QUESTION....SDA-crs tweeters

Options
dee1949
dee1949 Posts: 1,425
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Ciao!
Have a pair of the sda-crs. Should have SL1000 tweeters...current arrangement....sl1000's on inside position and sl 2000's outside position....a little bright.....which is better position temporarily...inside or outside for the sl1000's......NEED UNO sl1000 to restore. Can trade 1 or 2 sl2000's for sl1000's or peerless.

thank you guys....great info onsite
Post edited by dee1949 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dee1949 wrote: »
    Ciao!
    Have a pair of the sda-crs. Should have SL1000 tweeters...current arrangement....sl1000's on inside position and sl 2000's outside position....a little bright.....which is better position temporarily...inside or outside for the sl1000's......NEED UNO sl1000 to restore. Can trade 1 or 2 sl2000's for sl1000's or peerless.

thank you guys....great info onsite

I might have one good SL1000 tweeter.. let me check though.. If I can find it and it's good.. you can have it for just the cost of shipping :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Hi Dee!

Let me suggest that you purchase the replacement tweeters from Polk. The replacement tweeters are RDO-194. These soft dome tweeters sound much smoother than the originals. They are not exactly drop in replacements. They can be installed easily if you are carefull and willing to drill a couple of new holes, and cut some gasket material to fit. If you are skilled with using a Dremel tool, then you can enlarge the recess in the front baffle, drill a couple of holes and your in business.

I don't think you will be happy with installing SL1000 or 2000 tweeters. The replacmetn tweeters cost about $48/each.

Good luck!
    Carl

• dee1949
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ....I would prefer to RESTORE if possible...I am retired and audio is my LUV....like to see and hear things as they were. I enjoy the sda-crs's as they are....use them more than my DCM Time Window 3's....party speakers....no more parties at my age...but won't part with them.

Thank you for all the input! dee
  • dee1949
    edited September 2007
    Options
    .....just won an auction for a Panamax 1000+ on flea-bay. Will it make a difference in SOUND? Live in a house with 60 amp feed and FUSES....from the 1930's.

B&K st-140
    B&K Pro10mc pre
    MIT-2 interconnects
    Good ??? speaker cables

Thanks again for INPUT...dee
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dee1949 wrote: »
    ....I would prefer to RESTORE if possible...I am retired and audio is my LUV....like to see and hear things as they were. I enjoy the sda-crs's as they are....use them more than my DCM Time Window 3's....party speakers....no more parties at my age...but won't part with them.

Thank you for all the input! dee

dee you would be surprised at the number of members here that are your age if that 1949 reflects your born on date, me being one of them. I put the new silk dome tweeters in all my Polks including the CRS pair and very happy with what they did to the sound. But I understand your concern of change, I keep all the original tweeters incase I want to go back.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • dee1949
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ....I was, and still am an ARchitect...believe in Restoration. Always looking for a second pair to play with. Had a pair of the SDA II's....un_handsome to be KIND....but OH! ....the sound. The CRS's are a compromise.
    Also passed thru the Monitor 4's, 5's, 10's and rta11-tls.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    so your CRS's have two tweeters then i take it?
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dee1949, you're in luck.. i found the one SL1000 tweeter in good working condition.

private message me your address and throw $10 my way for shipping.. and i'll send it out. it's boxed up in a snug little box which polk uses to send out new tweeters in... and that will be placed inside another larger box to ship out.
  • dee1949
    edited September 2007
    Options
    .....I use fireFOX....hope the email reaches YOU! Thank YOU

...BEST support on the NET.....THANK you all.....can't wait to hear what they SHOULD sound like.

...Wish my hearing was like it WAS.....with Dynaco st70 and ADVENTS....still have the DYnaco.....