nothing to improve power and gas mileage and in some instances (like the Popular Mechanics test) decrease performance.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    If they worked so well, it would have been included from the factory.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Popular Mechanics Mag. tested it...decreased peak HP by 10% and while at the same time provided no decrease in fuel consumption. Now there's a bargain. Same gas consumption...less power...for only $49.99.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1802932.html?page=2

I have actually seen a couple of tests of this product on automotive programs that say the same thing. The object of the induction system is to get air into the chambers as smoothly as possible. The air mixing of the vortex type devices do nothing to improve power and gas mileage and in some instances (like the Popular Mechanics test) decrease performance.

So it decreases performance and doesn't improve gas mileage? HA! What a rip-off!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    The infomercial is convincing, for sure.

Ask about a money back guarantee, and buyer beware.

You CAN however buy a K&N or Fram AIRHOG airfilter for around that much, and get PROVEN results. You are also halfway to a simple 40 or 50 series Flowmaster, with PROVEN results also.....

Cheers,
    Russ

Just looked at the K&N website. It seems that some skills are necessary to install their intake though. Do you just remove the factory air box and clamp the K&N onto the hose? Does anything needed to be modified for the K&N to fit?

Sorry for the stupid question but I don't know much about cars.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1