Satellite internet through DishNetwork, thoughts?

edbert
edbert Posts: 1,041
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
First off, I already have DishNetwork as my satellite TV service. I currently have ATT for home phone and DSL, I want to get rid of the home phone line(don't use it) which means I have to find an alternate since DSL requires a phone line.

My question is, does it offer a quality internet connection? Does it go down a lot? Basically if you use or have used this type of service let me know what your impressions are.

I would like to switch to ATT Uverse(their FiOS service) but it won't be available until at least January 08 and I would like to start saving money now if I can.
I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
Monitor 30's - surrounds
CS1 - center
PSW10 - I'll let you guess
Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
Sony Progressive scan DVD
XBOX

SOPA since 2008
Here's my stuff.
Post edited by edbert on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2007
    I have the Wild Blue internet package via Dish Network satellite at my farm in IA. I have had it about 6 mos, and I have the middle package at $69.95 per month. So far I have been pretty impressed. The speed is not as fast as my cable internet at my apt in IL, but is plenty fast to allow working from home using the company VPN connection and email. It seems to be pretty stable and not really impacted by the big storms we have had this summer. You do want to make sure you have a stable platform to mount the dish to. I had a neighbor who had all sorts of trouble, but it was all caused by a crappy job of setting the post he put in his yard to put the dish on.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited September 2007
    I don't see how you're gonna save any money going that route. My phone and DSL together are like 35 a month, satellite was still 100 a month back when i had it last...
  • edbert
    edited September 2007
    Well, my phone and internet are currently right at $68 a month. We have some additional fees for living in Allen for phone service, so it would save about $20 bucks a month.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • dkg999
    edited September 2007
    Have you thought about going the cable TV/cable internet route? My cable company in IL has some pretty good deals for adding home phone to that package. I also have some friends using the Vonage type phone service and they like it. Cable internet is the way to go if you can get it.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited September 2007
    I think you can keep your DSL even without a phone line. you might have to pay 5 bucks a month more or something like that.
    DSL is good i like it stick with it if you can
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2007
    You should work out a better deal with your phone company. I live over in West Plano, and my phone is about 20 a month, internet is 14.99 - no way you should be paying 70 a month for phone and internet...that's highway robbery...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2007
    IMO, satellite internet is not worth the hassle, based on my 6 months of experience...just never got reliable service.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    A couple of my co-workers have this for their home office.
    Their experience was less than stellar.
    I waited and got the Fios. Downloads at 1.5 MBPS. Never goes down.
    I would just price challege your existing provider, and wait the 5 or 6 months for Fios.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited September 2007
    Had Direcway/Hughesnet for about 1.5 years. It was terrible. Went down during heavy cloud cover (like before and during thunderstorms, snow). Speeds were appalling at times and Dicectv has a EULA portion that most people miss: there is a 100mb cap per hour. If you exceed the cap, the almost completely sever your connection for the next 3 to 4 hours. That was usually the worst. Lastly though, even though the download speeds aren't 'that' bad, the upload speeds are and so is the latency. For example, if you were even considering any type of online gaming, pings would be upwards of 900ms.

I may be jaded from just my experience, but it was pure hell the majority of the time. But it was either that or dial-up since my family lives in the country, and actually...once we had the ability to get DSL from verizon (finally) we jumped out of our contract with Directv on the internet service. Paying the early termination fee was worth it.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    I have a friend who just got direct tv's internet and it is not much faster than his dial up was. You can not game on it and pages take a good 10-20 seconds to load.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    You should work out a better deal with your phone company. I live over in West Plano, and my phone is about 20 a month, internet is 14.99 - no way you should be paying 70 a month for phone and internet...that's highway robbery...

It's all based on who provides what in your area as to how much of a reach around/kiss you get as you're getting raided from the backside. Where I'm at, Embarq (Sprint's new name out here) covers the area and I have NO other choice for phone. I could use cable but it's even HIGHER here. So, I pay about $60/mo for dish (3 rooms, HD, etc...or so) plus about $115 with taxes a month for a phone line with unlimited long distance ($45), a fax line (basic land line $11), and DSL ($25). The taxes are ridiculous in TX for phones. Do the math there and you see what I mean! $35 worth of (some B/S) charges.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    If you do any gaming, satellite internet is next to useless. Depending on the provider, your service can be good or bad; but no matter what, with satellite, you're going to have high latency (a long time between when you request something and it happens), which means if you're playing a game you'll be dead before your opponent sees that you moved out of the way.

If you don't game, then it all comes down to pricing and quality of service, both of which are dependent on the provider and area.

Though I agree with someone above ; you can usually get "naked" DSL (DSL without a landline phone) these days.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    The taxes are ridiculous in TX for phones.

You can say that again. I just cancelled with ATT/SBC. I was paying $35 a month for just a local dial tone with absolutely no features. $15 was the line charge and $20 taxes/fees.

I switched to TWC digital phone and now pay ~$31 a month for unlimited long distance and ALL features. :rolleyes:
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited September 2007
    FAP. that is fair access policy, or like noimposse said, if you download more than they think is fair they will bump you down to dial up speed or less.

Also when I looked into it they told me on four seperate occasions that there was no gaurantees' at all on download speed. Once they turn it on that is it. Pay thru the contract or buy out. So if Mr. Tech hooks it up and it is pulling down 56k, tough sh&t.

That is why I have not joined up.

just my $.02
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • dkg999
    edited September 2007
    Opus - it must depend on the Dish Network retailer. Mine spent a lot of time making sure my dish and modem were all working at max speed. He wouldn't leave until he was satisfied with it, and then came back a month later to check it and make sure it was right.
    DKG999

• edbert
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I might just use the info everyone provided and try to get DishNetwork to give me a better deal on the satellite side and then check to see about the "naked" DSL.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited September 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Opus - it must depend on the Dish Network retailer. Mine spent a lot of time making sure my dish and modem were all working at max speed. He wouldn't leave until he was satisfied with it, and then came back a month later to check it and make sure it was right.

Yep. Good point. I do remember though when I was researching Wild Blue I came across several unhappy customers fighting the refund policy for service that was subpar at best. Anyway glad it works for you maybe I will look back into it.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited September 2007
    I have had wildblue for 2 years now and the only reason i keep it is because there is nothing else available. Just today alone, I lost my connection for about 15 minutes. called the 800 nbr and there was an outage in the middle of the day. this happens quite often for me. Some people have no issues some do, i fall in between. I only recommend them if you cannot get anything else. The thing that sucks is the latency, when logging into work you type and then 2 seconds later you letters appear on the screen. anyway thats my rant.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18