Apparently I fund terrorism and organized crime

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Is it me or the witch hunt is getting out of hand?
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, most movies make 25-100 million each in the US alone, then tens of millions overseas and another several million in rentals. Im sure theyre all just one check away from homelessness.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2007
    I used to work for the Brand Protection Department of Abercrombie & Fitch. We often worked with film and entertainment companies to prevent piracy and trademark infringement. You would not believe how deep this stuff goes. I went to Japan and assisted local authorities in taking down a Yakuza operation selling counterfeit A&F. They were using the proceeds to buy and sellf drugs and small arms, both illegal in Japan.

Organized crime is responsible for most counterfeiting as they are capable of large and sophisticated operations. I've seen counterfeit penicillin laced with bleach. I've seen baby clothes that would burst into flames the moment high heat came in contact with the cheap fabric.

In Afghanistan, we assisted U.S. customs in seizing counterfeit A&F, Rolex watches and DVDs purchased by our troops over there! Looking at the chain of production and the money trail, we later had our case seized by the FBI who indicated it was a matter of national security and the people we were tracking were a matter high interest. Essentially, the troops were funding the people trying to kill them.

You may be cynical about this, but just because someone has a lot of money does not mean they shouldn't be able to protect and gain economically from their invention or creation. How upset would you be if you spent years researching and developing some audio gear only to have the technology stolen and resold for pennies on the black market?

Don't get me wrong, the add is sensationalized, but is very true. I could talk for hours about this subject. Some people you can convince some people you can't. Just my two cents.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    Solid, thanks for the post.

It's different hearing what's going on from an individual with personal experience and firsthand knowledge of the subject as opposed to hearing it through a media outlet. Kinda shines a brighter light on the subject. At least for me.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2007
    SS is absolutely right about this....

The knock-off market overseas is HUGE. For example, I can go over to the Haji shop a couple hundred yards from here and buy any movie you could think of for 2 bucks. Knockoff Rolexes and so forth? Dime a dozen.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2007
    I'm sure Polk Audio has a team of lawyers that protect and monitor their copyrights, trademarks and patents. Does anyone know if they have ever discovered counterfeit Polks being sold in the marketplace?
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    SS is absolutely right about this....

The knock-off market overseas is HUGE. For example, I can go over to the Haji shop a couple hundred yards from here and buy any movie you could think of for 2 bucks. Knockoff Rolexes and so forth? Dime a dozen.....

BDT

Yep, and the the funny thing about that is the base commander condones the issue.