Who wants $1million?

bobman1235
bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
James Randi is offering 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that $7250 cables are better than Monster Cables. (link found via Gizmodo)

Have fun! :)

(Bah, unc2701 and I posted this at the same time)
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
Post edited by bobman1235 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    This should be interesting. I am wondering who will judge the outcome.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    Great, another cable thread:

The people who fail will just trot out the standard excuses:

"It wasn't on my system"
    "It wasn't my material"
    "The switching mechanism veiled the difference"
    "There wasn't enough time to listen to them"
    "The system wasn't high end enough"
    "It wasn't at my house"
    "If I don't run the test myself then the test is flawed"

Blah, blah, blah...

Especially funny when most claim night and day differences and that Monster Cable is pure crap. Assuming that was so, this would be a very easy million for anyone to make. Heck, if the guy made it a binding contract, you could fly him to your house first class for the test and come out way ahead ($$$) and be out of excuses all in one shot!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2007
    I didn't click on the link, but let me ask a few questions....

Prove how? I wonder how many caveats are involved here. Why is it $7,000 cables and Monster Cables? Why not bottom of the barrell Radio Shack cables VS. Monster Cables or $7,000 cables? Is there a point where the return is negligible to the cost? Definitely...

At my company we incoorperate electrical schemes into some of our products and we used higher quality wire because our engineers (and myself) believe in them over lower grade wires.

There's no doubt from an electrical engineering standpoint that cables make a difference in carrying a current. How that translates audibly seems to be the argument, and they do make a difference to my ears.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    ... and they do make a difference to my ears.

And that's all the matters. Next.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2007
    Well, the point is how does one prove that? There isn't an electrical engineer worth his/her salt that would tell you that most higher priced cables (higher priced meaning they usually use better metals/shielding) don't make a difference in carrying a current.

Proving the electrical benefit is easier than proving whether or not Joe Blow can hear a difference.

That said I wouldn't spend 7K on friggin' cables. I am willing to spend a few hundreds on them, though.

If you can use lamp cord to carry the audio signal to your speakers I am happy for you, really.....

Most sane people don't offer up this kind of scratch unless they are pretty sure it's impossible to prove on paper or have outs.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    Hell, he should throw a million bucks out to someone who can prove that the $90 Monster cable is better then the $8 monoprice cable :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing