I thought I knew what I had...

Options
hifidigital
hifidigital Posts: 26
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I thought I had the 2.3's, however the back of the cabinet says that they are SDA SRS 2's. The driver array looks to be that of the 2.3. Also, I noticed when I pulled out the tweeters that there are magnets attached to the back of them, and appear to be attached to all of the drivers. Does anyone know what that is for?
Post edited by hifidigital on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    Options
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    So do you have 3 tweeters per speaker? If so, that's the 2.3's if there are SL2000's (silver coil dome) tweeters in them. If they are SL3000's, it would make them the 2.3TL's. It sounds like someone added "bucking magnets" to them to video shield them for being placed close to a CRT TV.

Yes....pics!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • hifidigital
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I'll get some pics tonight when I get home. I'm sure the tweeters said SL2000.

Strange that the cabinet is marked as SDA SRS 2, and not 2.3.
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I'll get some pics tonight when I get home. I'm sure the tweeters said SL2000.

Strange that the cabinet is marked as SDA SRS 2, and not 2.3.
    HEY, when I read your original post, it sounded like Deja Vu.

My right speaker had "out of phase" tweeters too, and drivers were all mixed up!

We GOTTA get to the bottom of all this, you got me biting MY nails :confused:

IS the crossover schematic correct ?

Either F1Nut, H9 or Darqueknight told me that if the tweeters are horizontally oriented with the Polk Audio Logo up, positive is on the right.

That is ASSUMING the face plates are INSTALLED correctly ?

I ain't gonna worry no more, got NEW RDO 194 tweeters on the way.

Phasing a tweeter is no fun.
  • avguytx
    edited September 2007
    Options
    That's just how they are marked. I looked at the 2.3's I have here and it's the same way. Same thing goes with my 1C's...they just say "1" on the back. The owners manual that came with them clarifies the model/version.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Also, I noticed when I pulled out the tweeters that there are magnets attached to the back of them, and appear to be attached to all of the drivers. Does anyone know what that is for?
    Are the magnets you speak of on top of magnets, if not that is part of the speaker, as current travels through the voice coil the speaker moves in and out with the frequency that is being fed to it.
  • hifidigital
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ka7niq wrote: »
    HEY, when I read your original post, it sounded like Deja Vu.

My right speaker had "out of phase" tweeters too, and drivers were all mixed up!

We GOTTA get to the bottom of all this, you got me biting MY nails :confused:

IS the crossover schematic correct ?

I'll print out the 2.3 schematic and see if it's correct. I do recall the the wiring diagram thats posted for the 2.3's isn't the same as mine (the colors are different).
  • hifidigital
    edited September 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    That's just how they are marked. I looked at the 2.3's I have here and it's the same way. Same thing goes with my 1C's...they just say "1" on the back. The owners manual that came with them clarifies the model/version.

ty. Thats what I was hoping, but I have seen pics of other 2.3's that were marked as 2.3.
  • hifidigital
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Are the magnets you speak of on top of magnets, if not that is part of the speaker, as current travels through the voice coil the speaker moves in and out with the frequency that is being fed to it.

The magnets I'm talking about were glued to the back of the speaker, on top of the label on the back. I'll take some pictures tonight.
  • avguytx
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Sounds like someone just added bucking magnets to video shield them. Not uncommon really. I've read some posts here about calling Polk CS to find out about doing just that. Especially when each of those speakers have 9 magnets in each sitting close to a CRT TV! ha.
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The magnets I'm talking about were glued to the back of the speaker, on top of the label on the back. I'll take some pictures tonight.
    MAYBE an attempt at magnetic sheilding ?
    The idea is to use one magnet to cancel the stray mag field of the other.
    Keeps TV Newscasters fron turning Deep Purple
    :rolleyes:
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    Options
    2.3's labeled 2.2 on the rear? As common as it gets. ;)
  • hifidigital
    edited September 2007
    Options
    p1050987er4.th.jpg
    I hate this tweeter (personal opinion).

p1050991uq1.th.jpg
    The magnet on the rear of the drivers.

p1050997ey5.th.jpg
    The 2.3...or is it?

p1050999jl4.th.jpg
    SDA SRS 2!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    Options
    2.3's

The SL2000's have had bucking magnets attached somewhere along the way for video shielding. I would assume the did the midwoofs also? Perhaps at least the inside ones?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Definately 2.3's
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    nice looking 2.3's
    congrats!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?