4 channel amp question

cam5860
cam5860 Posts: 632
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
okay lets say you run your components off the fronts channels and bridge the rear channels to a sub. My question is when you balance from the left to the right shouldn't you be able to hear sound from either channel? Because I'm getting sound from the right side but not the left side.

I switched the rca's around and now I get sound from the left side but not the right side. I'm thinking in bridged mode it's just one channel. The next problem I have is when I fade to the front my sub does not cut out. But yet when I fade to the rear my fronts cut out like they are suppose too.

The only thing I can figure out is my rca's are all out of wack. I have not had much time to trouble shoot it because I just noticed it about a hour ago. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow. It's always some **** like this to keep you pissed off all the time.
Post edited by cam5860 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    You probably have the front channels in bridged mode which sums the signal to make one. Take it out of that and put it back into stereo mode.

Do you have the rear channel hooked up to a sub output off your radio? If so, it is a 'non-fading' output, meaning fading to the front, back, left, or right will not affect output.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    No cody what I had was the front channels on my amp running my components in the front and my rear channels running my sub in bridged mode. You was right about my amp being set in mono instead of stereo. I had set it up for mono because i'm only running one sub. So to get the balance right I just set it back to stereo. But the only problem i'm still having is on the fader. It will not cut my sub out when I fade to the front but yet it will cut the front out when I fade to the rear. I have checked my rca's they are right. The only thing I think it could be is maybe since I have the rear channels running off the sub rca outlets. It will not let it fade like it would normally do if you had the front and rear rca outlets running to the amp.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Your stereo doesnt know what is connected to the chans, it only knows what it is labeled for, front rear sub, so when u fade u fade rear or front, not your sub, it doesnt matter if your amp is labeled front or rear, your stereo doesnt differentiate how many amps or what kinda amps its running, its call common sense when u look at it from the labels on the stereo, if u wana turn your sub down u should use the option on the stereo or the amp itsself, fading wont do anything to it.

If i missunderstood im sorry.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    No what I am saying is generally a 4 channel amp is used for a set of midrange's in the front and a pair in the rear. People don't generally use a 4 channel amp to push subwoofers they buy a mono amp for that. so really what i'm trying to say is by running my front jacks on components and running my sub jacks on the rears channels could be **** with the fade.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Thats weird. 4 channel amps are made to run in all kinds of configurations and having the rear channels bridged to run a sub is quite normal and shouldnt be **** up your fade.

Try it in reverse. Run the front speakers off the rear channels and bridge the fronts and see if this changes anything.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    What several people have tried to say, I think, and the only thing I can think of that is causing your 'problem'...

How is your RCA from your HU connected to your amp for the sub signal? If you're using the subout on the HU, that signal doesn't receive any processing from the HU's fade operation. When you fade, that's front versus rear. And yes, you're using front and rear on your AMP, but you're only using front and sub on the HU. So, when you fade to the rear, the front goes out and the sub stays the same. When you fade to the front, the front gets louder, but the sub stays the same...'cause the signal the HU is sending to through the rear preouts is fading out, but you have your sub connected to the SUB out...which isn't being processed at all from the fade operation.

So, if that makes any sense, I think that's where your 'problem' is. You should have some kind of an operation in the HU's menu to adjust the sub preout's level.

Does that make any sense? Is that the case?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    yes audiobliss thats what I was thinking something like that. I mean don't get me wrong it's not the end of the world. It's just nice to be able to cut your sub out sometimes and listen to your components. Since generally the sub over powers the sound coming from the front speakers. Audiobliss that makes prefect sense thanks man. I just wanted to make sure my headunit was not screwed up.
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    Cool deal. I figured that had to be it.

What HU do you have? I'm sure there has to be some menu command in there somewhere to adjust the sub preout's level. It may be cumbersome to get to...then again, it may not be.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    I have your favor headunit just the model below it. It's the kenwood excelon x791. Yes It's easy to adjust the sub preout's level on the kenwood. It's in the main menu. First item actually.
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    You still driving that red jeep? If so what kind of system you got in it these days?
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    Oh yeah. I'm hoping to drive that red Jeep until I get a second car and modify the Jeep some. I'm just hoping it lasts long enough that I'll be in a position to afford two cars when the time comes to find a new DD.

I still have the same old stinking system in it, haha. It hasn't changed at all in the last year or so. You can see it in my sig, if you're interested in the equipment.

I was just thinking tonight on the way home from school that I really need to fix a few things about it. I had the system out for a while, and then threw it back in in a hurry, and my left tweeter doesn't work, I've yet to properly set my gains, and my HU is loose in the dash. I just need to take the time to address those issues.

And I really really really need a sub. Would help out the low end a lot, and then I'd be able to run the mids at a higher frequency and so could play them louder. I'm not happy with the volume output with the windows down going down the highway at 70+. And for having 75watts to each driver and Boston Acoustic components, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But I don't wanna put any more money in it right now, so it's just been stagnant for a while.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    cam, do u have a remote gain switch? that could be a quick fix to your desire to "fade" your sub
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    you talking about on the amp or the headunit?
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    I think a remote gain switch is usually connected to the amp and mounted anywhere you want it in the car.

But if you can access the sub preout's level easy enough on the HU, problem solved, right? Doesn't that do what you were wanting?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    Thats what I was thinking that little box you mount by the driver seat with the gain knob. I would not need that with the sub preout level in my headunit. But I know what you all are saying. I don't need to fade the sub when I can just cut the sub level back.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
    What output from you 791 do you have the RCA going to the rear channel of the amp at? Front, rear, or sub?
    -Cody
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    I have the sub out running to the rear channels of the amp in bridged mode.
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    Hey cody far as the balance from left to right on the sub. You was right about me having it in mono mode. I switched it back to stereo and that solved the balance issue I was having man.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
    Ok, the sub out is a non-fading output. This means if you fade to the rear, the subs will still play, your front speakers will not. If you fade to the front, your front speakers will play, your subs will also play.

If you want to fade the subs out, put them on the rear outputs of the deck, otherwise, use the built in control your deck has to adjust the level of the subs.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    i still think remote gain switch is about as easy as it can get
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    I gotcha cody. Thanks for the input bro.