David Gilmour: Live at Royal Albert Hall

Options
MerLuv
MerLuv Posts: 10
edited March 2010 in Music & Movies
I just picked up this DVD concert filmed, which was shot over two days at Royal Albert hall and it just rocked. I've played it through a Polk 5.1 system (LSI9/C, FXi5, 404sub) and it was just spectacular. I also pumped it through my Atlantic Tech FS5000 and still, just an awesomely recorded concert. An absolutely MUST have for Pink Floyd fans.

Anyone else see this yet?

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i got mine friday. i've been playing since! very well done. the guy can still play like no one else! great on SDAs;)
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Picked it up the other day and had to go out of town this past weekend. May have to check it out tonight though. Read some early reviews that were positive as well,.... more later.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited September 2007
    Options
    DAGLJAM6 wrote: »
    Picked it up the other day and had to go out of town this past weekend. May have to check it out tonight though. Read some early reviews that were positive as well,.... more later.

when you play echoes (excellent BTW!), make sure the lights in your room are off, if they are'nt already. one of many highlights...if you have live at pompeii, you can watch them sing echoes in 1971. quite a piece of tuneage
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Do you know if this will be released on cd? My multi channel sucks in comparison to my 2 channel.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Uilleann
    Uilleann Posts: 159
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I just picked this up on Blu-ray from David's website. Having worked for years at the local planetarium, doing the laser shows among other things, I've been a big Floyd fan for years.

I love this concert! Very well mastered - at least as far as modern video is able to pick up the subtleties of concert/stage lighting. The sound is wonderful as well. So far, my only regret is that they didn't record the PULSE DVD in a high res / high def format as well. I also picked up the Live in Gdańsk DVD as well - and while the audio is quite good, I found the split screens and split-second shot jumps a bit hard to watch. I haven't made it all the way through that one yet, but as it was Richard Wright's last Floyd-esque performance, I'm sure its a keeper regardless.
    AVR: Denon X3200W
    Mains: Polk TSx440T
    Center: Polk CS10
    Surround: Polk TSi300
    Sub: Polk PSW110
    Video: LG OLED65B6P Panel
    BDP: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Uilleann wrote: »
    I just picked this up on Blu-ray from David's website. Having worked for years at the local planetarium, doing the laser shows among other things, I've been a big Floyd fan for years.

I love this concert! Very well mastered - at least as far as modern video is able to pick up the subtleties of concert/stage lighting. The sound is wonderful as well. So far, my only regret is that they didn't record the PULSE DVD in a high res / high def format as well. I also picked up the Live in Gdańsk DVD as well - and while the audio is quite good, I found the split screens and split-second shot jumps a bit hard to watch. I haven't made it all the way through that one yet, but as it was Richard Wright's last Floyd-esque performance, I'm sure its a keeper regardless.

Live in Gdansk has some incredible performances on it. Especially the full performance of Echoes, which has some of the sickest synth sounds I've ever heard come from Richard Wright. I can definitely see what you mean regarding some of the video angles etc.

I've got the 5-disc collectors edition of Gdansk, with 3 CD's and 2 DVD's. Highly recommended to any Floyd fan.

Live at Royal Albert Hall? Haven't gotten this one yet. I've been damn close to snagging it before, but something else has always ended up coming home instead. I'll have to snag it sometime soon. I've heard great things about it.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I love this show and have over watched it these past few years. That being said, I didnt know there was a BD release.

Has anyone seen both discs? And it is worth getting it on BD since I own it on SD?

I only run 2 channel, so Im not all that concerned with the sound formats as much.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Uilleann
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Live in Gdansk has some incredible performances on it. Especially the full performance of Echoes, which has some of the sickest synth sounds I've ever heard come from Richard Wright. I can definitely see what you mean regarding some of the video angles etc.

I've got the 5-disc collectors edition of Gdansk, with 3 CD's and 2 DVD's. Highly recommended to any Floyd fan.

Live at Royal Albert Hall? Haven't gotten this one yet. I've been damn close to snagging it before, but something else has always ended up coming home instead. I'll have to snag it sometime soon. I've heard great things about it.

Curt,

The RAH performance included Echoes as well - I think that this show along with the Gdańsk performance were part of the same tour, (2006-07??) so I'm not surprised to see a similar set list between the two. It is one amazing piece of song writing to be sure! As much as I love David's solo work, I will always miss what Floyd did...and *could* have done, had Roger and David ever been able to bury the hatchet.

The BD version of the RAH concert includes the following audio tracks (according to Amazon):
    PCM Stereo (48kHz/24bit)
    Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (48kHz/24bit)
    Dolby Digital 5.1 (512 kbps)

The TrueHD 5.1 is very subtle, and just provides that live concert fill you feel in a live hall. If you ever have a chance to catch them in your locale, check out The Australian Pink Floyd Show. They're an amazing cover band, and as close as any of us are likely to come to the Floyd experience live from now on. http://www.aussiefloyd.com/
  • gsxr141
    gsxr141 Posts: 143
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i've had my copy since the day it came out. i watch it so often that i never put it away. it's literally always in my dvd player.
    50" samsung dlp
    receiver... pioneer elite vsx72txv
    front... polk tsi400's
    rear surrounds... polk tsi100's
    center... polk csi3
    subs... psw150..... 2 of them.
    surrounds.....polk owm3's
  • gsxr141
    gsxr141 Posts: 143
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i'm watching it right now. i can't do cardio without some floyd or gilmour. lol
    50" samsung dlp
    receiver... pioneer elite vsx72txv
    front... polk tsi400's
    rear surrounds... polk tsi100's
    center... polk csi3
    subs... psw150..... 2 of them.
    surrounds.....polk owm3's
  • Uilleann
    edited March 2010
    Options
    "A Great Day For Freedom" was pretty moving to see performed on the Gdańsk recording. David says in the video diary that he hadn't played that song since the '94 PULSE tour. Spectacular there in the shipyards celebrating Solidarity - made the neck hairs stand up for me at any rate! Great stuff! Echoes is indeed a great performance as well...probably better musically than the RAH version. I almost was able to get over the strange edits and jumpy shots. ;):D
  • comfortablycurt
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've got the Gdansk DVD too, but I've only ever watched it once. The set I got came with the complete(unedited) show on CD as well. I've listened to that quite a few more times than the DVD.

Just took a run thorugh Echoes/WYWH/Great Day FF/Comfortably Numb on the CD portion last night. Some great stuff there.

Echoes on here is definitely some SDA reference material.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • comfortablycurt
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Live in Gdansk on the 180g vinyl is amazing. I still need to rip this one to CD.

I didn't even know they had it on 180g vinyl. I might have to check that out.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • comfortablycurt
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »

eeeh...my wallet doesn't agree with that price tag very well...lol

Is it basically just the CD portion of the standard Gdansk CD box set? I've got the 5 disc Gdansk CD/DVD set...is there any new material on the vinyl set?
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp