2.3tl's

Options
rocket
rocket Posts: 71
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
go figure-just bought 3.1tl's and along comes a set of 2.3. what should i do? are 2.3's a little better, or a whole lot better? LC -an earlier thread tells a little about my system. i also have a good sub, so the 3.1's may be fine. LC
Post edited by rocket on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2007
    Options
    get em both :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ou won't miss much with the 3.1s, if anything enjoy
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I dont believe you should look at it like which is better or worse, but instead look at what will suit you best. What size room? Two channel or HT?

I havent heard the 3.1's personally, but i own a pair of 2.3tl's and a pair of 2B's. That being said i would say they sound very similar, not completey but the difference to me is the SIZE of the sound. Personally I couldnt use the 2.3's in a small enviroment, i use them in my HT which is a decent size living room. The 2B's i use in my office, along side a few other bookshelves of various brands. I would venture a guess that the difference between the 3.1 and 2.3 would also be the size of the sound. I think with a larger room and for HT the 2.3 would suit you. But for a smaller room and either HT or 2channel i would go with the 3.1's.

The 2.3's arent bad for 2ch either, just again the room size. Plus i find myself watching more concerts on dvd than anything and i use it as a 2 channel with a view :D . Remeber also, that these are both big speakers. And they will take up some space, so if you have a tighter enviroment around your TV then the 3.1's would have more give in placement. Sda's in general need some breathing room around them, no toe in either.

So while you have some things to think about, i believe those are the basics. Remember, which ever you choose will sound great, just get the size that fits.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2007
    Options
    When I owned the 3.1TL's (For 15 years)... I was always searching for a nice pair of 2.3TL's. Definitely worth the upgrade if you can swing it.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2007
    Options
    how much is the price difference?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Be different, roll with 3.1's for a while. They have to be at least .8 better.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Heck, if it doesn't destroy you financially, get 'em both and try 'em both. You decide which ones to hang onto.
  • rocket
    rocket Posts: 71
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i think i will get them both- they are each $1k a pair. big ones in the front, little ones in the back. i will also keep a pair of the rti12's for rear ex-es 7.1 use. meanwhile, anybody need a pair of extra rti12's? i live in wash. state, and would deliver for a reasonable price. thanx everyone, for input. i was the first one in wash. to own 1986 sda srs. they were big, and when the 1.2 came along, i could definitely hear a difference. i have never heard any tl's. LC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Hey Bob
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Hey back Jesse. :)

Reenacting season is winding down and for now I'm sitting around with one crushed and broken foot so I thought I'd stop in and see what's up.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    So, what happened to cause your injury? Crushed doesn't sound good.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I lost out to a 350lb piece of steel that found it's way onto me. Ouch!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Options
    rocket wrote: »
    i think i will get them both- they are each $1k a pair. big ones in the front, little ones in the back. i will also keep a pair of the rti12's for rear ex-es 7.1 use. meanwhile, anybody need a pair of extra rti12's? i live in wash. state, and would deliver for a reasonable price. thanx everyone, for input. i was the first one in wash. to own 1986 sda srs. they were big, and when the 1.2 came along, i could definitely hear a difference. i have never heard any tl's. LC

$1K is a bit over the market price for the 3.1tL's; in other words, if you decide to sell them you'll probably not get what you paid for them. Try to negotiate that down to $800 MAX id they are in excellent condition.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Ouch, indeed!

I hope you'll recover quickly.

President of Club Polk