What's Been Going On With Me ......

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    go back and read my last post...

I was having a nother dislexic typing episode, so I wasn`t done before you posted .!!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    George Grand of the Jersey Grands.. i'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Peace be with your family.

Enjoy your retirement.. something tells me though.. you're not the type to sit around the house.. enjoy it!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2007
    I'm not going to sit around the house when I can throw my feet up and take a nap.

I will not be getting any more jobs. I am finished.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    If pops taught you about the Dodgers in that timeframe (if it's the one I'm thinking), he taught you about a lot more than baseball. Civil rights, whites and blacks, what makes a man a man, .....etc etc

Sorry about your loss George, one in the ground for your pops tonight.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2007
    Sorry for your loss George.
    Congrats on your 30 years...helluvamilestone!

Let me know if you ever get out this way.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    Sorry to hear about your dad George...may he rest in peace.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2007
    George, sorry to hear about your father.

Every guy's relationship to his old man has it's ups and downs. Fact is, you turned out ok, taught you to hate the Yankees and a few other important things. Somewhere along the line, you learned how to be a man and a good one at that. There ain't a lot left to ask for.

Busting into the listerene bottle this evening....a toast to the Grands and one in the ground.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    edited September 2007
    Russ, you're so right. All of you are, but Russ........ I remember being very small, and sitting in the living room going through my Dodger yearbook/pictures and stuff. "Roy Campanella is a chocolate man, Jackie Robinson is a chocolate man, Pee Wee Reese is a vanilla man......." My dad was watching tv on the couch while I was doing this. He got up, shut off the tv, and we talked about these things called "pigments". Seems these pigments dictated what color your skin would be. It was a good learning day. Thanks Dad.

The night after he passed, I went out back, lit up the outdoor fireplace thing in a BIG way, and drank a bottle of 40 year old Metaxa that I found in his house. It's called Metaxa "Grand Fine" and it was awesome. Never even SEEN a bottle before.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited September 2007
    George, I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I hope that he rests in peace.

We all have had issues of some type with our parents, I sure had issues with my father. I've done my grieving and accepted his life and my relationship with him for what is was. I can't change any of that now. I'm just moving on.

I hope your father will rest in peace, and you will find some inner peace also.

God Bless!
    Carl

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2007
    George, Im sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. My condolences to you and your family.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2007
    George, please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father.

Congrats on the semi-retirement!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited September 2007
    Congrats on retirement, but very sorry to hear about your Dad George.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited September 2007
    My condolences on the passing of your father. I was wondering if you'd had taken the early retirement package or not.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited September 2007
    Sorry for your loss but he left you (and now us) one more noteworthy piece of knowledge..... Metaxa.... good!

http://www.theartofdrink.com/blog/2006/11/metaxa.php

I've never heard of it before either but will add it to the list of must try items.
    Hell, your's was a 40 yr old bottle. Must have been DAMN smooth.
  • George Grand
    edited September 2007
    Dave, couldn't pass up the early retirement. The lump sum bonus was the clincher.

Ted, you can find 7 star Metaxa at decent liquor stores. The 5 star is pretty good too. You don't want to mess with 3 star. A little rough going down. It was my grandfather that introduced me to Metaxa though. My dad had stuff in the house for company. If he had two shots of anything he got totally radioactive. Terrible drinker he was. Metaxa is a cognac by the way.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2007
    "I remember being very small, and sitting in the living room going through my Dodger yearbook/pictures and stuff. "Roy Campanella is a chocolate man, Jackie Robinson is a chocolate man, Pee Wee Reese is a vanilla man......." My dad was watching tv on the couch while I was doing this. He got up, shut off the tv, and we talked about these things called "pigments". Seems these pigments dictated what color your skin would be. It was a good learning day. Thanks Dad."

Ya know...that is one cool f*cking story.
    One in the ground here as well.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited September 2007
    This thread is very touching, and there's not much if anything I can add at this point...

but I do want to add one more thing:

I am glad to hear your Dad taught you to "hate the Yankees".

As a Baltimoron transplanted to the Bahsten area, I'll drink to that!

God's peace, George.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited September 2007
    May peace be with your dad George. I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Please consider my utmost condolences to you and your family.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited September 2007
    I'm sorry to hear about your father passing, and glad to hear you decided to take the retirement. Now you get to take some time and get some things done that you actually want to do.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    George heartfelt condolences from me and mine to you and yours.

Retirement is awesome as long as one is kept busy . . . my wife keeps me on my toes.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    George,

We're so sorry to hear such disheartening news. Our hearts go out to you and your family.

Bob and Geri
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2007
    Just saw this. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.

Jason
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2007
    caught this thread late, very sorry to hear about your dad. My sincerest condolences.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2007
    Very sorry for your loss GG. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Enjoy your retirement - you've earned it. Be good to yourself and your loved ones.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited September 2007
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. But both he and yourself, through all your differences, continue to speak to people with important lessons about life. Thanks for the stories.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2007
    George...
    My prayers and sympathy go out to you and yours. I've spent all of my life trying to make it right with my pops. I understand to the fullest extent traveling that road.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tentoze
    tentoze Posts: 133
    edited September 2007
    Only just now saw this. Everyone has a purpose. Sounds to me like Mr. Grand had a fine one, and I know he did well by it.
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited September 2007
    George, my condolences on the loss of your father. I lost my dad when I was 34 and after years of anger and deep reflection on all matters, I've come full circle in the differences with and loss of both my parents.
    I understand them much better now. They continually faced an insurmountable list of tragedies. Both had extremly hard lives which spilled over into mine, I know now that wasn't thier goal or desire.
    I now love and miss them more than I can put into words.
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited September 2007
    George, my condolences to you and your family. Your father must have been a good man, evident from your values.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2007
    George, everyone that passes on from a great generation is a loss to humanity. Condolences and a heartfelt hug.